Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Let’s talk the back end

Comments

• Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,258
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Where is her other leg? Gone.....just gone

NTTAWWT
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

CB Muhammad (starter)
    FS Turner, Asa JR (grandfather of the group)
    SS Hampton, Dominique RS JR (why not)
    CB Caleb Presley/Curley Reed (both are better than current)

Muhammad is the Big 12’s third-highest-graded and fourth-most valuable cornerback over the last two seasons, according to PFF's wins above average metric.

His 19 coverage stops in that span ranks second for Big 12 cornerbacks. \Muhammad will play for Washington next season

You’re gonna have 5 db’s on the field more often than not.
    Kam at Husky.

A defensive backfield that involves a combo of Asa, Hampton, Kamfab and/or Powell is going to be a recipe for a year of frustrating 3rd and long conversions again. All those guys suck at coverage. Really need at least 1 more solid portal guy

You must be watching a different tape. ASA has shown to be good in coverage, much of the blown coverages occurred when he was out hurt. Tackling and angles are a different story.
    Lock up the corners with Muhammad and the best incoming true freshman let ASA roam the back field and let Hampton play close to the line of scrimmage
    Unfortunately for Asa, tackling is part of football. Some say, it’s a pretty big part of the game.
    Good thing he has another spring practice and fall practice to actually improve
    Is this a whoosh? He’s played 4 years now and he doesn’t do everything within his power to win the game. He hates contact.
    You’re right , I’ve never seen players improve here, just never
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    They still need to get better in the back 7 … not enough playmakers there
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

They still need to get better in the back 7 … not enough playmakers there

There aren't any unless they're arriving this off-season. Ulofoshio is definitely one if he's fully healthy, but I'm not going to believe that will be until it is.

I have some hope for the corners and safeties. I really hope for a new, badass inside linebacker. If Ulo isn't healthy and we get what we already have it's going to be frustrating.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,258
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Well, with a big, tall, healthy Penix and his ensemble of playmakers, we won't have much trouble scoring points on almost anybody. Can the defensive backend handle the poundin to the roundin to atleast slow offenses down enough to make sure we win the TOP game. If we can get into a playoff/NY6 game, that's when having a lockdown defense makes a difference when the game no longer is a flag football touchdownpalooza, and you NEED a stop. I'd feel better with another portal rat innthe secondary that can hit hard and is instinctive and can lockdown a #1 WR
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

dannarc said:

NTTAWWT
    She & Bo Nix should hook up.
    You are en fuego. You really blew up.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2023
    chuck said:

CB Muhammad (starter)

Muhammad is the Big 12’s third-highest-graded and fourth-most valuable cornerback over the last two seasons, according to PFF's wins above average metric.

His 19 coverage stops in that span ranks second for Big 12 cornerbacks. \Muhammad will play for Washington next season

Kam at Husky.

A defensive backfield that involves a combo of Asa, Hampton, Kamfab and/or Powell is going to be a recipe for a year of frustrating 3rd and long conversions again. All those guys suck at coverage. Really need at least 1 more solid portal guy

You must be watching a different tape. ASA has shown to be good in coverage, much of the blown coverages occurred when he was out hurt. Tackling and angles are a different story.
    Lock up the corners with Muhammad and the best incoming true freshman let ASA roam the back field and let Hampton play close to the line of scrimmage
    Unfortunately for Asa, tackling is part of football. Some say, it’s a pretty big part of the game.
    Is this a whoosh? He’s played 4 years now and he doesn’t do everything within his power to win the game. He hates contact.
    Turner has improved a little at open field tackling but still has some confounding misses.

Less confounding is the way he avoids making tackles inside and close to the line. He's terrified of the kind of contact that happens in crowded spaces and it's those situations where I still saw him intentionally taking himself out of plays this season.

Believe me or don't. I saw it. I don't know how you expect improvement in that facet, where his weakness is clearly intentional, after all this time. He's been getting away with it for 4 years. Why change?
    Chuck for defensive coordinator!!!!

Two fucking entirely different staffs have started this guy. He obviously brings something to the table. Before he got hurt this year he was playing very well. He’s a senior next year. People with less fucking talent have improved over their last two years at any school even with less coaching than he is getting
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,300
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Asa “ he does some good things at times” Turner.

Ringing endorsement!
  • Options
    HarbaughKhakisHarbaughKhakis Member Posts: 104
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    You play the best 5 regardless. Irvin is one of the best 5.

CB Muhammad
    CB Powell
    FS Irvin
    SS Turner
    Husky Hampton
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,501
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

We played quite a bit better when Turner was on the field. He’s easy to hate, but our front 7 actually stopped the run most games and his weak tackling was less noticeable because of that. He’s does some good things at times.

He was laying Oregon State RBs out with tackles.

This board ignores that
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,787
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

She can sit on my face all day long but Id be shocked if that isnt a surgery ass, or photoshop
    Yeah, that's not real
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I've never seen a player get more excuses and patience from this board than Turner does. He does some good things that made him the least shitty of an extremely shitty group of DBs. JFC.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,973
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

We played quite a bit better when Turner was on the field. He’s easy to hate, but our front 7 actually stopped the run most games and his weak tackling was less noticeable because of that. He’s does some good things at times.

He was laying Oregon State RBs out with tackles.

This board ignores that
    He had a glaring easy missed tackle on a shitty oregon state wr too that sprung a big play. He knows where people are supposed to line up and isn’t bad in coverage. But he is still a huge liability in tackling which is a big deal for any safety. Our safety play has been ass since Myles bryant left. Turner is not good, but he is definitely the best we have at that position. For this I blame the coaches.
  • Options
    HypnotiqueHypnotique Member Posts: 70
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    chuck said:

CB Muhammad (starter)

Kam at Husky.

Turner has improved a little at open field tackling but still has some confounding misses.

Less confounding is the way he avoids making tackles inside and close to the line. He's terrified of the kind of contact that happens in crowded spaces and it's those situations where I still saw him intentionally taking himself out of plays this season.

Believe me or don't. I saw it. I don't know how you expect improvement in that facet, where his weakness is clearly intentional, after all this time. He's been getting away with it for 4 years. Why change?
    It’s nice to see that other people watch Husky games without blindfolds. Turner is not good.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,855
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

dannarc said:

NTTAWWT
    She & Bo Nix should hook up.
    You are en fuego. You really blew up.
    Who thought A - RAbs could do comedy?!!