Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Not only are we not a national brand

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,750
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited February 2023

The Illinois Rose Bowl is the first husky game I remember watching start to finish with the parents. I had watched parts of Rose Bowls and remember thinking how cool it was that our DAWGS were getting all that NBC free pub. It was THE game back then. I was 7

Billy Douglass from Wapato broke his leg and it was a lost cause. I don't recall Butkus in that game quite honestly

The Bears won the 1963 NFL title without Butkus and Sayers. Didn't win shit with them

Go figure

I see highlights of Butkus and think, "there's a guy who couldn't crack a roster at his position today." I see highlights of Sayers and I don't think that. Part of the reason for the latter is that Sayers ran track and has been clocked at 9.6 in the 100 yard dash (roughly a 10.5 100 meters ... 2/10ths slower than Roc Alexander, so pretty fast) and long jumped just under 25 feet (all great long jumpers are fast). Track is objective and can't fool the eye. The times and distances are what they are. Sayers could have played today.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,226
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sayers is in the hall of fame for 3 seasons

If you were there you'd agree

Yes he could play today. And they probably could fix his knee
  • Options

UW lost to USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, and Illinois. Quality losses for those who rely on that. Pitt is the other loss

Growing up, I thought the Big 10 existed just to send a big slow team to Pasadena once a year so that the Pac 10 had someone to beat and so their fat and pasty fans could have some semblance of a life for a few days enjoying Southern Cal in the winter.

Bo Schembechler is Michigan's all-time winningest coach whose specialty was losing the Rose Bowl. 2-8. JFC. When that is what you see while your brain in still trying to form in Aberdeen, it's hard to take those guys seriously. Ohio State felt a little different and the rest of the Big 10 sucked. Penn State was good when I was growing up but weren't part of it. I remember everyone and their boners about Chuck Long and Iowa. Pfft. I called that one. At least they're 2-1 having beaten Beav and Cal before electricity was common in rural southern households.
  • Options

UW lost to USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, and Illinois. Quality losses for those who rely on that. Pitt is the other loss

That was a GOOD Illinois squad!

Don't forget Jim Grabowski. Packers number 1 pick
    How could I forget?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    dflea said:

My old man was at med school at UI when Butkus and Grabowski were playing there.

Don't get him started, or you'll never hear the end of it.

When Slick Rick and the Bruins took UI behind the woodshed at the 84 Rose Bowl, I left the house because I was sure he was going to flip out and I wasn't going to be within an arm's reach. Man, he was mad. lol

God bless Richard Gerald Neuiheisel, Jr.

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,287
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Growing up, I thought the Big 10 existed just to send a big slow team to Pasadena once a year so that the Pac 10 had someone to beat and so their fat and pasty fans could have some semblance of a life for a few days enjoying Southern Cal in the winter.

Bo Schembechler is Michigan's all-time winningest coach whose specialty was losing the Rose Bowl. 2-8. JFC. When that is what you see while your brain in still trying to form in Aberdeen, it's hard to take those guys seriously. Ohio State felt a little different and the rest of the Big 10 sucked. Penn State was good when I was growing up but weren't part of it. I remember everyone and their boners about Chuck Long and Iowa. Pfft. I called that one. At least they're 2-1 having beaten Beav and Cal before electricity was common in rural southern households.
    Bo beat James for one of them

From WW2 to 1959 the Big Ten owned the Rose Bowl. Jim Owens changed that then John McKay showed up. Woody was able to beat him with Archie Griffin

But yes the Pac owned the real Rose Bowl. Ucla beat the famous Michigan State team that tied Notre Dame
    Heisman Trophy winner Gary Beban, UCLA's only one...
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Back to the original topic, I guess national brand depends on who you ask. Here are the (limited) collegiate choices on Vineyard Vines. No Cane, no Duck, no DWAG! no Trooj, no respeck!

#bostoncollege?

#fuckthoseguys
  • Options

In all seriousness I think they’re in the next tier. Only 2 NCs is the big disqualifier though they have a couple other worthy seasons. Only one Heisman winner. They’re just on the outside looking in IMO. And that’s before any sort of asterisk for harboring a pedophile for decades.

And one of those was gifted to them by a greasy WOP.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,764
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Back to the original topic, I guess national brand depends on who you ask. Here are the (limited) collegiate choices on Vineyard Vines. No Cane, no Duck, no DWAG! no Trooj, no respeck!

#bostoncollege?

#fuckthoseguys

vineyard vines is only worn by the douchiest of douches feom the southeast
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

#bostoncollege?

#fuckthoseguys

Massachusetts company overrates Massachusetts program.

SAD!!!
  • Options

#bostoncollege?

#fuckthoseguys

vineyard vines is only worn by the douchiest of douches feom the southeast
    Count me in!
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,234
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

ATM has never done shit

I've think we've destroyed this list before

Recency bias and recruiting awards

We're pretty even with ATM in terms of Winsipedia stats are for losers.

But Hitler had just invaded Poland the last time they won a fucking Natty. This gives Washington a huge edge on them.

http://www.winsipedia.com/washington/vs/texas-am
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,287
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

ATM has never done shit

I've think we've destroyed this list before

Recency bias and recruiting awards

We're pretty even with ATM in terms of Winsipedia stats are for losers.

But Hitler had just invaded Poland the last time they won a fucking Natty. This gives Washington a huge edge on them.

http://www.winsipedia.com/washington/vs/texas-am
    In 1939, my pops was getting ready to be a Longhorn, and my Uncle Bob (does everyone have an Uncle Bob?) was already at aTm. Neither one graduated (Bob ended up at Normandy, my dad went to the south pacific). I wish I could have recorded when they were together, arguing over Horns / Aggies, it was epic every time...
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

#bostoncollege?

#fuckthoseguys

I take it Kentucky is in there for their basketball exploits? But what fucking assclown has BC on any fucking list of national brands or bluebloods? Get the fuck outta here. Not even some retard from Aberdeen is going to believe that shit. Maybe Ocean Shores.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,415
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

#bostoncollege?

#fuckthoseguys

I take it Kentucky is in there for their basketball exploits? But what fucking assclown has BC on any fucking list of national brands or bluebloods? Get the fuck outta here. Not even some retard from Aberdeen is going to believe that shit. Maybe Ocean Shores.
    No one is left in Ocean Shores.
  • Options
    dflea said:

#bostoncollege?

#fuckthoseguys

You mean South Beach? Or the real Ocean Shores.

I often confuse them, as do most people.
  • Options
    dflea said:

#bostoncollege?

#fuckthoseguys

I assume so. But who knows. Once you get BC in there, anything goes.