Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Worst opening season losses

13»

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,507 Swaye's Wigwam

I mean Locker did not live in the film room

tuff to do better than 4/20 passing against Nebraska when you can't see!
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,987
    chuck said:

BYU in 2010 was tuff. Coming off winning the last two games of 2009, including a closing blowout over ranked Cal, and Locker back, it felt like there was some positive momentum for the first time in a long time. Then they couldn't stop JJ DiLuigi and Locker looked lost against a mid major.

iDawg and still podded then. We put it all on that game

If Sark couldn't win he wasn't the guy
    I was there. The remember walking out of byu realizing Nebraska was going to destroy us in a couple of weeks. It came true. Don James never had to face a Taylor Martinez led Nebraska.

Locker may have had the worst qb box score in the history of the program vs Nebraska that game. Funny that someone still took him in the first round.
    And that nobody would touch Stanback as a QB.
    The only thing Locker was better at than Stanback was running the ball and running option plays. Makes a lot of sense that someone in the NFL would value that so much.
    Although in the open field Stanback was a legitimate threat to take it to the house. No many guys have 10.4 100 meter speed. He did.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,987
    edited August 2023
    chuck said:

BYU in 2010 was tuff. Coming off winning the last two games of 2009, including a closing blowout over ranked Cal, and Locker back, it felt like there was some positive momentum for the first time in a long time. Then they couldn't stop JJ DiLuigi and Locker looked lost against a mid major.

I was there. The remember walking out of byu realizing Nebraska was going to destroy us in a couple of weeks. It came true. Don James never had to face a Taylor Martinez led Nebraska.

Locker may have had the worst qb box score in the history of the program vs Nebraska that game. Funny that someone still took him in the first round.
    The only thing Locker was better at than Stanback was running the ball and running option plays. Makes a lot of sense that someone in the NFL would value that so much.
    Just on the off chance this is sarcasm, I wonder if running from the position was, at the time, as well appreciated as it is now. I suppose Vick was already a pro so maybe. But it's not like Stanback was immobile and I'm not saying Stanback should have been taken in the early rounds. But Lockner in the first based on nothing but physical potential and Stanback not at all despite gobs of physical potential ... I just don't see it. The kid was every bit the athlete Lockner was, and I'd argue even more rare given his borderline world class sprinter speed to go with the other things.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,944 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Although in the open field Stanback was a legitimate threat to take it to the house. No many guys have 10.4 100 meter speed. He did.
    The only sarcasm was the NFL valuing Locker's one strength, running the ball, so much more than what Stanback offered, which (just my opinion) much more potential as a passer.

Stanback was obviously faster but I think Locker was quite a bit better as a ball carrier. He had more than enough speed, better instincts and could run through more contact. I just think that in better days he would've landed at running back at UW instead of QB.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,466 Founders Club

In honor of losing to Boise and looking retarded for our off season natty what are some of your lowlights

1985 BYU is near the top coming off of Don James first natty and getting blown out by the pretender

Sneaky one 1994 losing at USC before beating Ohio State, Miami and UCLA

Sark losing to BYU when we gambled the entire season on it

Petersen losing to Auburn

Wasn't Oklahoma State the opener in '85?
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,948 Founders Club

I forgot Tennessee drafted Locker and then laughed when I realized they took Locker 2.0 this year with Will Levis.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,948 Founders Club

In honor of losing to Boise and looking retarded for our off season natty what are some of your lowlights

1985 BYU is near the top coming off of Don James first natty and getting blown out by the pretender

Sneaky one 1994 losing at USC before beating Ohio State, Miami and UCLA

Sark losing to BYU when we gambled the entire season on it

Petersen losing to Auburn

Wasn't Oklahoma State the opener in '85?
    Stalin is correct.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/washington/1985-schedule.html
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,631 Founders Club
    I like my version better

They lost to Okie State too