Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Can we just broom this fuck?

13»

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I don't want to act like Keyon Menifield is Brandon Roy, however one of the many things lacking from the team this year was spark and heart. Usually you expect a coach to instill some of that in their players, but some guys just inspire those on the court with their play. To have a player like Keyon look at the writing on the wall (after we rehired an awful coach) it just reiterates the players are talking about what a dumpster fire it really is at UW. I don't blame Keyon at all. In fact, I'm shocked he even considered coming back to begin with.

That being said, don't be shocked to see another couple see this type of player leaving and realize they are looking at a 5-10 win season. If you could get to St Marys or a good Mountain west school why not transfer? UW has .0000001% chance of making tourney next year and there is no lock that Jen fires Hop after next year either.

I still don't buy that TiTS couldn't find the money to fire Hop. She just is lazy and doesn't want to have to put her hand out to boosters about her mistake with Hop. She would have to admit what a complete shitshow she created. There are plenty of rich guys who love bball and would pay for a viable product again. The biggest key to keeping their checkbooks in their pockets is fear she's the person hiring the next guy.

STAY
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,073
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Players will consider UW for the exposure they can get here. Its why we got guys like Isaiah Stewart and Brooks to come this last season. The issue here, with Romar and Hopkins, has been roster management. The four year contributors haven't been a thing since the Thybulle class. The cycle seems to be: Monster class, decent class, shit class, shit class, monster class, ...

Knock on Romar were the one and dones, and in his defense, no one thought Murray or Chriss were one and done in high school. But you give them playing time as freshmen, they put up numbers, and the NBA drafts both in the first round. The next year Fultz comes in and also one and done. Those guys on the same team, with an up and coming Thybulle are a monster. I can just as easily point out Romars pitfalls. I cant think of the year, but he didn't take anyone one year to load up the following year, then whiffed on almost everyone, who were perceived to be locks.

Not certain if Hopkins is trying to build a team for continuity but most of his recruits have transferred. Rayquan Battle is an example of a guy they should have fought to keep. Transfer portal has been interesting. WVU was an 8 seed with two former, local, huskies on the roster. As noted Grant probably becomes an all american at Gonzaga. Not certain how much of the offense or input Conroy has but you think he would have recognized the impact of a stretch big (Jensen and Grant come to mind). I mean the NBA does.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Hop staying is a complete indictment at how limited Jen is as an AD but we all knew that anyway

With UCLA and USC leaving the PAC looks much more like the WCC than it does a major P5 (Arizona is Gonzaga ... perhaps you have somebody else that looks like St Mary's)

EVERYTHING about the future of the University of Washington and their athletic future hinges on how Jen/Cauce navigate the pending conference realignment for the PAC ... simply put they are pretty much fucked IF they don't immediately get in the Big10 because I think that they'd rather end sports than join a conference with schools like BYU, Baylor, etc.

IF UW can't get into the B10 in the near future then you can start the clock on how much longer that DeBoer will stay at UW because staying in the PAC (in whatever iteration that looks like) isn't being serious about football and that's that.

I think you can make a very reasonable argument that UW has a more sustainable path to winning a national championship in basketball going forward than what they will have with football (particularly if not part of the Big10). But to get there you need to invest in the program and ensure that you have the pieces in place to create a strong program. That has never been a consistent view at Washington.

When you need visionary leadership in the Athletic Department, we're so lucky that we have Jen steering the ship.
  • Options
    Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Hop’s main problem is he’s totally lost coaching offense, and none of the players develop year to year.

Roster management and recruiting haven’t been good either, but none of that really matters if you’re just a dogshit coach like Hop.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Players will consider UW for the exposure they can get here. Its why we got guys like Isaiah Stewart and Brooks to come this last season. The issue here, with Romar and Hopkins, has been roster management. The four year contributors haven't been a thing since the Thybulle class. The cycle seems to be: Monster class, decent class, shit class, shit class, monster class, ...

Not sure i could disagree more with players coming here for "exposure". You're not getting exposed playing on the pac-12 network vs dogshit teams in a terrible offense. Actually, I'd argue why that's why the majority of guys don't come here, and those who do move on quickly. They get the experience of being on TV at 11pm Eastern and get to play in front of 2759 fans each night and their atheltic skills are bottled up so that they can play Princeton type offense(without the actual strategy). We will get the occasional kid for whatever the reason, but to build a roster the bones of the program need to be fixed. A real tv contract. A real offense. Maybe something called a transition offense??? A real program supported by its AD.

Nothing supports my point more than your own comment "Not certain if Hopkins is trying to build a team for continuity but most of his recruits have transferred." Hop hasn't adjusted to college basketball in 2023. I'm the reverse get off my lawn guy. The reason that some programs are thriving is because the best coaches secure players via the portal and recruitment, while evolving middling players into good role players by their Jun/Senior year. Hop has gone pretty much 0-3 in this regard. It starts with his culture and his offense/defense. there is a reason that NOBODY except a guy coaching for 50 years plays the same sort of setup. Also the reason Syracuse hasn't been good for 15 years. The game has changed and the best evolve. Hop won't. He may be a great assistant for someone, but he isn't a headcoach.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Not sure i could disagree more with players coming here for "exposure". You're not getting exposed playing on the pac-12 network vs dogshit teams in a terrible offense. Actually, I'd argue why that's why the majority of guys don't come here, and those who do move on quickly. They get the experience of being on TV at 11pm Eastern and get to play in front of 2759 fans each night and their atheltic skills are bottled up so that they can play Princeton type offense(without the actual strategy). We will get the occasional kid for whatever the reason, but to build a roster the bones of the program need to be fixed. A real tv contract. A real offense. Maybe something called a transition offense??? A real program supported by its AD.

Nothing supports my point more than your own comment "Not certain if Hopkins is trying to build a team for continuity but most of his recruits have transferred." Hop hasn't adjusted to college basketball in 2023. I'm the reverse get off my lawn guy. The reason that some programs are thriving is because the best coaches secure players via the portal and recruitment, while evolving middling players into good role players by their Jun/Senior year. Hop has gone pretty much 0-3 in this regard. It starts with his culture and his offense/defense. there is a reason that NOBODY except a guy coaching for 50 years plays the same sort of setup. Also the reason Syracuse hasn't been good for 15 years. The game has changed and the best evolve. Hop won't. He may be a great assistant for someone, but he isn't a headcoach.
    While I agree I hate watching the Syracuse style of play, their success over the past 15 years still probably dwarfs anyone in the pac 12. Admittedly they have sucked the past 2 years. Hop just sucks and it’s not his philosophy, it’s that he can’t get kids to improve or execute.

Point is you don’t have to play up tempo to be good. I hate watching Virginia play but they are good year in and year out. Their shortening of the game does also leave them vulnerable. Romar had uptempo teams but also underachieved immensely some years related to the talent on the team. Mainly because of a lack of attention to detail and discipline.

Syracuse last 15 years.
    1 missed tourney for probation
    3 missed touney’s due to sucking
    1 first round exit
    2 round of 32
    4 sweet 16’s
    1 elite 8
    2 final 4’s
    1 assistant coach scandal for sexually harassing or assaulting a player. Can’t remember the details, but it was gay.