Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Best lake in the greater PNW?

Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,816
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
What is the best natural lake in the greater PNW (WA, OR, ID, western MT, & southern BC)

Best lake in the greater PNW? 19 votes

Crater Lake, OR
5%
YellowSnow 1 vote
Flathead Lake, MT
15%
dncbiak1Bad_MotherDucker 3 votes
Lake Coeur d’Alene, ID
10%
PurpleThrobberBaseman 2 votes
Lake Chelan, WA
10%
El_KJoeEDangerously 2 votes
Okanagan Lake, BC
5%
Canadawg 1 vote
Lake Pend Oreille, ID
5%
Fishpo31 1 vote
Harrison Lake, BC
0%
Shuswap Lake, BC
0%
Lake Washington, WA
10%
Mad_Sonhuskyhooligan 2 votes
other (name In comments)
36%
DerekJohnsonCFetters_Nacho_LoverRaceBannonBennyBeaverchuckseatownfunk1to392831weretaken 7 votes

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,853
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Crater Lake, OR
    How do you define “best”? Crater Lake is the most breath taking rather easily. But I’m never swum or boated in it.

I raced a row boat on Chelan against WSU and Gonzaga pussies.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I'm not qualified to vote on this one, but Diablo Lake is pretty spectacular to look at.
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I define best as “all categories.” Crater Lake scores mega high in scenery, but way low elsewhere in my opinion. I am hoping “other” wins handily with cool suggestions.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,775
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2023
    Lake Coeur d’Alene, ID
    Any of the big 3 in N Idaho are better than anything in WA or OR.

Pend Oreille is mammoth and so deep the navy tested subs there. Sandpoint is better in the winter but a solid lake town.

Lake CDA has the best parties from fancy CDA city in the north to redneck AF Harrison and Conklin Park in the south. 30 miles of booze. Fuck the Californians but most of them only show up for a week every summer.

Priest is the most pristine but it’s hard to get to and you’re not doing just a day trip. Three days is required. Don’t fuck around near John Stocktons compound and definitely don’t ask for his autograph.

The Throbber is biased toward Lake CDA but that’s more the personality of the people who have cabins there vs the other two. Hayden is where the beautiful people hang at the country club but the lake is too small. The two feed rivers are also a plus. It gets real remote real fast going up the CDA River and there’s usually Deliverance banjo music a few miles up the St Joe

We know lakes in the inland northwest. There’s a fuck ton of them. Diamond, Badger, Williams, Newman, Liberty, Loon, Hauser, Twin, Sacheen, too many to list. Something like 76 in a 100 mile radius of Spokane. Or 100 in 76 miles or 69 at One Shot Charlie’s (which could happen)

Lake Roosevelt should be on the list for WA lakes. Massive size which means it’s rarely crowded. And houseboats. Motherfucking houseboats just like the SEC.

And for the true lake aficionados, Kootenay in BC is the shit.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Flathead Lake, MT

I'm not qualified to vote on this one, but Diablo Lake is pretty spectacular to look at.

Not real, but it's spectacular
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,835
    Founders Club
    other (name In comments)
    Lake Conner
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Crater Lake, OR

Pend Oreille is mammoth and so deep the navy tested subs there. Sandpoint is better in the winter but a solid lake town.

Lake CDA has the best parties from fancy CDA city in the north to redneck AF Harrison and Conklin Park in the south. 30 miles of booze. Fuck the Californians but most of them only show up for a week every summer.

Priest is the most pristine but it’s hard to get to and you’re not doing just a day trip. Three days is required. Don’t fuck around near John Stocktons compound and definitely don’t ask for his autograph.

The Throbber is biased toward Lake CDA but that’s more the personality of the people who have cabins there vs the other two. Hayden is where the beautiful people hang at the country club but the lake is too small. The two feed rivers are also a plus. It gets real remote real fast going up the CDA River and there’s usually Deliverance banjo music a few miles up the St Joe

We know lakes in the inland northwest. There’s a fuck ton of them. Diamond, Badger, Williams, Newman, Liberty, Loon, Hauser, Twin, Sacheen, too many to list. Something like 76 in a 100 mile radius of Spokane. Or 100 in 76 miles or 69 at One Shot Charlie’s (which could happen)

Lake Roosevelt should be on the list for WA lakes. Massive size which means it’s rarely crowded. And houseboats. Motherfucking houseboats just like the SEC.

We had some family frens who had a cabin on Priest Lake. The mom was a former Olympic Medalist in skiing. Spent 3 days there. Just gorgeous. I've been fairly far un Lake CDA and I get the appeal.

Crater Lake still crushes them all in terms of scenic value but yeah @Purple_Pills it's just not much in the way of recreational usage.

I'd probably be inclined to say Flathead but I haven't spent much time there but it feels like the the Lake Tahoe of Montana.

If I had in Portage Bay and Lake Union into Lake Washington that the emotional ties are the strongest. I have more hours logged on those waters than the rest of this place combined. And (clean era) Lake WA is easily the best urban lake in the US.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Crater Lake, OR

Elk Lake (my home lake these days) is no slouch by it's a puddle compared to the big lakes on this list.

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Lake Pend Oreille, ID
    Spent a lot of time in Bayview in the 90’s, Pend Oreille is my fave.
    CdA #2, and I liked Okanogan as well, but I haven’t been to it in a long tim…
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,610
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    other (name In comments)
    Not qualified, and my favorite lakes are all small and have pretty kick ass trout fishing which is all that really matters to me.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Crater Lake, OR
    chuck said:

Not qualified, and my favorite lakes are all small and have pretty kick ass trout fishing which is all that really matters to me.

Free Pub for me here! But fuck if Snow isn't one of the most crowded hiking trails in the world.

• Options
    Lake Coeur d’Alene, ID
    Fishpo31 said:

Spent a lot of time in Bayview in the 90’s, Pend Oreille is my fave.
    CdA #2, and I liked Okanogan as well, but I haven’t been to it in a long tim…

Bayview is cool as shit. The Monarchs rising out of Lake Pend Oreille is breathtaking.

Spent a bunch of time on Hayden during college/young adulthood. Hot ass rich bitches there. Made up for Rev Butlers compound being just up the road. Those pesky Aryans.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Lake Coeur d’Alene, ID
    No love for Soap or Moses?!?

Grant County haters. I mean, it’s deserved but still.

Got laid in Ephrata once. Which was nice.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,835
    Founders Club
    other (name In comments)
    I’m also a big fan of Liberty Lake.
  • Options
    Lake Coeur d’Alene, ID

I’m also a big fan of Liberty Lake.

Nice asses there. Lot of Mormons also.

I like to say Cocolalla -just north of Athol.

I like to say Athol too.