Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,906
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,521
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    It's behind a paywall but I'm guessing they are saying UW is being very selective since the recruiting footprint has expanded from first from WA / Cali / Hawaii to include AZ and TX more to now even including the Midwest due to the staff's ties there. Heck, they even pulled Curley Reed from Louisiana and are offering guys from the Carolinas and Florida (Neuheisel did pull a couple of guys from Florida back in the day like Frederick & Alexis).
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nice whiff on the LB from Yelm who just committed to Whoregon. Not cool.
  • Options
    BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,245
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Not saying UW is any better at developing linebackers (we used to be) but how do you watch Oregon totally mismanage Justin Flowe and Noah Sewell, 2x 5* recruits, and decide that's the best place for you.

Yes, different coaching staff now... but Sewell fell from a back end of the 1st round LB to the 5th under this staff. That Oregon D got gashed all last season and its probably gonna me more of the same.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Not saying UW is any better at developing linebackers (we used to be) but how do you watch Oregon totally mismanage Justin Flowe and Noah Sewell, 2x 5* recruits, and decide that's the best place for you.

Yes, different coaching staff now... but Sewell fell from a back end of the 1st round LB to the 5th under this staff. That Oregon D got gashed all last season and its probably gonna me more of the same.
    Right. Armchair QB but stupid fucking decision on this kids behalf. At least this staff will try and develop… verdicts still out but Bryant and the other LB from last years class will be good barometers for when they “get their guys in.”
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,559
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

UW has to brand repair after 2020 and 2021

This staff has only been here a year and a half.

If they consistently have the program rolling recruiting will drastically improve
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

If they consistently have the program rolling recruiting will drastically improve
    Next year will be key. KDB is taking top 20 talent and producing top 10 results, maybe top 5. Can he take top 30-40 talent and keep the program in the top 15-20? If he can I’d assume the recruiting rankings should climb in the future. Not sure they’re ever going to be a top 10 recruiting staff. KDB doesn’t seem like the same sort of closer that Pete was but top 11-20 on the yearly would be great.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Top 10-15 and I’m happy but not sure if that’s realistic.

Morgan was helping to close some ridiculous classes pre-NIL so how long does his “process” take… ? A guy with his reputation isn’t needed to close the type of players we’ve been getting.

So… I’m waiting.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,487
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

You mean this isn't the strategy?

Wave those pom poms quook. NOC about in state anymore unless it's in SEC country.

Only white flag I've ever seen is from your pussy fans, coach and QB last November..

• Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Next year will be key. KDB is taking top 20 talent and producing top 10 results, maybe top 5. Can he take top 30-40 talent and keep the program in the top 15-20? If he can I’d assume the recruiting rankings should climb in the future. Not sure they’re ever going to be a top 10 recruiting staff. KDB doesn’t seem like the same sort of closer that Pete was but top 11-20 on the yearly would be great.
    Too soon. Strong year this year and going to the BIG could change this meaningfully.
  • Options
    sinceredawgsinceredawg Member Posts: 774
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    It wasn't long ago the narrative was that UW was dropping the ball by not prioritizing Washington kids. That the in-state coaches were noticing it and were pissed off about it. And how that was supposedly a big toxic deal.

Don't know if that was bullshit. Or how it relates to this current narrative. But just noting that the story that everyone's all pissed off about has changed a bit.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,487
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

AEB said:

Too soon. Strong year this year and going to the BIG could change this meaningfully.
    Next year the team will have top 30-40 level talent. Lakes class (#26) and DeBoers three classes (#59, #29, currently #55) will be the team. Add in whatever transfers jump on board and you’re hoping they stay in the top 20. If they do win big this year and next pair that success with being in the B1G and maybe things can improve on the trail with the staff they have. I like the kids they’re bringing in, I really do, but a Shaq Thompson or Buttah Baker are pretty nice to have sometims.

The trail, that’s what I like to call recruiting. That’s what I like to do. The trail.
    You could argue Emeka I guess, but there hasn't been a Budda Baker in the state of Washington since Budda Baker. He was a generational player to get and all the WA high school people said it at the time.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,521
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

It wasn't long ago the narrative was that UW was dropping the ball by not prioritizing Washington kids. That the in-state coaches were noticing it and were pissed off about it. And how that was supposedly a big toxic deal.

Don't know if that was bullshit. Or how it relates to this current narrative. But just noting that the story that everyone's all pissed off about has changed a bit.

Yeah, that was part of Jimmy Lake's schtick that he was so cool and any coach or player who he talked to was graced with his attention.

A lot has changed since then, principally NIL and the new staff's willingness to cast a wider net due to their connections. NIL hurts UW in-state in that they don't seem willing (yet) to pay top HS recruits which is probably why Conerly went to Oregon and maybe Platt too. UW does seem willing to pay proven college players via the transfer portal which is a good first step.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

Yeah, that was part of Jimmy Lake's schtick that he was so cool and any coach or player who he talked to was graced with his attention.

A lot has changed since then, principally NIL and the new staff's willingness to cast a wider net due to their connections. NIL hurts UW in-state in that they don't seem willing (yet) to pay top HS recruits which is probably why Conerly went to Oregon and maybe Platt too. UW does seem willing to pay proven college players via the transfer portal which is a good first step.
    Rumor is conerly has close to 1M reasons to pick whoregon. I have zero substantiating evidence so don’t twist.