Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Can we just broom this fuck?

Comments

• theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,555
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

Keeping Hopkins to save $3 million doesn't make any financial sense because he is clearly a dead man walking. If he's around another year, it could set the rebuild back multiple years.

Not with the portal. A new coach can bring in four or five new guys and hit the ground running. Three years ago you would have been correct. It’s different now. Even Hopkins can still sell playing time to seniors around the country. What do they care if he’s fired next year?
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

HFNY said:

Keeping Hopkins to save $3 million doesn't make any financial sense because he is clearly a dead man walking. If he's around another year, it could set the rebuild back multiple years.

Not with the portal. A new coach can bring in four or five new guys and hit the ground running. Three years ago you would have been correct. It’s different now. Even Hopkins can still sell playing time to seniors around the country. What do they care if he’s fired next year?
    The portal giveth and the portal taketh

Wouldn't be surprised if the better talent on this team aren't here next year
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,989
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Down 13 vs Cuog at home with 7 1/2 mins left

Take all the screen shots you need.

It would be the right thing to do so, of course, Cohen announces that Hop is back for the next year.

In a times article the following is verbatim:

In her statement, Cohen made it clear she expects UW to return to compete for a Pac-12 championship and return to the NCAA tournament.

The biggest thing for me is you don’t focus on those things,” Hopkins said. “Our standard is to be in the NCAA tournament every year. That’s what we think. That’s what we believe this program to be and that’s why we’re disappointed with the results that we got this last season.

The important thing is that’s our standard. That’s what we focus on day to day. We focused on it all preseason and last season unfortunately we didn’t make it. We’re looking forward to the future for sure.”

No wonder his teams are fucking confused on offense.

• no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 757
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Makes you wonder what the price point is for a guy like Shaka Smart. Or if there is even a price point. For a school that supposedly has a lot going for it, at least location wise, terrible results with some outliers here and there a long running theme. If I'm a modestly successful coach, I'm comfortable where I'm at, and it's a lateral move at best...
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We all knew the money wasn’t there to buy him out. Lake, Lakes assistant pool, the current assistant pool, the Comcast mess, and a season of no fans at the stadium. I think anyone who gives a shit about basketball has their money deeply invested into the new practice facility. It just wasn’t in the cards this year.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

We all knew the money wasn’t there to buy him out. Lake, Lakes assistant pool, the current assistant pool, the Comcast mess, and a season of no fans at the stadium. I think anyone who gives a shit about basketball has their money deeply invested into the new practice facility. It just wasn’t in the cards this year.

Yes but the problem is Jen is worthless at understanding leverage and contract negotiations which put her here in this spot. She gave hop and Jimmy iron clad contracts that were only advantageous to the coaches for buy outs and guarantees when they really hadn’t done much. And now we are stuck. How is hop paid over $3M? She is not qualified to run an athletic dept of this magnitude.

She had resisted where college sports were going for years with nil etc…

Horrible with contracts.

Wanted to keep Jimmy before he was forced out.

No foresight into conference realignment.

this
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yes but the problem is Jen is worthless at understanding leverage and contract negotiations which put her here in this spot. She gave hop and Jimmy iron clad contracts that were only advantageous to the coaches for buy outs and guarantees when they really hadn’t done much. And now we are stuck. How is hop paid over $3M? She is not qualified to run an athletic dept of this magnitude.

She had resisted where college sports were going for years with nil etc…

Horrible with contracts.

Wanted to keep Jimmy before he was forced out.

No foresight into conference realignment.

Absolutely. The lack of money for the buyout doesn’t excuse Cohen for that awful contract or any of the other retarded things she’s done. It just is what it is right now.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,875
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Move it to the Roster Genocide thread for fucks sake
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Here's the thing, which I know will lead to torches: I don't know why any elite recruit would want to play for Washington in the first place. I mean that sincerely and I have no axe to grind because I legitimately only like programs that are playing Gonzaga, so I basically DNGAF about any one team. At all. There is the fact that hoops talent is the one area where Seattle generates, but even for the local kids, why in the fuck would you want to play here? The tradition is next to nothing. The long-term history of the program is generally underwhelming and the last two coaches have broken the world record for doing less with more. Add to that that Washington is first, middle and last, a football school to its core. Why does anyone elite want to play here to begin with? When Quin Snyder left to play for Duke back in the day, I was like, "duh, no shit." When W has lost local kids to U Conn or Furd, I'm like, sure, why not?

It's amazing the talent that has run through a program that can't get out of its own way and STILL they are embarrassingly bad. That team that went down to the Pac Tourney and got absolutely throttled by Oregon? WTF was that? Why would any kid see that product and say, "Yeah, no thanks Duke." Or a bunch of other schools for that matter.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited March 2023

Here's the thing, which I know will lead to torches: I don't know why any elite recruit would want to play for Washington in the first place. I mean that sincerely and I have no axe to grind because I legitimately only like programs that are playing Gonzaga, so I basically DNGAF about any one team. At all. There is the fact that hoops talent is the one area where Seattle generates, but even for the local kids, why in the fuck would you want to play here? The tradition is next to nothing. The long-term history of the program is generally underwhelming and the last two coaches have broken the world record for doing less with more. Add to that that Washington is first, middle and last, a football school to its core. Why does anyone elite want to play here to begin with? When Quin Snyder left to play for Duke back in the day, I was like, "duh, no shit." When W has lost local kids to U Conn or Furd, I'm like, sure, why not?

It's amazing the talent that has run through a program that can't get out of its own way and STILL they are embarrassingly bad. That team that went down to the Pac Tourney and got absolutely throttled by Oregon? WTF was that? Why would any kid see that product and say, "Yeah, no thanks Duke." Or a bunch of other schools for that matter.

Pretty much agree. UW should/could still be a tournament team almost every year with the financial resources, but I'm talking about a 6 or 7 seed.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,348
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2023
    Even with shitty Hopkins it looks like UW will have a top backcourt in the conference next year.

UCLA leaving, Arizona is soft, Oregon has problems, Utah and Colorado are shit whitey teams, etc.

They don't have the will as a school with no football tean like Gonzaga, but there's no reason they can't be great.

They were a top 5 recruiter, among Kansas and North Carolina, for awhile under Romar.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    haie said:

Even with shitty Hopkins it looks like UW will have a top backcourt in the conference next year.

UCLA leaving,

Wrong.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,702
    Founders Club

• ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    haie said:

UCLA leaving, Arizona is soft, Oregon has problems, Utah and Colorado are shit whitey teams, etc.

They don't have the will as a school with no football tean like Gonzaga, but there's no reason they can't be great.

They were a top 5 recruiter, among Kansas and North Carolina, for awhile under Romar.

Lol