Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

UW Rowboats fire up for 2023 Season

TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,550
5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited February 2023 in Yellow Snow's Record Shoppe

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,707
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

https://pac-12.com/article/2023/01/26/schedules-set-uw-rowings-2023-season

A real team of real boys and real girls playing a real sport.

Yella??!!??!! True???!???
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Probably will drive over Santiam pass this spring to go watch Pac 12's (LOL) down at Dexter Lake, OR.

@Doogles home course on Lake Natoma lost the regatta because the dam operators are shit as fuck and created unfair currents.

@haie you can put on your Boyz in da' Boat tee and drive down to shit talk Ducktards if you want.

RIP Fawn Leibovitz…
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Probably will drive over Santiam pass this spring to go watch Pac 12's (LOL) down at Dexter Lake, OR.

Doogles home course on Lake Natoma lost the regatta because the dam operators are shit as fuck and created unfair currents.

@haie you can put on your Boyz in da' Boat tee and drive down to shit talk Ducktards if you want.

Smells like Malarkey
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,550
    Founders Club
    Apparently Australia is invited and will attend the Windermere cup in 2023, pretty cool.

• TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,550
    Founders Club
    Best UW rowboat story i heard [could be urban legend but i bet its true] is that for one of the WCup events the Egyptian team showed up and when the Blue Angels flew overhead in the great tradition, the Egyptian team panicked and dove into the water to avoid getting rubbed out much to the roaring delight of the crowd on hand. Wasn’t there so can’t confirm but i do love the story even if its bullshit.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,693
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People forget how big UW crew was

Second only to football

And yes that means bigger than basketball
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Husky Stadium didn't hold more than 40k until the first deck in the 50s

• PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,483
    Founders Club

Husky Stadium didn't hold more than 40k until the first deck in the 50s

You were there.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,707
    Founders Club

Second only to football

I won't say UW Crew was bigger than football pre WWII, but it was a closer 2nd than many people realize. 80,000 people used to line the shores of Lake WA back in the 20s and 30s to watch the Dour Dane battle Uncle Ky.

Alas, times change and the rowboat lost its pull as a major spectator sport. It remains, however, UW's most important non revenue sports, and it's not really that close.
    Race was there as well.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We did view the regatta a few times before the Varsity Alumni game at the Montlake Cut by the 7-11 in Montlake

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,793
    Swaye's Wigwam

We did view the regatta a few times before the Varsity Alumni game at the Montlake Cut by the 7-11 in Montlake

So the @YellowSnow clan is heading the London for Spring Break. March 26th it the "Boat Race" between Oxford and Cambrdge which is the oldest college sporting event in the world dating back to 1837. Thinking I will fight through the jet lag and go check it out.

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

So the @YellowSnow clan is heading the London for Spring Break. March 26th it the "Boat Race" between Oxford and Cambrdge which is the oldest college sporting event in the world dating back to 1837. Thinking I will fight through the jet lag and go check it out.

Now THATS a trip. Nice!

Someday I will plan a combo Wimbledon & Henley spectator trip.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

Now THATS a trip. Nice!

Someday I will plan a combo Wimbledon & Henley spectator trip.
    Henley is tits. I’ve been once.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Second only to football

I won't say UW Crew was bigger than football pre WWII, but it was a closer 2nd than many people realize. 80,000 people used to line the shores of Lake WA back in the 20s and 30s to watch the Dour Dane battle Uncle Ky.

Alas, times change and the rowboat lost its pull as a major spectator sport. It remains, however, UW's most important non revenue sports, and it's not really that close.
    I'm still baffled they rowed on the north end of the lake.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Second only to football

I'm still baffled they rowed on the north end of the lake.
    They were a sturdy bunch back then. The Varsity race used to be 4 miles long, hence needing to be on Lake WA. Prone to rough conditions.

I don't recall exactly when they switched to 2000 meters (the current distance). Some point in the 60's I think. I'll look it up.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Second only to football

Tims change again; once the Pac-12 kills football and then CTE buries it forever rowboat will regain its prominence.

Or it won't. EWIWBI