Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Question of the day

Comments

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,377
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2014

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

but..but ESPN said the SEC is a NFL developmental league! It's so special! As if the rest of D1a isn't the same f****** thing

Why does the SEC bother you so much? Jealous?
    They don't really play anybody out of conference, they play 8 games, they get an unbalanced amount of media hype etc. If everyone was held to the same standard it would be different. You've been on here on a regular basis. Surely you've read Puppy's and my reasoning.
    They don't really play anyone out of conference, huh? Have you seen our non-conference schedule? We are in no position to talk, and everyone schedules cupcakes.

Tennessee plays at Oklahoma this year, South Carolina goes to Clemson, Georgia gets Clemson at home, LSU plays Wisconsin, Auburn goes to K State, I think Florida plays FSU every year.

Last year Florida played FSU and at Miami, Georgia went to Clemson, South Carolina hosted Clemson and went to UCF, LSU played TCU at a neutral site, Tennessee went to Oregon, Ole Miss went to Texas.

Then there's the fact that they won 7 BCS titles in a row, with 9 total. Guess how many the other conferences have combined? FIVE. The next best conferences, Big 12 and ACC, only have TWO. The SEC also has the best winning percentage out of all the major conferences in BCS bowls.

The hype is justified, and frankly, I'm sick and tired of hearing you and plss doog it up about it.

It says a lot that you are siding with plss on a football argument. Think about that for a bit.
    Wow, six games out of 48? How many times do they play shitshows like McNeese St, Troy, Furman, Citadel, and other directional schools Sherlock? Great case you have there. They were playing shit o.o.c. schedules for a long time, started to get away with it after winning a couple NCs, and now (sadly) other conferences followed, and it's dragged down college football in the process. You need to go back beyond the late 2000s. I'm guessing you're one of the types who started following college football as a sophomore in college or something. There's nothing wrong with that, but this goes back a while.

I've never said they aren't good, but they are overrated. When you start out with seven or eight teams in the top 25, and 3-5 in the top 12, it's way easier to remain highly ranked.

Here's a scenario:

South Carolina starts out ranked 8th, goes 5-0, climbs up to 3rd, then loses a close one at no. 6 LSU. Media morons harp about how they shouldn't even drop a spot because the SEC is almost as good as the Jaguars etc., you're going to get beat up playing each other...maybe they should drop one spot, or two, but that's it! They're still in the NC hunt! They only lost one game! It's the SEC! What I wrote is only a slight embellishment. Listen to some of these morons sometime.

Oh for fuck's sake. I laid out the facts for you. You can go look up who's put more players into the NFL while you're at it. They have earned that media hype 100%. Head and shoulders above the rest of the nation over the last 15 years or so. Yeah, the media goes a bit overboard. Especially ESPN. But that doesn't change the facts and the justification for calling the SEC the best conference.

If I had a dime for every time a fucktard Pac-Twoolve fan spewed hatred for the SEC, I'd be a millionaire. It's pretty fucking stupid to argue that they don't play anyone, when they dominate in BCS bowls and title games. "They played a weak OOC schedule to get there, so they didn't deserve to be in the national title games that they won!!!!1" Great logic there. Overrated my ass!
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TTJ said:

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

but..but ESPN said the SEC is a NFL developmental league! It's so special! As if the rest of D1a isn't the same f****** thing

They don't really play anybody out of conference, they play 8 games, they get an unbalanced amount of media hype etc. If everyone was held to the same standard it would be different. You've been on here on a regular basis. Surely you've read Puppy's and my reasoning.
    They don't really play anyone out of conference, huh? Have you seen our non-conference schedule? We are in no position to talk, and everyone schedules cupcakes.

Tennessee plays at Oklahoma this year, South Carolina goes to Clemson, Georgia gets Clemson at home, LSU plays Wisconsin, Auburn goes to K State, I think Florida plays FSU every year.

Last year Florida played FSU and at Miami, Georgia went to Clemson, South Carolina hosted Clemson and went to UCF, LSU played TCU at a neutral site, Tennessee went to Oregon, Ole Miss went to Texas.

Then there's the fact that they won 7 BCS titles in a row, with 9 total. Guess how many the other conferences have combined? FIVE. The next best conferences, Big 12 and ACC, only have TWO. The SEC also has the best winning percentage out of all the major conferences in BCS bowls.

The hype is justified, and frankly, I'm sick and tired of hearing you and plss doog it up about it.

It says a lot that you are siding with plss on a football argument. Think about that for a bit.
    Wow, six games out of 48? How many times do they play shitshows like McNeese St, Troy, Furman, Citadel, and other directional schools Sherlock? Great case you have there. They were playing shit o.o.c. schedules for a long time, started to get away with it after winning a couple NCs, and now (sadly) other conferences followed, and it's dragged down college football in the process. You need to go back beyond the late 2000s. I'm guessing you're one of the types who started following college football as a sophomore in college or something. There's nothing wrong with that, but this goes back a while.

I've never said they aren't good, but they are overrated. When you start out with seven or eight teams in the top 25, and 3-5 in the top 12, it's way easier to remain highly ranked.

Here's a scenario:

South Carolina starts out ranked 8th, goes 5-0, climbs up to 3rd, then loses a close one at no. 6 LSU. Media morons harp about how they shouldn't even drop a spot because the SEC is almost as good as the Jaguars etc., you're going to get beat up playing each other...maybe they should drop one spot, or two, but that's it! They're still in the NC hunt! They only lost one game! It's the SEC! What I wrote is only a slight embellishment. Listen to some of these morons sometime.

I probably mention this about once a year, but it bears repeating: The Florida Gators haven't played a regular-season, non-conference game outside the state of Florida since 1993.
    And they play FSU every year, Miami about every other year.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    PurpleJ said:

TTJ said:

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

Here's a scenario:

I probably mention this about once a year, but it bears repeating: The Florida Gators haven't played a regular-season, non-conference game outside the state of Florida since 1993.
    Since 2008, UF has played UMiami and MiamiU an equal number of times. Once each.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TTJ said:

PurpleJ said:

TTJ said:

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

Here's a scenario:

Since 2008, UF has played UMiami and MiamiU an equal number of times. Once each.
    I recall it being more frequent than that prior to 2008. Good point, though.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    The 7 - title run is bogus. 1 of those pitted 2 sec teams against each other. How can another conference prove anything? Now Slive and ESPN expect 2 teams in the playoff each year. Can't wait to see Bambi and Georgia lose each year against the other conferences held out of the previous BCS championships. There will be no more easy paths to the title for Slime and Co. Play or pay bitch
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2014

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

Here's a scenario:

Oh for fuck's sake. I laid out the facts for you. You can go look up who's put more players into the NFL while you're at it. They have earned that media hype 100%. Head and shoulders above the rest of the nation over the last 15 years or so. Yeah, the media goes a bit overboard. Especially ESPN. But that doesn't change the facts and the justification for calling the SEC the best conference.

If I had a dime for every time a fucktard Pac-Twoolve fan spewed hatred for the SEC, I'd be a millionaire. It's pretty fucking stupid to argue that they don't play anyone, when they dominate in BCS bowls and title games. "They played a weak OOC schedule to get there, so they didn't deserve to be in the national title games that they won!!!!1" Great logic there. Overrated my ass!
    Purple you are fucking ignant . Until the SEC proves it out of conference like the pac12, big10 and big12 does you can swallow the amount of players sent to the NFL. 4 teams send the majority of players. LSU sent 9 bitch, Alabama similar bla bla. Alabama is playing SC, LSU the badgers. Keep scheduling like that AND winning...and I'll respect the SEC. Oklahoma showed just how good all that talent at Alabama was. Fuck your dumbass painfully j!
    They proved it out of conference when it counts.

BCS Title Game Records:
    SEC 9-2 (one of those losses was the Bama/LSU game)
    Big 12: 2-5
    ACC: 2-2
    Big East: 1-2
    Big 10: 1-2
    Pac-12: 1*-2 (would be 2-2 if not for USC vacating the 2005 title)

Overall BCS Bowl Game Records:
    SEC: 17-10 (63%)
    Pac-12: 12-8 (60%) - take out USC and it's 7-7 (50%)
    Big East: 8-7 (53.3%)
    Big 10: 13-15 (46.4%)
    Big 12: 10-12 (45.5%)
    ACC: 5-13 (27.8%)

The only stats that matter are championships and major bowl wins. It's not even close.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Let's look at the OOC schedules of teams that played the SEC in the title game. Shall we?

2013 FSU: @Pitt, Nevada, Bethune-Cookman, Florida (SEC teams don't play anyone, though)
    2012 Notre Dame: Independent school. Argument isn't valid here. Definitely earned their spot, but got raped by Bama.
    2011: The infamous all-SEC title game... Bama played at Penn St. and LSU beat Oregon OOC
    2010 Oregon: New Mexico, @Tennessee (SEC teams don't play anyone, though), Portland St.
    2009 Texas: Louisiana-Monroe, @Wyoming, UTEP, Central Florida
    2008: Chattanooga, Cincinnati, UW (0-12 baby!!!), TCU
    2007 Ohio St: Youngstown St. Akron, @Washington , Kent St.
    2006 Ohio St: Northern Illinois, @Texas, Cincinnati, Bowling Green
    2003 Oklahoma: North Texas, @Alabama (SEC teams don't play anyone, though), UCLA
    1998 FSU: Texas A/M, USC, @Miami, Florida (one loss team, but also played the toughest schedule on this list)

As you can see, most of the teams that "earned" their trip to the title game versus SEC opponents played cupcake schedules OOC, save for 1998 FSU, 2003 Oklahoma, and Notre Dame in 2012.

• allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    PurpleJ said:

Let's look at the OOC schedules of teams that played the SEC in the title game. Shall we?

2013 FSU: @Pitt, Nevada, Bethune-Cookman, Florida (SEC teams don't play anyone, though)
    2012 Notre Dame: Independent school. Argument isn't valid here. Definitely earned their spot, but got raped by Bama.
    2011: The infamous all-SEC title game... Bama played at Penn St. and LSU beat Oregon OOC
    2010 Oregon: New Mexico, @Tennessee (SEC teams don't play anyone, though), Portland St.
    2003 Oklahoma: North Texas, @Alabama (SEC teams don't play anyone, though), UCLA
    1998 FSU: Texas A/M, USC, @Miami, Florida (one loss team, but also played the toughest schedule on this list)

As you can see, most of the teams that "earned" their trip to the title game versus SEC opponents played cupcake schedules OOC, save for 1998 FSU, 2003 Oklahoma, and Notre Dame in 2012.

You're wasting your time with PLSS and Bill. I laid out last years OOC schedules and showed that the SEC played as tough or tougher of a schedule as anyone. They'll just ignore facts.

PLSS I understand. I don't know why Bill is such a retard about it though.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,713
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited July 2014

PurpleJ said:

You're wasting your time with PLSS and Bill. I laid out last years OOC schedules and showed that the SEC played as tough or tougher of a schedule as anyone. They'll just ignore facts.

PLSS I understand. I don't know why Bill is such a retard about it though.
    That's one fucking year. You're completely missing the long term trend. This didn't start in 2012. Do I need to dredge out the OOC schedules from 2006, 2007, 2008 etc.? Like Puppy said, if every conference was treated equally every year, I wouldn't be bitching about it. That hasn't been the case though.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nick Saban was the lone head coach that was for the SEC playing a nine-game conference football schedule. He has also proposed the power five conferences only play each other, meaning no games against the FCS and the other FBS conferences (AAC, C-USA, MAC, MWC, and Sun Belt).

Today Saban told reporters on playing FCS schools “We try not to do it now, but sometimes it’s all that we have left to schedule 12 games. It’s not by choice that we want to do it. The first people that need to be taken for consideration — who get no consideration — are the fans and people who support the program.”

Alabama hosts Western Carolina this season on Nov. 22, but future games against FCS teams have not been announced.

fbschedules.com/2014/05/sec-coaches-divided-scheduling-fcs-teams/

Leave my fucking Tide out of this!