Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

An explanation of UW's in-state recruiting strategy

Comments

• Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

AEB said:

Nice whiff on the LB from Yelm who just committed to Whoregon. Not cool.

Not saying UW is any better at developing linebackers (we used to be) but how do you watch Oregon totally mismanage Justin Flowe and Noah Sewell, 2x 5* recruits, and decide that's the best place for you.

Yes, different coaching staff now... but Sewell fell from a back end of the 1st round LB to the 5th under this staff. That Oregon D got gashed all last season and its probably gonna me more of the same.
    UW has to brand repair after 2020 and 2021

This staff has only been here a year and a half.

If they consistently have the program rolling recruiting will drastically improve
    Next year will be key. KDB is taking top 20 talent and producing top 10 results, maybe top 5. Can he take top 30-40 talent and keep the program in the top 15-20? If he can I’d assume the recruiting rankings should climb in the future. Not sure they’re ever going to be a top 10 recruiting staff. KDB doesn’t seem like the same sort of closer that Pete was but top 11-20 on the yearly would be great.
    Too soon. Strong year this year and going to the BIG could change this meaningfully.
    Next year the team will have top 30-40 level talent. Lakes class (#26) and DeBoers three classes (#59, #29, currently #55) will be the team. Add in whatever transfers jump on board and you’re hoping they stay in the top 20. If they do win big this year and next pair that success with being in the B1G and maybe things can improve on the trail with the staff they have. I like the kids they’re bringing in, I really do, but a Shaq Thompson or Buttah Baker are pretty nice to have sometims.

The trail, that’s what I like to call recruiting. That’s what I like to do. The trail.
    You could argue Emeka I guess, but there hasn't been a Budda Baker in the state of Washington since Budda Baker. He was a generational player to get and all the WA high school people said it at the time.
    I wasn’t meaning local, just highly sought after. Shaq and Budda are freaky athletes and great at football. Guys like that paired with the tough football kids that are a couple inches too short or a step too slow that KDB seems to like bringing in are a pretty good combo. This staff hasn’t sniffed a recruiting win for a five star or high four star athlete yet. I’m sure NIL has something to do with that.
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,488
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

WDWHA.

Quooks aren't even jerking off to this kid as much as they did Keith Brown (what happened to him btw).

Speaks volumes.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,488
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

AEB said:

Not saying UW is any better at developing linebackers (we used to be) but how do you watch Oregon totally mismanage Justin Flowe and Noah Sewell, 2x 5* recruits, and decide that's the best place for you.

Yes, different coaching staff now... but Sewell fell from a back end of the 1st round LB to the 5th under this staff. That Oregon D got gashed all last season and its probably gonna me more of the same.

If they consistently have the program rolling recruiting will drastically improve
    Next year will be key. KDB is taking top 20 talent and producing top 10 results, maybe top 5. Can he take top 30-40 talent and keep the program in the top 15-20? If he can I’d assume the recruiting rankings should climb in the future. Not sure they’re ever going to be a top 10 recruiting staff. KDB doesn’t seem like the same sort of closer that Pete was but top 11-20 on the yearly would be great.
    Too soon. Strong year this year and going to the BIG could change this meaningfully.
    Next year the team will have top 30-40 level talent. Lakes class (#26) and DeBoers three classes (#59, #29, currently #55) will be the team. Add in whatever transfers jump on board and you’re hoping they stay in the top 20. If they do win big this year and next pair that success with being in the B1G and maybe things can improve on the trail with the staff they have. I like the kids they’re bringing in, I really do, but a Shaq Thompson or Buttah Baker are pretty nice to have sometims.

The trail, that’s what I like to call recruiting. That’s what I like to do. The trail.
    You could argue Emeka I guess, but there hasn't been a Budda Baker in the state of Washington since Budda Baker. He was a generational player to get and all the WA high school people said it at the time.
    I wasn’t meaning local, just highly sought after. Shaq and Budda are freaky athletes and great at football. Guys like that paired with the tough football kids that are a couple inches too short or a step too slow that KDB seems to like bringing in are a pretty good combo. This staff hasn’t sniffed a recruiting win for a five star or high four star athlete yet. I’m sure NIL has something to do with that.
    My point is that Baker was a 4 star, but everyone who watched WA hs football knew he was a generational talent, and a true 5 star.

Skinny, Smalls, Huard, the fat OL from Rainier Beach, JT, are mostly likely undeserving of their 5 star status.

But all the 247 guys think they're 5 star which is all the quooks care about.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,563
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    haie said:

haie said:

AEB said:

My point is that Baker was a 4 star, but everyone who watched WA hs football knew he was a generational talent, and a true 5 star.

Skinny, Smalls, Huard, the fat OL from Rainier Beach, JT, are mostly likely undeserving of their 5 star status.

Most likely?

They are pretty much 2 stars in impact and thats being generous
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    chuck said:

haie said:

AEB said:

I don't know, but I think NIL is almost all of it. UW isn't offering upfront money to HS prospects. That's not the "lane" Cohen talked about. They're trying to sell HS kids on the idea that, if they come in and excel, the money will be there. I don't think that sales pitch resonates with too many kids when they have other schools flashing big $ enticements to sign.

Maybe the new AD will shift course. I hope so. I think Deboer has made it clear he hopes so too.
    Everything I’ve heard and had explained to be supports that this is the approach that is being taken with HS players at the high end

It’s a highly flawed strategy … best parallel example to me is that HS recruiting is similar to corporate R&D investment. It doesn’t always pan out but when it does it’s a winner

Given that we require booster dollars to help balance the Athletic Dept budget I don’t know how much more is out there from donors to supplement NIL. Getting more money from the Big10 should in theory allow for more donor money to go towards NIL initiatives.

The other thing that needs to be looked at by the new AD is how much of the ancillary/support programs that Jen was a huge proponent of are actually adding value … my guess is there is some spend that can be stripped and repurposed.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,522
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

HFNY said:

It wasn't long ago the narrative was that UW was dropping the ball by not prioritizing Washington kids. That the in-state coaches were noticing it and were pissed off about it. And how that was supposedly a big toxic deal.

Don't know if that was bullshit. Or how it relates to this current narrative. But just noting that the story that everyone's all pissed off about has changed a bit.

Yeah, that was part of Jimmy Lake's schtick that he was so cool and any coach or player who he talked to was graced with his attention.

A lot has changed since then, principally NIL and the new staff's willingness to cast a wider net due to their connections. NIL hurts UW in-state in that they don't seem willing (yet) to pay top HS recruits which is probably why Conerly went to Oregon and maybe Platt too. UW does seem willing to pay proven college players via the transfer portal which is a good first step.
    Rumor is conerly has close to 1M reasons to pick whoregon. I have zero substantiating evidence so don’t twist.
    The rumor I heard was $100k a year.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,910
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

HFNY said:

It wasn't long ago the narrative was that UW was dropping the ball by not prioritizing Washington kids. That the in-state coaches were noticing it and were pissed off about it. And how that was supposedly a big toxic deal.

Don't know if that was bullshit. Or how it relates to this current narrative. But just noting that the story that everyone's all pissed off about has changed a bit.

Yeah, that was part of Jimmy Lake's schtick that he was so cool and any coach or player who he talked to was graced with his attention.

A lot has changed since then, principally NIL and the new staff's willingness to cast a wider net due to their connections. NIL hurts UW in-state in that they don't seem willing (yet) to pay top HS recruits which is probably why Conerly went to Oregon and maybe Platt too. UW does seem willing to pay proven college players via the transfer portal which is a good first step.
    Rumor is conerly has close to 1M reasons to pick whoregon. I have zero substantiating evidence so don’t twist.
    The rumor I heard was $100k a year.
    Yeah, that seems a little more realistic.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited September 2023

haie said:

haie said:

AEB said:

I’ve always made it simple. It’s not hard to dominate Washington high school football. A real 5 star does. These guys aren’t playing other legit PAC 12 or national guys like the recruits from the LA area.Washington recruits might play against one or two the whole season.
    I actually disagree with you a bit on this.

There are plenty of guys who put up big stats in WA, especially at the 3A and 2A level, who end up in the Big Sky.

They are fully capable of doing well in P5 FBS but they didnt have the measurables, didnt do the circle jerk camp scenes, etc.

Eastern and Boise State used to be full of these types of players. They still are to a certain extent, but the coaching isnt as good as it used to be at the smaller programs in the greater Northwest.

Dudes like Brian Urlacher, Cooper Kupp, Kellen Moore etc.

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,522
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

haie said:

haie said:

AEB said:

I’ve always made it simple. It’s not hard to dominate Washington high school football. A real 5 star does. These guys aren’t playing other legit PAC 12 or national guys like the recruits from the LA area.Washington recruits might play against one or two the whole season.

There are plenty of guys who put up big stats in WA, especially at the 3A and 2A level, who end up in the Big Sky.

They are fully capable of doing well in P5 FBS but they didnt have the measurables, didnt do the circle jerk camp scenes, etc.

Eastern and Boise State used to be full of these types of players. They still are to a certain extent, but the coaching isnt as good as it used to be at the smaller programs in the greater Northwest.

How does one get an invite to the circle jerk camp scenes? Asking for a fren.
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

WDWHA.

Quooks aren't even jerking off to this kid as much as they did Keith Brown (what happened to him btw).

Speaks volumes.
    Guys like you were squirting when Brown visited uw.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2023

haie said:

haie said:

AEB said:

The guys going to Central dominate. That’s the point I’m making. When Smalls was a junior it was reported that incoming freshman Malik Agbo dominated him but he still kept his ranking.
  • Options
    Founders Club

haie said:

haie said:

AEB said:

The guys going to Central dominate. That’s the point I’m making. When Smalls was a junior it was reported that incoming freshman Malik Agbo dominated him but he still kept his
    ranking.

Gotcha, misunderstood that and completely agree

• Options
    DucksFCDucksFC Member Posts: 1,107
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

WDWHA.

Speaks volumes.
    he's a backup at Louisville now and still sucks.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,523
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I know I'm a broken record on this but it certainly feels like the state's recruits have started to suck the past five years and there's a lot of guys who get rated well early, peak, and then end up only have commutable offers from mid-level power conference programs. On top of that, feels like there are way less diamond in the rough types who end up at WSU or the Beav or some random program like that and you're like why the fuck didn't UW recruit that guy?

Always forget Budda wasn't a five star for some reason. Super strange. The only recent true five star guy it's seemed lately was Egbuka and I trusted him because he was a late bloomer. JT technically probably was one but wonder if he an early bloomer and still a guy who should be playing DT. He might be an ASJ who should be playing a less glamour position (ASJ should have been an OT) and he will be good but not spectacular and be a 2nd round pick.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,359
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    With no facts at all to back me up I think less kids play football from pee wee to high school