Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Not only are we not a national brand

Comments

• Options
    KidsInCagesDawgKidsInCagesDawg Member Posts: 332
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    But 10,900 of those votes are from Sven
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2023

Blue blood is a restricted club. The votes don't surprise me

Michigan is a blue blood but Florida has been better for 30 years

Clemson had a big decade

UW has fits of glory followed by despair

Texas is a blue blood despite 7 wins a year

Its
    Notre Dame
    Michigan
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Bama
    tOSU
    USC

Curious why you put Texas in and not Nebraska? They seem fairly equivalent to me.

I think the other 6 are clear blue bloods. To me there's either 6 or 8, I don't see enough separation between Texas and Nebraska to have one but not the other.

I like 6.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,172
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Clemson had a big decade

Its
    Notre Dame
    Michigan
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Bama
    tOSU
    USC

Curious why you put Texas in and not Nebraska? They seem fairly equivalent to me.

I think the other 6 are clear blue bloods. To me there's either 6 or 8, I don't see enough separation between Texas and Nebraska to have one but not the other.

I like 6.
    It's often been stated, that to be a true Blue Blood, you need to have tradition, location and money. Nebraska lacks the location piece these days. Notre Dame is the worst of the blue bloods on the field the past 30 years, but they still have all 3.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,100
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Clemson had a big decade

Its
    Notre Dame
    Michigan
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Bama
    tOSU
    USC

I like 6.
    I voted on these polls on the twatter and can’t remember how I voted on Texas and Nebraska. The other 6 are for sure blue bloods. Texas and Nebraska you can argue convincingly for them as a yes or no.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Clemson had a big decade

Its
    Notre Dame
    Michigan
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Bama
    tOSU
    USC

I like 6.
    It's often been stated, that to be a true Blue Blood, you need to have tradition, location and money. Nebraska lacks the location piece these days. Notre Dame is the worst of the blue bloods on the field the past 30 years, but they still have all 3.
    The IRON LAWS® of college football were always meant to be forward looking. Aubbie's (foolish) contention was if you have these three things you will succeed going forward it's only a matter of tim.

I don't think that's what "Blue Bloods" is trying to describe and Aubbie himself never applied them in that fashion that i'm aware of.

For one obvious poont he applied these IRON LAWS to UW (vis a vis Oregon) as a guarantee that we would surpass them again ultimately. I don't think even Aubbie would argue UW is a blue blood.

So no, I am confident it has not been often stated that these things are required to be a Blue Blood. I'm not sure it's ever been stated until this thread.

#AuburnDawgFSSuperiorityGuy
    Things get misquoted around here all the Tim....ain't no big thing.

That being said, what's a better definition of a Blue Blood than the "Iron Laws"? @creepycoug isn't a Blue Blood because he still doesn't have tradition and no dinero either.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

dnc said:

dnc said:

Clemson had a big decade

Its
    Notre Dame
    Michigan
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Bama
    tOSU
    USC

I like 6.
    The IRON LAWS® of college football were always meant to be forward looking. Aubbie's (foolish) contention was if you have these three things you will succeed going forward it's only a matter of tim.

I don't think that's what "Blue Bloods" is trying to describe and Aubbie himself never applied them in that fashion that i'm aware of.

For one obvious poont he applied these IRON LAWS to UW (vis a vis Oregon) as a guarantee that we would surpass them again ultimately. I don't think even Aubbie would argue UW is a blue blood.

So no, I am confident it has not been often stated that these things are required to be a Blue Blood. I'm not sure it's ever been stated until this thread.

That being said, what's a better definition of a Blue Blood than the "Iron Laws"? @creepycoug isn't a Blue Blood because he still doesn't have tradition and no dinero either.
    I think tradition is definitely a requirement for blue blood status. I don't think location is. Norman, OK is nothing special (neither is South Bend) but i think those schools are clear blue bloods. Tuscaloosa isn't a great location either. If your argument is location only matters for proximity to recruits even that leaves South Bend out IMO.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,041
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Clemson had a big decade

Its
    Notre Dame
    Michigan
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Bama
    tOSU
    USC

@RaceBannon wasn't Nebraska a blue blood at one point? 5 Natties from the 70s to 90s. Did they get stripped of their status.

northwestern is one of the teams you lose to you automatically get your blue blood status stripped.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Clemson had a big decade

Its
    Notre Dame
    Michigan
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Bama
    tOSU
    USC

I like 6.

I think tradition is definitely a requirement for blue blood status. I don't think location is. Norman, OK is nothing special (neither is South Bend) but i think those schools are clear blue bloods. Tuscaloosa isn't a great location either. If your argument is location only matters for proximity to recruits even that leaves South Bend out IMO.
    Norman, OK is like 3 hrs drive from DFW. The Red River game happens annually in the Cotton Bowl. From a recruiting perspective OU seems a lot closer to the promised land than Lincoln- i.e., "location".

South Bend is a dump but close to football recruiting grounds of the Upper Midwest and they are as National Brand as it gets. The biggest thing holding them back at this point is refusal to bend (no pun indented) on academis.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Clemson had a big decade

Its
    Notre Dame
    Michigan
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Bama
    tOSU
    USC

I like 6.

Norman, OK is like 3 hrs drive from DFW. The Red River game happens annually in the Cotton Bowl. From a recruiting perspective OU seems a lot closer to the promised land than Lincoln- i.e., "location".

South Bend is a dump but close to football recruiting grounds of the Upper Midwest and they are as National Brand as it gets. The biggest thing holding them back at this point is refusal to bend (no pun indented) on academis.
    I don't disagree with any of this. I don't think Nebraska's future is super bright. But I do think they still qualify as a Blue Blood. Maybe they won't after another ten years of failure. But like most schools they are still just the right coach away from success. If they find him they can still revive the brand IMO.

Notre Dame and Texas as well.
  • Options
    For me there's a difference between Tier I and Blue Bloods. Tier I is more forward lookin (with obviously a healthy dose of accomplishments). Blue Bloods is more historical accomplishments. To me Nebraska is a dying Blue Blood but probably no longer in Tier 1.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

For me there's a difference between Tier I and Blue Bloods. Tier I is more forward lookin (with obviously a healthy dose of accomplishments). Blue Bloods is more historical accomplishments. To me Nebraska is a dying Blue Blood but probably no longer in Tier 1.

I think you still gotta consider Nebraska a Blue Blood based on history. They are no doubt dying, but as we've so often seen, any school like that is just one home run hire away from getting the ship righted. The challenge is, of course, those guys are so far an few between.

So here's in interesting question: When did Cal cease being a Blue Blood? When the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor they certainly still met all the requirements- e.g., NTs in 1920, 21, 22, 23 and 37.