Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Leaderboard Update From the 1st Annual Central Oregon Hardcore Husky Golf Tournament

Comments

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,236
    Tequilla said:

I've got to get down to play a round with the Pisser on his home track

Proud of the progress that he's made and feel like he's gradually getting to the point where he needs a full bag

Pisser's home course is mighty difficult if you don't regularly play it ... you can get in some bad spots and it makes you look stupid quickly

The way I'm playing right now I feel like I could actually shoot a good number there in relation to my handicap

Mental or physical?
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,170

Tequilla said:

I've got to get down to play a round with the Pisser on his home track

Proud of the progress that he's made and feel like he's gradually getting to the point where he needs a full bag

Pisser's home course is mighty difficult if you don't regularly play it ... you can get in some bad spots and it makes you look stupid quickly

The way I'm playing right now I feel like I could actually shoot a good number there in relation to my handicap

Mental or physical?
    Now more than ever.

Abundance (?)
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,625 Standard Supporter
    It has taken a couple of years of COVID golfing (more time) to get my index under 17. I spent plenty of time in the mid 20s and then low 20s but this year has been a lot better.

Low 90s and high 80s is so much more fun than rarely breaking 100.

CSB. It’s hard.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,097 Founders Club

The Yellas do not live along one of the fairways. Sad.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,157 Founders Club

No Yella... Up until this year I hadn't played golf in 14 years. Yesterday was my 2nd time in 14 years on a real course. (I played a par 3 twice last weekend).

We had a great, great time. Often it felt like we had the course to ourselves. The greens were fucking brutal.

So stalins a natural or yellas twash.
    I'm trash as fuck at golf, but making slow and steady progress. If I could be a low 90s guysm some day I'd take it.
    I’m surprised your superior rowing boat skills didn’t transfer over to the links.
    There's zero correlation between what it takes to be skrong at row boat and what it takes to be good at golf.
    Disagree. Why do you hate core strength and centrifugal leverage?

pawz said:

No Yella... Up until this year I hadn't played golf in 14 years. Yesterday was my 2nd time in 14 years on a real course. (I played a par 3 twice last weekend).

We had a great, great time. Often it felt like we had the course to ourselves. The greens were fucking brutal.

I'm trash as fuck at golf, but making slow and steady progress. If I could be a low 90s guysm some day I'd take it.
    I’m surprised your superior rowing boat skills didn’t transfer over to the links.
    There's zero correlation between what it takes to be skrong at row boat and what it takes to be good at golf.

JTFC. Skiing yes. Golf no.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,157 Founders Club
    edited August 2023

pawz said:

T ?

I’m right on this one. Take as much tim as you need.

Also, me and my 100+ scorecard are in for the 2nd annual tourney.

pawz said:

pawz said:

T ?

I’m right on this one. Take as much tim as you need.

Also, me and my 100+ scorecard are in for the 2nd annual tourney.

Tittay fucking Christ.

Golf is a hand / eye coordination sport. You can be fat and smoke cigs doing it and still be elite.

Row boat is VO2 max / brute power sport with some repetitive motion involved and “feel” for the boat.

Baseball players make better golfers than row Peter puffers.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    edited August 2023
    pawz said:

That’s what it takes to spank it 250 plus most times. But as for the rest of the game. There’s not much correlation.

The scoring occurs once you get 100 yard and in. If you don’t have good hands, like really good hands, you fail.

Golf, like Baseball, is a game of failure.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,616 Founders Club
    Kaepsknee said:

pawz said:

That’s what it takes to spank it 250 plus most times. But as for the rest of the game. There’s not much correlation.

The scoring occurs once you get 100 yard and in. If you don’t have good hands, like really good hands, you fail.

Drive for show, putt for dough
    Kaepsknee said:

pawz said:

This.

I don’t suck at golf because my core strength and/or leverage is lacking.

First off - you guys suck at golf and I want to help.

My golf story. TL; DR - I started playing golf 3 years ago. YOU CAN DO IT GUYS. You don't have to suck at golf.

Year 1 -finished year 22.6 HCP
    Joined a men's club (sorry no pics) and broke 100 a few times over the course of the first year. Why did I start playing golf? Because my daughter's (sorry no pics) boyfriend is a pro golfer - He's on the Canadian PGA tour right now playing well. Kind of the double-A of golf. So basically I wanted to be able to at least play golf with him.

Year 2 -Finished Year 15.6 HCP
    So I built an indoor golf simulator in the garage and watched a shit ton of videos on youtube. I've never had a lesson in my life from a real person. I didn't spend a ton of this. $2000 or so. Using a garmin R10 launch monitor which can be had for about $600.00. Broke 80 for the first time at Allenmore in Tacoma.

Year 3 - currently a 9.1 HCP
    I'm in year 3 now. Obsessed with golf. Bought a vacation home down in Arizona on a golf course. Bought a golf cart before I bought a bed for the house. Joined the private club. Play golf every day that I'm down in Arizona and play a couple times per week up in the south sound. Come down to Arizona every 2-3 weeks or so for a week at a time. Mrs. Doogerson (sorry, no pics) is even playing golf now. She has clubs up north and down in Arizona. She's taking lessons. She just broke 50 on 9 holes while pretty much going through heat exhaustion as water is for sissies and multiple vodka crans while playing golf make it much more fun.

Stuff you need to know:
    - Learn what an inside-out swing path is. Golf Ball Flight Laws (https://hackmotion.com/golf-ball-flight-laws/)
    - How to compress your irons
    - Get fitted for a putter, learn how to fucking putt. Practice this a fuck-ton.
    - There are lots of ways to chip. Figure out a way that works for you and work on it. Phil Michelson's hinge and hold technique is impossible to master. Don't even try it.
    - Learn how to generate enough clubhead speed to get the ball down the fairway 250+ The game is so much easier when you can hit 300 yard drives and 265 with your 3W.
    - Fuck hybrids. If you're old like me, go with D, 3W, 5W, 7W, and then 5i-LW. Hybrids are impossible to hit straight I'm convinced.

So yeah, I am living proof if you work hard, you can get good at this game.

Caveats
    If you are old and fat like me (sorry, no pics) and are 6' 265lbs, shit will break down. My ailments I've been through plantar fasciitis - bad golf shoes, sports hernia - played through it, what a bitch, golf elbow, and right SI-joint compression in the back. Chiro fixed that one and taught me how to stretch. I hit the shit out of the ball and drive the ball frequently 300 yards. I suppose if you don't swing hard you will not get injured but you will likely suck at golf.

Good youtube guys to watch:
    - Mechanics: Danny Maude ( https://www.youtube.com/@DanielMaude )
    - Mechanics: Rick Shiels ( https://www.youtube.com/@RickShielsPGA )
    - Mechanics: Chris Ryan ( https://www.youtube.com/@ChrisRyanGolf )
    - Mental Aspects: Golf Sidekick ( https://www.youtube.com/@GolfSidekick )
    - Golf Entertainment: Bob Does Sports ( https://www.youtube.com/@Bobdoessports )

Donating to hardcore Husky Husky @DoogieMcDoogerson Bubbles will buy @DerekJohnson a one hour lesson.

Come on, Pal !
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,616 Founders Club
    After my humiliation in June, I took 3 lessons and have practiced about 5 days a week with plastic golf balls. I have watched a shit ton of YouTube videos. The British accents of the YouTubers you listed grew tedious with me, so I watch a lot of Korean videos. Including the speechless lessons from Yoo Hyun-ju and Lee Bo-mee. In the last couple weeks I've watched a lot of SagutoGolf videos. I like his communication style.

My golf story. TL; DR - I started playing golf 3 years ago. YOU CAN DO IT GUYS. You don't have to suck at golf.

Joined a men's club (sorry no pics) and broke 100 a few times over the course of the first year. Why did I start playing golf? Because my daughter's (sorry no pics) boyfriend is a pro golfer - He's on the Canadian PGA tour right now playing well. Kind of the double-A of golf. So basically I wanted to be able to at least play golf with him.

So I built an indoor golf simulator in the garage and watched a shit ton of videos on youtube. I've never had a lesson in my life from a real person. I didn't spend a ton of this. $2000 or so. Using a garmin R10 launch monitor which can be had for about $600.00. Broke 80 for the first time at Allenmore in Tacoma.

I'm in year 3 now. Obsessed with golf. Bought a vacation home down in Arizona on a golf course. Bought a golf cart before I bought a bed for the house. Joined the private club. Play golf every day that I'm down in Arizona and play a couple times per week up in the south sound. Come down to Arizona every 2-3 weeks or so for a week at a time. Mrs. Doogerson (sorry, no pics) is even playing golf now. She has clubs up north and down in Arizona. She's taking lessons. She just broke 50 on 9 holes while pretty much going through heat exhaustion as water is for sissies and multiple vodka crans while playing golf make it much more fun.

Stuff you need to know:
    - Learn what an inside-out swing path is. Golf Ball Flight Laws (https://hackmotion.com/golf-ball-flight-laws/)
    - There are lots of ways to chip. Figure out a way that works for you and work on it. Phil Michelson's hinge and hold technique is impossible to master. Don't even try it.
    - Learn how to generate enough clubhead speed to get the ball down the fairway 250+ The game is so much easier when you can hit 300 yard drives and 265 with your 3W.
    - Fuck hybrids. If you're old like me, go with D, 3W, 5W, 7W, and then 5i-LW. Hybrids are impossible to hit straight I'm convinced.

Caveats
    If you are old and fat like me (sorry, no pics) and are 6' 265lbs, shit will break down. My ailments I've been through plantar fasciitis - bad golf shoes, sports hernia - played through it, what a bitch, golf elbow, and right SI-joint compression in the back. Chiro fixed that one and taught me how to stretch. I hit the shit out of the ball and drive the ball frequently 300 yards. I suppose if you don't swing hard you will not get injured but you will likely suck at golf.

- Golf Entertainment: Bob Does Sports ( https://www.youtube.com/@Bobdoessports )

You started playing because of your daughter's BF being a pro and 3 years later she is still only his GF?

DOOMED

Butt, seriously, your story inspired me to try and get good at golf in my early 60's when all of the kids are grown and out of the house and my wallet has recovered from feeding them.

Stuff you need to know:

Caveats

You started playing because of your daughter's BF being a pro and 3 years later she is still only his GF?

DOOMED

Butt, seriously, your story inspired me to try and get good at golf in my early 60's when all of the kids are grown and out of the house and my wallet has recovered from feeding them.
    that's funny, I've always envisioned you as a guy in mid 30s living in an apartment
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,821 Founders Club

Stuff you need to know:

Caveats

DOOMED

that's funny, I've always envisioned you as a guy in mid 30s living in an apartment
    In Lynnwood?

Stuff you need to know:

Caveats

DOOMED

In Lynnwood?
    Short move from Brier. @YellowSnow