Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

TV and greed ruining the game day for fans?

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2014
    I saw quite a few who looked like that guy when I watched Linfield- Whitworth in 2008. Then again, I've also seen the dawgpack and they aren't any better.
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

I saw quite a few who looked like that guy when I watched Linfield- Whitworth in 2008. Then again, I've also seen the dawgpack and they aren't any better.

pics or you lie
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Swaye said:

You guys keep making fun of me for liking small college football. Fuck you. This column is partly why. You don't have to give up big time football to watch small college. It's comparable to a good band in a small club vs. arena rock.

well, I have never seen a guy like that standing on the sidelines watching some D2 game. Actually I've never seen a guy like that at a football game. Come to think of it, I've never seen a guy like that.
    You must not go to Seattle or Portland often.
  • Options

Swaye said:

You guys keep making fun of me for liking small college football. Fuck you. This column is partly why. You don't have to give up big time football to watch small college. It's comparable to a good band in a small club vs. arena rock.

well, I have never seen a guy like that standing on the sidelines watching some D2 game. Actually I've never seen a guy like that at a football game. Come to think of it, I've never seen a guy like that.
    I'm calling you on bullshit.... there never has been a guy like that as a football player, a fan, or even a guy selling a fucking program. NO FUCKING WAY.
  • Options

Swaye said:

I'm calling you on bullshit.... there never has been a guy like that as a football player, a fan, or even a guy selling a fucking program. NO FUCKING WAY.
    Agree. Go watch a Sounders or Timbers game and you'll see thousands of fags ($75M?) like that.
  • Options

Swaye said:

Agree. Go watch a Sounders or Timbers game and you'll see thousands of fags ($75M?) like that.
    it's no wonder, soccer.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Hi there.

Music is a matter of taste. It is quite possible for the musicians in a band in a small club to make better music than the musicians in the band playing the arena. "Success" in music is as much about opportunity and timing and what happens to sell well in the giving season as it is about talent.

Sport, otoh, is a matter of talent. If the players at the small college were as good as the players at the big college, they wouldn't be playing at the small college. Yes, there are a handful of exceptions, but they simply prove the rule.
  • Options
    SweatpantsGeneralSweatpantsGeneral Member Posts: 2,053
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    dnc said:

You guys keep making fun of me for liking small college football. Fuck you. This column is partly why. You don't have to give up big timfootball to watch small college. It's comparable to a good band in a small club vs. arena rock.

Hi there.

Music is a matter of taste. It is quite possible for the musicians in a band in a small club to make better music than the musicians in the band playing the arena. "Success" in music is as much about opportunity and timing and what happens to sell well in the giving season as it is about talent.

Sport, otoh, is a matter of talent. If the players at the small college were as good as the players at the big college, they wouldn't be playing at the small college. Yes, there are a handful of exceptions, but they simply prove the rule.
    Meh. Sounds like confirmation bias.

• Options
    dnc said:

Hi there.

Look, by your argument, you should limit yourself to pro football, since "sports is a matter of talent."

the thing I like is you can stand on the sidelines, the clock doesn't stop, the play is good, although not as good as big time college, is still quite good, you can take photos, point blank range, and hear all the conversations, season ticket is $50 with parking,... Look, it's just another outlet. I still go to big time.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Hi there.

Look, by your argument, you should limit yourself to pro football, since "sports is a matter of talent."

the thing I like is you can stand on the sidelines, the clock doesn't stop, the play is good, although not as good as big time college, is still quite good, you can take photos, point blank range, and hear all the conversations, season ticket is $50 with parking,... Look, it's just another outlet. I still go to big time.
    The quality of play in d-3 is terrible though. Why would you want photos? Bellevue would blow out PLU or UPS. You also miss good games on tv by attending those dreckfests.
  • Options

dnc said:

Hi there.

The quality of play in d-3 is terrible though. Why would you want photos? Bellevue would blow out PLU or UPS. You also miss good games on tv by attending those dreckfests.
    see, this is the kind of bullshit some people believe. Going to Husky Stadium is fine. But in order to really get the spectrum of college football you need to get out and see a bit more, not just the big stadiums with flashing McDonalds signs.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

dnc said:

Hi there.

see, this is the kind of bullshit some people believe. Going to Husky Stadium is fine. But in order to really get the spectrum of college football you need to get out and see a bit more, not just the big stadiums with flashing McDonalds signs.
    The big stadiums with the flashing McDonalds signs are where it's at, like it or not.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2014

dnc said:

Hi there.

I have no issue with you or anyone taking issue with the commercialization of big time college football. The quality isn't there at the lower levels though, even in the FCS. I attended a very good FCS school that played in two title games while I was there. It's noticeably slower and less physical than BCS football which makes it less enjoyable. Bigger crowds = more excitement as well.

You are out of your mind if you think PLU could beat Bellevue. There are plenty of kids who aren't even all league high school players that end up as starters at PLU. They would have no answer for the top players on Bellevue like Baker and Jack.
  • Options
    UPS is not very good.... PLU, they have some BIG guys, good receivers, tough... no HS is beating them, nope.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2014

If anyone honestly thinks Bellevue could beat PLU, you are so beyond fucking stupid that you need professional help.

Yes, players like Jack and Baker would be fine but what about the other 20 guys that start for Bellevue? 18 of them probably couldn't play for PLU. You're talking about 15-18 year olds beating 20-22 year olds. Fucking forget it. Then there are the schematics. PLU runs more plays out of more formations than all of the Bellevue kids have ever seen combined. I'm comfortable saying PLU would score at least 50 points on Bellevue. Bellevue's DBs would look worse than Chris Massey during the 2001 Holiday Bowl.

PLU isn't as good as they were back in their heyday, but the last two seasons they've been in the D3 playoffs and ranked in the top 25. They're no joke.

Disagree. I understand what you are saying about 20-22 year olds versus 16-18 years old, but this isn't a fucktarded argument like Alabama vs. the Jacksonville Jaguars. PLU would welcome any starter off Bellevue to play for them except for a few. Off this last Bellevue team, there were 4 Pac 12 players. After that, they have multiple guys that go off to play in the Big Sky, go Ivy, or play for a school like Central. All of those levels are above D-3. Then the junior class has Roberts and a couple other Pac 12 guys, a couple more Big Sky guys, and a couple more Central or Juco guys. I bet over half the starters sign with schools higher than D-3.

It makes sense that some of those guys aren't as good as the PLU players because of the age and maturity difference, but I don't think it's as big as you say. Than you factor in guys like Jack or Baker who would be easily the best player on the field. Give them the ball 30-40 times and they are breaking off some long TD's. I bet a D-3 school would shit to have Butch be their coach too.

D-3 football isn't that great. I've been to a couple of games. My cousin was an above average high school player. He was no better than the 4th or 5th best player on a .500 team in the dreckfest Narrows League. I don't think he ever even made 2nd team all Narrows. He went off to Linfield and was a 3 year starter on a team that was ranked and went to the playoffs every year. There are some years Bellevue is beating PLU.
  • Options

If anyone honestly thinks Bellevue could beat PLU, you are so beyond fucking stupid that you need professional help.

Yes, players like Jack and Baker would be fine but what about the other 20 guys that start for Bellevue? 18 of them probably couldn't play for PLU. You're talking about 15-18 year olds beating 20-22 year olds. Fucking forget it. Then there are the schematics. PLU runs more plays out of more formations than all of the Bellevue kids have ever seen combined. I'm comfortable saying PLU would score at least 50 points on Bellevue. Bellevue's DBs would look worse than Chris Massey during the 2001 Holiday Bowl.

PLU isn't as good as they were back in their heyday, but the last two seasons they've been in the D3 playoffs and ranked in the top 25. They're no joke.

Disagree. I understand what you are saying about 20-22 year olds versus 16-18 years old, but this isn't a fucktarded argument like Alabama vs. the Jacksonville Jaguars. PLU would welcome any starter off Bellevue to play for them except for a few. Off this last Bellevue team, there were 4 Pac 12 players. After that, they have multiple guys that go off to play in the Big Sky, go Ivy, or play for a school like Central. All of those levels are above D-3. Then the junior class has Roberts and a couple other Pac 12 guys, a couple more Big Sky guys, and a couple more Central or Juco guys. I bet over half the starters sign with schools higher than D-3.

It makes sense that some of those guys aren't as good as the PLU players because of the age and maturity difference, but I don't think it's as big as you say. Than you factor in guys like Hasty who would be easily the best player on the field. Give them the ball 30-40 times and they are breaking off some long TD's. I bet a D-3 school would shit to have Butch be their coach too.

D-3 football isn't that great. I've been to a couple of games. My cousin was an above average high school player. He was no better than the 4th or 5th best player on a .500 team in the dreckfest Narrows League. I don't think he ever even made 2nd team all Narrows. He went off to Linfield and was a 3 year starter on a team that was ranked and went to the playoffs every year. There are some years Bellevue is beating PLU.
    Obligatory fix for @allpurpleallgold‌.
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

It makes sense that some of those guys aren't as good as the PLU players because of the age and maturity difference, but I don't think it's as big as you say. Than you factor in guys like Jack or Baker who would be easily the best player on the field. Give them the ball 30-40 times and they are breaking off some long TD's. I bet a D-3 school would shit to have Butch be their coach too.

Dude. All you have to do is ask Butch himself. And he'd give you an honest answer too. He'd even say there's no way he'd ever beat PLU. The age and maturity thing are bigger than you think.

Go down on the sidelines of a Bellevue game. Then the next week go down on the sidelines of a PLU game at Sparks Stadium in Puyallup. The speed of the game isn't even close. D3 football is WAY faster than any high school game Bellevue would ever play in.