Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

TV and greed ruining the game day for fans?

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
A lot of merit in what this guy says. Makes me want to consider skipping the crisp fall afternoon with dad and go for a walk to get perspective.

Bottom line is things have been changing and will continue to change in NCAA football. Along with the change what's left of the bowls will soon be gone. What some of is grew up with and what we loved about the game has changed. Not saying thats good or bad so stop twisting. Don't be a twister. But what is true is each person will need to decide for themselves if they enjoy it enough to attend games or even pay attention to the sport.

thepostgame.com/blog/road-saturday/201406/college-football-fan-stadium-students-business-tv-ncaa-michigan-tickets

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Welcome to what...2004?

The day that college football games started being broadcast in HD was the day that watching at home became superior to going to the games. The schools just confirmed this by increasing the number of bodybag OOC games.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    We're beginning to see more and more articles like this, trying to explain why students are losing interest in college football in droves. I think it's a secular trend aided by many factors, is firmly entrenched and is being aided in part by the concussion hype, a President who uses the pre-Superbowl stage to announce his disdain for the game, single parenting, HDTV (alternative) and others as well.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,451
    What a bunch of pussies.

I bet you the reason is seeing a dip in attendance is because they're not as good as they used to be.

I'm sure you'd see a reassurance in Husky attendance once we get good again Petersen finishes his first season.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,544
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    When I was a student, I was told to sit down several times by old folks behind the student section. I bet they are glad about moving the kids to the end zones now. Disagree on HDTV. Nothing beats actually attending the game.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Blackie said:

PurpleJ said:

When I was a student, I was told to sit down several times by old folks behind the student section. I bet they are glad about moving the kids to the end zones now. Disagree on HDTV. Nothing beats actually attending the game.

You'll have to forgive the tech school guy for not appreciating the deeper connection alumni have.
    Best burn anyone's had on Sven in quite some time.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,544
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I would also like to add that seeing my blacked out friend tell an 80 year old woman to "go die already" was one of my favorite Huskey moments. He crossed the line and got booted with no warning.
  • Options
    Blackie said:

PurpleJ said:

You'll have to forgive the tech school guy for not appreciating the deeper connection alumni have.
    All of the atmosphere around the game is awesome.

Watching the game itself in the stands just isn't as good as watching it on TV (in HD, or 3D as available).
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

I'll admit that I throw away money to attend games at Pool Boy Stadium. The tailgating, the game and all that other walk-with-dad-on-crisp-fall-afternoons bullshit is ok and everything....but I'd be lying if I didn't say I enjoy the hell out of it when the Huskies have a road game and I can watch 14 hours of college football on the plasma screen HDTV and my leather chair.

The beer is easy to get to. I can cut up lines of cocaine on my coffee table. I can even get a hot Asian hooker to blow me while I watch a game for a nominal price.

Mirror > Coffee Table
  • Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Blackie said:

PurpleJ said:

Watching the game itself in the stands just isn't as good as watching it on TV (in HD, or 3D as available).
    Downvoted for suggesting 3D TV as a superior experience instead of the scam that it is. I can perceive depth on a regular TV just fine, and don't have to wear stupid glasses or get a headache in the process.
  • Options
    Dardanus said:

Blackie said:

PurpleJ said:

Downvoted for suggesting 3D TV as a superior experience instead of the scam that it is. I can perceive depth on a regular TV just fine, and don't have to wear stupid glasses or get a headache in the process.
    WTF'd for missing a long-running joke about TV, HD, and 3D.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Dardanus said:

Blackie said:

PurpleJ said:

Are you new here?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'll admit that I throw away money to attend games at Pool Boy Stadium. The tailgating, the game and all that other walk-with-dad-on-crisp-fall-afternoons bullshit is ok and everything....but I'd be lying if I didn't say I enjoy the hell out of it when the Huskies have a road game and I can watch 14 hours of college football on the plasma screen HDTV and my leather chair.

The beer is easy to get to. I can cut up lines of cocaine on my coffee table. I can even get a hot Asian hooker to blow me while I watch a game for a nominal price.

Mirror > Coffee Table
    Mirror is cliche. Any table or smooth, hard surface works fine. They are all the same.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I don't care how/where I watch the game as long as I have the coldest beer in town.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    LOLTEESHIRTFAN (snort)
    dnc said:

Blackie said:

PurpleJ said:

Best burn anyone's had on Sven in quite some time.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    There's no question that schools around the country have fucked up in understanding what drives their fans to attend games and the balance between what separates college football from professional football.

I have less of a problem with the TV aspect in the sense that having the games on TV is a good option. What I don't like about TV is how they hold everybody hostage from a timing perspective. Have your TV slots, fill the games early, and get on with it. These 6- and 12-day windows fuck with way too many people and make too many say forget it.

Watching a game in person is always better than watching it on TV. That won't change. But there are many ways to make the experience better - and remembering why college football is college football is a good start.