Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Not only are we not a national brand

Comments

• Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

dnc said:

For me there's a difference between Tier I and Blue Bloods. Tier I is more forward lookin (with obviously a healthy dose of accomplishments). Blue Bloods is more historical accomplishments. To me Nebraska is a dying Blue Blood but probably no longer in Tier 1.

I think you still gotta consider Nebraska a Blue Blood based on history. They are no doubt dying, but as we've so often seen, any school like that is just one home run hire away from getting the ship righted. The challenge is, of course, those guys are so far an few between.

So here's in interesting question: When did Cal cease being a Blue Blood? When the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor they certainly still met all the requirements- e.g., NTs in 1920, 21, 22, 23 and 37.
    Great question and I’m not precisely sure. I would say definitely by 1980 but probably before. By 80 they had gone 30 years without a top 10 finish and 43 years without an NC (or even a rose bowl win, or any bowel win though obviously bowl wins meant something back then).

Four of their five NCs were consecutive and under one coach. They never really established themselves as a serious power outside of Smith besides one 3-4 year run each under Stub and Pappy.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,194
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2023

Blue blood is a restricted club. The votes don't surprise me

Michigan is a blue blood but Florida has been better for 30 years

Clemson had a big decade

UW has fits of glory followed by despair

Texas is a blue blood despite 7 wins a year

Its
    Notre Dame
    Michigan
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Bama
    tOSU
    USC

This
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,279
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Was Penn State a blue blood?
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,279
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited February 2023

In all seriousness I think they’re in the next tier. Only 2 NCs is the big disqualifier though they have a couple other worthy seasons. Only one Heisman winner. They’re just on the outside looking in IMO. And that’s before any sort of asterisk for harboring a pedophile for decades.

I agree. I looked at it and thought "Who is missing, if anyone?", and I have a probable bias towards them because they were dominant during the time I started to pay attention (late 60's), and they were on TV a lot (at the time, probably 3-4 times a year)...
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Florida State might have a better argument than Penn State. It’s an interesting comp anyway. Both fall short IMO.
  • Options
    coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Have to considered recruiting more STEM majors? Seems to be working at Oregon. @46XiJCAB @trublue @creepycoug @Ballz
  • Options
    So I haven’t researched it and maybe all of my own blue blood picks don’t qualify if we use this lens but I’m thinking a true Blue Blood should have at least 2 NCs even after you take away the accomplishments of their best coach. A blue blood is a top program over multiple eras and multiple administrations. Can’t just be held up by one coach and another random great year.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2023
    If Texas didn't have the high school football culture they wouldn't be considered.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,338
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    As the bored’s resident Penn State fan (it continues to trend for my kid to go there) agree that they’re tier 2 in this.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

dnc said:

dnc said:

Clemson had a big decade

Its
    Notre Dame
    Michigan
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Bama
    tOSU
    USC

Curious why you put Texas in and not Nebraska? They seem fairly equivalent to me.

I think the other 6 are clear blue bloods. To me there's either 6 or 8, I don't see enough separation between Texas and Nebraska to have one but not the other.

I like 6.
    It's often been stated, that to be a true Blue Blood, you need to have tradition, location and money. Nebraska lacks the location piece these days. Notre Dame is the worst of the blue bloods on the field the past 30 years, but they still have all 3.
    The IRON LAWS® of college football were always meant to be forward looking. Aubbie's (foolish) contention was if you have these three things you will succeed going forward it's only a matter of tim.

I don't think that's what "Blue Bloods" is trying to describe and Aubbie himself never applied them in that fashion that i'm aware of.

For one obvious poont he applied these IRON LAWS to UW (vis a vis Oregon) as a guarantee that we would surpass them again ultimately. I don't think even Aubbie would argue UW is a blue blood.

So no, I am confident it has not been often stated that these things are required to be a Blue Blood. I'm not sure it's ever been stated until this thread.

#AuburnDawgFSSuperiorityGuy
    Things get misquoted around here all the Tim....ain't no big thing.

That being said, what's a better definition of a Blue Blood than the "Iron Laws"? @creepycoug isn't a Blue Blood because he still doesn't have tradition and no dinero either.
    Miami is a boom or bust program. Would I prefer they were good all the time and had a coach that wanted to stay 25 years and beat everyone senseless? Sure. And there's enough money to make it happen. But I'd take what they've given me over flacid "consistently good but never great." I'd rather reach the peak and see the view and then descend to sea level for a while vs. spending my life at base camp. YMMV.

Miami has been part of some of the most historically important and visible games ever, has been part of some nationally-compelling rivalries, established sea changes in the game by way of style of play, by way of program culture, has produced a shit ton of truly great name players, is closing in on Buck and Michigan for most alumni in the pro fb HOF (and will then be knocking on SC's door), has one or two of the very best teams ever to be fielded and has been as nationally relevant, love them or hate them, as any program has ever been. Every single person knows who they are and what they've been about. The program that beat one of the most dominant cfb teams ever for its first title, and won 5 and played for 2 others. I could go on, and will if you make me. This is the program that made Jimmy Johnson cry like a little girl on his way to the airport for Dallas.

I'll take what they've given me over being a Nebraska, Texas, Michigan or ND fan any. day. of. the. week. Those of you who like the monarchy and who like to look down your noses at the newly rich may prefer otherwise. Again, IDFC. It's a Miami thing. You wouldn't understand.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

Clemson had a big decade

Its
    Notre Dame
    Michigan
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Bama
    tOSU
    USC

Curious why you put Texas in and not Nebraska? They seem fairly equivalent to me.

I think the other 6 are clear blue bloods. To me there's either 6 or 8, I don't see enough separation between Texas and Nebraska to have one but not the other.

I like 6.
    It's often been stated, that to be a true Blue Blood, you need to have tradition, location and money. Nebraska lacks the location piece these days. Notre Dame is the worst of the blue bloods on the field the past 30 years, but they still have all 3.
    The IRON LAWS® of college football were always meant to be forward looking. Aubbie's (foolish) contention was if you have these three things you will succeed going forward it's only a matter of tim.

I don't think that's what "Blue Bloods" is trying to describe and Aubbie himself never applied them in that fashion that i'm aware of.

For one obvious poont he applied these IRON LAWS to UW (vis a vis Oregon) as a guarantee that we would surpass them again ultimately. I don't think even Aubbie would argue UW is a blue blood.

So no, I am confident it has not been often stated that these things are required to be a Blue Blood. I'm not sure it's ever been stated until this thread.

A few in-depth observations:

1. @Auburndawg was always stupid. I liked him and thought he was funny (to look at), but also always thought he was dumb. And, yes, I do have a view of who here is smart and who is not, and there is plenty of both.

2. Bluebloods - who really cares? It's a dumb designation/club/list/cohort/thing to discuss. It means absolutely nothing and has little to no consequence. If some team is a blue blood by virtue of piling up wins before black players were allowed or before TV was invented, then I don't care about it and I don't care that others do care about it. IJDC. It's dumb. Like @Auburndawg. Just dumb.

3. It is invariably implicated by fans of teams that used to be good but aren't anymore, or it's used against an upstart threat to try and squash their mo ... or whatever. It's a play for permanent respeck status that said fanbase tries to make stick to the wall. Sometimes the blueblood wannabes enable this nonsense (hi Husky fans with Trojan cocks in their mouths). I reject it as anti-American. You like permanent status? Go to England where they still pay homage to hereditary title and related bullshit. When you think about, being the opposite of that is what made American great in the first place, and better than GB ever was. Who came crawling to whom when Hitler was about to go in dry? Stiff upper lip wasn't going to get it done in the long-run. American industry made that happen bitches. We're better precisely because we don't stifle ourselves with rigid social hierarchy that has real-world implications. You gotta go get it here if you want it. The Brits have been third-tier forever. Don't twist it; I love The Crown. I eat that shit up. But I also think it's wildly stupid and love that I live somewhere that is full of people who wouldn't think for a second to accept such a ridiculous social arrangement. Same goes for cfb. You're either good now and have been recently or you're not. Don't waste my tim talking to me about all-time records Michigan. IDC. Me going around and squawking about Miami back when at the same time that Pitt is thrusting its cockus in our? collective asses, again, would just be dumb. I've probably done it, but it's still dumb.

4. Anybody who jerks off to perennial underachieving Texas is just straight pathetic.
    Jesus Christos @creepycoug you ignorant slut.

The UK has a permanent seat (with veto power) on the UN Security Council. That's about as Blue Blood as it gets.
    Exhibit B for why "blue blood" is stupid. Sixth largest economy in the world. Bfd. Wake me up.

Setting aside our shared history and language, they being the source of a lot of our traditions, legal and economic, we wouldn't care about them. You know it, I know it, and the American people know. Fuck, Jackie Kennedy tried to explain this to you 60 years ago boo. Take your Anglophile perversions off the board ese. It's unmanly. And un-American.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,172
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

dnc said:

Clemson had a big decade

Its
    Notre Dame
    Michigan
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Bama
    tOSU
    USC

I like 6.

That being said, what's a better definition of a Blue Blood than the "Iron Laws"? @creepycoug isn't a Blue Blood because he still doesn't have tradition and no dinero either.
    Miami is a boom or bust program. Would I prefer they were good all the time and had a coach that wanted to stay 25 years and beat everyone senseless? Sure. And there's enough money to make it happen. But I'd take what they've given me over flacid "consistently good but never great." I'd rather reach the peak and see the view and then descend to sea level for a while vs. spending my life at base camp. YMMV.

Miami has been part of some of the most historically important and visible games ever, has been part of some nationally-compelling rivalries, established sea changes in the game by way of style of play, by way of program culture, has produced a shit ton of truly great name players, is closing in on Buck and Michigan for most alumni in the pro fb HOF (and will then be knocking on SC's door), has one or two of the very best teams ever to be fielded and has been as nationally relevant, love them or hate them, as any program has ever been. Every single person knows who they are and what they've been about. The program that beat one of the most dominant cfb teams ever for its first title, and won 5 and played for 2 others. I could go on, and will if you make me. This is the program that made Jimmy Johnson cry like a little girl on his way to the airport for Dallas.

I'll take what they've given me over being a Nebraska, Texas, Michigan or ND fan any. day. of. the. week. Those of you who like the monarchy and who like to look down your noses at the newly rich may prefer otherwise. Again, IDFC. It's a Miami thing. You wouldn't understand.

• Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,559
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2023
    Here is the blue blood list per https://www.gambleonline.co/blog/who-are-the-blue-bloods-of-college-football/
    1. Bama
    2. Michigan
    3. Nebraska
    4. The Irish
    5. Ohio St
    6. Oklahomo
    7. Texas
    8. USC

and the ones that barely missed out
      UGA
      Penn State
      LSU
      FSU
      Florida
      Miami
      Clemson
      Tennessee
      Auburn
      Washington
    Edit - We are the bottom of the elites I think
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

Clemson had a big decade

Its
    Notre Dame
    Michigan
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Bama
    tOSU
    USC

I like 6.

but even the stupid city of Miami couldn't take away any of the things I listed. that's all for keeps.
  • Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,017
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    If we can win an NC in the next couple of years, and claim a couple more retroactive NCs, I think we can make a strong case for being a dark purple blood with heavy blue tints mixed in.

Weren't we undefeated for many years back in the 1920s and 1930s? I realize some of those games were against Ballard High School and the Crew of the USS Lincoln... but still. I bet those wins were as hard to come by as some of the wins that the pure blue bloods have from those years.

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    When Penix wins the Heisman and UW wins the National Championship next year, UW will vault into the Blue Bloods category #cookit