Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

TV and greed ruining the game day for fans?

124»

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

If anyone honestly thinks Bellevue could beat PLU, you are so beyond fucking stupid that you need professional help.

Yes, players like Jack and Baker would be fine but what about the other 20 guys that start for Bellevue? 18 of them probably couldn't play for PLU. You're talking about 15-18 year olds beating 20-22 year olds. Fucking forget it. Then there are the schematics. PLU runs more plays out of more formations than all of the Bellevue kids have ever seen combined. I'm comfortable saying PLU would score at least 50 points on Bellevue. Bellevue's DBs would look worse than Chris Massey during the 2001 Holiday Bowl.

PLU isn't as good as they were back in their heyday, but the last two seasons they've been in the D3 playoffs and ranked in the top 25. They're no joke.

Disagree. I understand what you are saying about 20-22 year olds versus 16-18 years old, but this isn't a fucktarded argument like Alabama vs. the Jacksonville Jaguars. PLU would welcome any starter off Bellevue to play for them except for a few. Off this last Bellevue team, there were 4 Pac 12 players. After that, they have multiple guys that go off to play in the Big Sky, go Ivy, or play for a school like Central. All of those levels are above D-3. Then the junior class has Roberts and a couple other Pac 12 guys, a couple more Big Sky guys, and a couple more Central or Juco guys. I bet over half the starters sign with schools higher than D-3.

It makes sense that some of those guys aren't as good as the PLU players because of the age and maturity difference, but I don't think it's as big as you say. Than you factor in guys like Jack or Baker who would be easily the best player on the field. Give them the ball 30-40 times and they are breaking off some long TD's. I bet a D-3 school would shit to have Butch be their coach too.

D-3 football isn't that great. I've been to a couple of games. My cousin was an above average high school player. He was no better than the 4th or 5th best player on a .500 team in the dreckfest Narrows League. I don't think he ever even made 2nd team all Narrows. He went off to Linfield and was a 3 year starter on a team that was ranked and went to the playoffs every year. There are some years Bellevue is beating PLU.
    Dude. All you have to do is ask Butch himself. And he'd give you an honest answer too. He'd even say there's no way he'd ever beat PLU. The age and maturity thing are bigger than you think.

Go down on the sidelines of a Bellevue game. Then the next week go down on the sidelines of a PLU game at Sparks Stadium in Puyallup. The speed of the game isn't even close. D3 football is WAY faster than any high school game Bellevue would ever play in.
    He's so fucking right, you know.

Been there, seen it.
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2014
    Also PLU and Linfield get their fair share of D1 and D2 talents. Some of those guys get booted off P12 or Big Sky team. Some hate the politics of big time college football. Sometimes there's a change of coaching staff and they want to go elsewhere.

Ever hear of a guy named Anthony Hicks? He was a running back for Tumwater in the early/mid 90's. Had great talent. Went to UW on a full scholarship. Played his true freshman year on the '96 team. The Corey Dillion year. The next year he got a new position coach and they didn't get along. He decided to go to PLU and in the '98 and '99 season and set all kinds of records while knocking people's dicks in. Butch would shit his pants if he ever saw that guy and dozens of other who have played for PLU since then lined up against one of his Bellevue teams.
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Roaddoog is the kind of guy whose mind splits things into nice and simple categories. Never mind that the classifications don't actually fit reality. He would do well with a social structure like they have in India where it's all fair and everybody fits into their category, as ordained for all eternity.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Roaddoog is the kind of guy whose mind splits things into nice and simple categories. Never mind that the classifications don't actually fit reality. He would do well with a social structure like they have in India where it's all fair and everybody fits into their category, as ordained for all eternity.

Are you more_tim?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Also PLU and Linfield get their fair share of D1 and D2 talents. Some of those guys get booted off P12 or Big Sky team. Some hate the politics of big time college football. Sometimes there's a change of coaching staff and they want to go elsewhere.

Ever hear of a guy named Anthony Hicks? He was a running back for Tumwater in the early/mid 90's. Had great talent. Went to UW on a full scholarship. Played his true freshman year on the '96 team. The Corey Dillion year. The next year he got a new position coach and they didn't get along. He decided to go to PLU and in the '98 and '99 season and set all kinds of records while knocking people's dicks in. Butch would shit his pants if he ever saw that guy and dozens of other who have played for PLU since then lined up against one of his Bellevue teams.

I know about Hicks and Bellevue would get destroyed by his And Johnson's (QB) PLU teams. A relative of mine played for those teams.

I do still think the best Bellevue team is beating some D-3 teams. Some of those teams are garbage.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I know about Hicks and Bellevue would get destroyed by his And Johnson's (QB) PLU teams. A relative of mine played for those teams.

I do still think the best Bellevue team is beating some D-3 teams. Some of those teams are garbage.
    Okay. But that's not what you said. You said "Bellevue would blow out PLU" and "You are out of your mind if you think PLU could beat Bellevue".

I know we talk a lot of shit here and overstating things can kind of be like breathing around here. But you're a poster that contributes a lot here. You're also a participant on a podcast that we pin to the top of our most popular board. I know you're not Dick Baird fucking stupid and you should be a credible contributor around here.

With that in mind and this latest post you've made, would you care to retract your previous statements? I mean, if you were just trying to fuck with AoG on your first post regarding PLU and Bellevue, okay....but you pretty much doubled down on your thoughts when you replied to my poast.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2014

Okay. But that's not what you said. You said "Bellevue would blow out PLU" and "You are out of your mind if you think PLU could beat Bellevue".

I know we talk a lot of shit here and overstating things can kind of be like breathing around here. But you're a poster that contributes a lot here. You're also a participant on a podcast that we pin to the top of our most popular board. I know you're not Dick Baird fucking stupid and you should be a credible contributor around here.

With that in mind and this latest post you've made, would you care to retract your previous statements? I mean, if you were just trying to fuck with AoG on your first post regarding PLU and Bellevue, okay....but you pretty much doubled down on your thoughts when you replied to my poast.
    It was definitely hyperbole, and a bit brash. I don't follow D-3 football closely and I don't live in Washington anymore so I didn't know PLU was good again. UPS was always terrible when I was growing up, so I lumped them in too. When I watched PLU in 2008 or 2009 they were fucking terrible. PLU had some scrubs starting for them that were very average high school starters that I played with and against. I doubled down because there are certainly D-3 teams that would beat Bellevue, but there are also teams Bellevue could beat.

My reasoning was that Bellevue certainly has more top end talent than PLU. The 2012 championship team had Myles Jack, Budda Baker, and John Nguyen (played and started a couple games as a true freshman at Montana) running the ball for them. Add in Bowman, Griffin (Arizona, Richey (UW walk-on), Roberts, Branch. I'm missing many more that go off and play college ball somewhere. I think they would have a tougher time stopping Bellevue than you think, but I am skeptical about how the lines would perform because of the age and maturity gap. Jack, Baker, and Nguyen would all dominate at the D-3 level and would be tough to stop. The best players in the game would be playing for Bellevue.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

It was definitely hyperbole, and a bit brash. I don't follow D-3 football closely and I don't live in Washington anymore so I didn't know PLU was good again. UPS was always terrible when I was growing up, so I lumped them in too. When I watched PLU in 2008 or 2009 they were fucking terrible. PLU had some scrubs starting for them that were very average high school starters that I played with and against. I doubled down because there are certainly D-3 teams that would beat Bellevue, but there are also teams Bellevue could beat.

My reasoning was that Bellevue certainly has more top end talent than PLU. The 2012 championship team had Myles Jack, Budda Baker, and John Nguyen (played and started a couple games as a true freshman at Montana) running the ball for them. Add in Bowman, Griffin (Arizona, Richey (UW walk-on), Roberts, Branch. I'm missing many more that go off and play college ball somewhere. I think they would have a tougher time stopping Bellevue than you think, but I am skeptical about how the lines would perform because of the age and maturity gap. Jack, Baker, and Nguyen would all dominate at the D-3 level and would be tough to stop. The best players in the game would be playing for Bellevue.
    I guess I need to ask again...would you care to retract your previous statements?

I understand what you're saying in the last two poasts.... basically "Bellevue would beat some D3 teams but not others." Okay, I hear you.

But are you retracting you're statements that "Bellevue would blow out PLU" and "you are out of your mind if you think PLU could beat Bellevue"?

You said your cousin played for Linfield and he was "average" in high school. You said you had a relative that played on those PLU teams with Hicks and Johnson. Care to disclose their names? It might (or might not) help your credibility when speaking. If you don't want to say who they are, that's okay....but I'll just take your thoughts with a grain of salt until then.

And I still think you are WAY underestimating the difference in age and maturity. How much faster or stronger is someone when they are 21 years old vs. when they were 17 years old?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I did retract them and said it was hyperbole. I said I think the best Bellevue teams could certainly hold their own and win some games. I put very little thought into the first posts and it was partially to troll AOG and shit on the quality of D3 football.

The maturity point is valid, but I also wonder if the D3 players can tackle Miles Jack. Could they catch Baker or Ngyuen in the open field?

Not sure why their names matter, but I will pm them if you really care.
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    College football is a much different scene than high school. High school is a lot of rah-rah, go team go, and such. College football is more methodical and structured. Is it possible that some high flying high school could beat a poor D3 college team? It's possible. Not likely, though. Everything is possible. A team like PLU has a lot of muscle and discipline. Anyway, the topic of this thread was the alienation of fans brought about by commercialization/moneygrubbing and such. You don't have to look to poor D3 teams as an escape. The teams in this state are eastern, central, and PLU. No high school is beating any of those. And if you want to make an argument from strictly a quality of play POV, it's Paul Allen.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Bellevue could probably beat Cal though.

Cal is STILL too high.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    @CheersWestDawg‌ you're taking this a little too seriously dude. That being said, the difference would be the lines, scheme, and depth, with a pretty big advantage to the d3 teams. A team like Bellevue would probably put up a few long tds on explosion plays, but the college team would just wear them down physically. Would Bellevue struggle to beat a Kingco all-star team?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited June 2014

@CheersWestDawg‌ you're taking this a little too seriously dude. That being said, the difference would be the lines, scheme, and depth, with a pretty big advantage to the d3 teams. A team like Bellevue would probably put up a few long tds on explosion plays, but the college team would just wear them down physically. Would Bellevue struggle to beat a Kingco all-star team?

Bellevue is the Kingco all-star team. Hth