Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

ACC ACC ACC

Comments

• Options
    Sandra6Sandra6 Member Posts: 147
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2023
    whlinder said:

Sandra6 said:

Sandra6 said:

Sandra6 said:

PS Even if you go by some mindless "tv market" perspective, Washington is a more populated state than Maryland. And that's before you even consider how nobody in Maryland gives a shit about Maryland football.

thats basically what happened, neither of those programs have a football program worth a shit. but, you could get the big 10 network on those cable providers, those cable providers would charge their customers, and then those cable providers could raise their carriage fees. same with adding buttgers, they suck, but you bring in the big 10 network into ny/nj/philly population.

to the bolded point, as mentioned above, i agree, but does anyone in the state of washington give a shit about washington football?

I am extremely skeptical of the idea that cable companies are seriously gorging NYC and NJ customers because of Rutger’s presence in the Big Ten, even though I’m sure that was the Big Ten’s dream when they invited Rutgers. There has to be at least some minimal interest in a local team in order to justify raising carriage fees. (Unless you seriously think that if the Big Ten invited Rice, then Houston cable providers would suddenly start gorging customers for the BTN.)

And since the state of Washington actually had more people than Maryland, wouldn’t Washington actually bring more cable subscriptions to the BTN than Maryland does?
    Rutgers and Maryland aren't just about their respective literal geographic borders. It's the East Coast media markets they are a part of which are much bigger. Pretending otherwise is like pretending UConn basketball is only relevant in Connecticut.

You really think Rutgers and Maryland are relevant outside Maryland and NJ? They’re barely even relevant in Maryland and NJ, forget about outside those states.

People in NYC really look down on NJ for in case you’re not aware-it’s pretty bizarre that anybody would think New Yorkers would seriously root for the state university of New Jersey.
    Except the B1G is relevant in the markets they’re in. B1G programming is constantly on in bars in the DC Metro. ACC content? Only when it’s on ESPN nationally.

Do you seriously think that games like Ohio State vs Michigan are "on in bars in the DC Metro" because Maryland is in the Big Ten?

Sports bars in all 50 states in the country get the BTN. It's not like bars in DC only have the BTN because Maryland is in the Big Ten. I'm not sure what your point is.
  • Options
    whlinder said:

Sandra6 said:

Sandra6 said:

Sandra6 said:

PS Even if you go by some mindless "tv market" perspective, Washington is a more populated state than Maryland. And that's before you even consider how nobody in Maryland gives a shit about Maryland football.

thats basically what happened, neither of those programs have a football program worth a shit. but, you could get the big 10 network on those cable providers, those cable providers would charge their customers, and then those cable providers could raise their carriage fees. same with adding buttgers, they suck, but you bring in the big 10 network into ny/nj/philly population.

to the bolded point, as mentioned above, i agree, but does anyone in the state of washington give a shit about washington football?

I am extremely skeptical of the idea that cable companies are seriously gorging NYC and NJ customers because of Rutger’s presence in the Big Ten, even though I’m sure that was the Big Ten’s dream when they invited Rutgers. There has to be at least some minimal interest in a local team in order to justify raising carriage fees. (Unless you seriously think that if the Big Ten invited Rice, then Houston cable providers would suddenly start gorging customers for the BTN.)

And since the state of Washington actually had more people than Maryland, wouldn’t Washington actually bring more cable subscriptions to the BTN than Maryland does?
    Rutgers and Maryland aren't just about their respective literal geographic borders. It's the East Coast media markets they are a part of which are much bigger. Pretending otherwise is like pretending UConn basketball is only relevant in Connecticut.

You really think Rutgers and Maryland are relevant outside Maryland and NJ? They’re barely even relevant in Maryland and NJ, forget about outside those states.

People in NYC really look down on NJ for in case you’re not aware-it’s pretty bizarre that anybody would think New Yorkers would seriously root for the state university of New Jersey.
    Except the B1G is relevant in the markets they’re in. B1G programming is constantly on in bars in the DC Metro. ACC content? Only when it’s on ESPN nationally.

Do you seriously think that games like Ohio State v Michigan are "constantly on in bars in the DC Metro" because Maryland is in the Big Ten?

Practically every sports bar in all 50 states of the US gets the BTN. It's not like sports bars in the DC Metro are only getting the BTN because Maryland is in the league. I'm not sure what your point is.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,522
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Doogles said:

dnc said:

LebamDawg said:
    Buy our way in, wtf? They'd take us in a heartbeat. So far we have resisted the idea because the vast majority of that conference sucks ass.
    PAC and Big 12 merge, East/West divisions. Much better than doing an ACC thing.
    The B12 lost their 2 biggest dogs.

You can't call yourself a power football conference without one blue blood.

Washington needs to step up to the plate. Time to Be the big Dawg
    That's why Oregon and UW join the B12. Both are higher ceilings than what they've got in football but the B12 offers a higher floor than the P12. TCU, Baylor, KState, UC, UCF, Houston, all recently offer better football than Colorado, WSU, Stan, Cal, UA. Basketball money is substantially better in the B12 as well. 6-9 teams in the tournament every year> 2-4. Kansas,Texas Tech and Oregon State all seem to be on the upswing in football and ASU is a mystery. Utah is the only consistently redeeming thing outside the NW in the P12 and that says all you need about "our" brand. GTFO sooner than later.
    PAC is hung up on academis. Makes the Big 12 highly unlikely, IMO.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    DC gives no fucks about MD basketball. Too busy doing swampy things. TTTTT, I know.

But it is a pretty big deal for the actual State of Maryland.

Lefty Driesell Superiority Guy.

Bias > MJ

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    Swaye said:

Brett Favre’s dick pic approves this post.

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    I might just be projecting here, but after reading some of @Sandra6 poasts, I'm gather zer sees some issues regarding Washington's perceived desirability versus that of Rutgers.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,288
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Sandra6 said:

whlinder said:

Sandra6 said:

Sandra6 said:

Sandra6 said:

Do you seriously think that games like Ohio State v Michigan are "constantly on in bars in the DC Metro" because Maryland is in the Big Ten?

Practically every sports bar in all 50 states of the US gets the BTN. It's not like sports bars in the DC Metro are only getting the BTN because Maryland is in the league. I'm not sure what your point is.
    I am referring to all the other mindless and menial content which is constantly on from the B1G, not their prime football property. It’s on. ACC is not.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    whlinder said:

Sandra6 said:

whlinder said:

Sandra6 said:

Sandra6 said:

Sandra6 said:

I am referring to all the other mindless and menial content which is constantly on from the B1G, not their prime football property. It’s on. ACC is not.

You seriously go to DC area sports bars that show college non-revenue sports? You must go to really strange sports bars.

Even if it's a a rare day where no live sports event that anybody will care about is taking place, every sports bar I've gone to will show replays of a 41-10 NFL blowout or 8-0 MLB blowout long before they'd show water polo. (Or any other college non-revenue sport.) Or else they might just not have the TVs on at all that day.

If I ever saw a sports bar televising a college non-revenue sport, I'd never go to that sports bar again.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sandra6 said:

whlinder said:

Sandra6 said:

whlinder said:

Sandra6 said:

Sandra6 said:

Sandra6 said:

You seriously go to DC area sports bars that show college non-revenue sports? You must go to really strange sports bars.

Even if it's a a rare day where no live sports event that anybody will care about is taking place, every sports bar I've gone to will show replays of a 41-10 NFL blowout or 8-0 MLB blowout long before they'd show water polo. (Or any other college non-revenue sport.) Or else they might just not have the TVs on at all that day.

If I ever saw a sports bar televising a college non-revenue sport, I'd never go to that sports bar again.
    Here's to hoping that ALL your favorite sportsbars start televising non revenue sports.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,066
    Founders Club

whlinder said:

Sandra6 said:

Sandra6 said:

Sandra6 said:

Need more ACC content.

Good night Irene
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,570
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,474
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I did a cursory search on Forbes and found only a grammatically deficient article, vague on any details. Wondering if there is a clear source that some talks are happening... until I see it assuming this is going nowhere
  • Options
    AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,474
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2023
    Actually Forbes is overrated... I see they published editorials from a guy I know who fancies himself an expert in something
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    AOG said:

I did a cursory search on Forbes and found only a grammatically deficient article, vague on any details. Wondering if there is a clear source that some talks are happening... until I see it assuming this is going nowhere

I give you the Apostle of Grammar.