Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Official: Deion Prediction Thread

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,966
    edited December 2022
    Prime Time: Sanders is a success at CU and plays in a CCG before he LEAVES
    I really have no idea how he'll do, because I have no idea how anyone will do. Neither does anybody else. If there's one thing about this sport it's that it's most rabid followers are 99% wrong on their hot takes before their post hot take rationalizations, which get them to around a 15% success rate.

He'll probably fail because most people do. But none of the reasons I've seen articulated are overwhelming me. What, he's the first hard ass to have to deal with coordinators and players with futures? Uh, no. He's the first prima donna to be a head coach? Uh, no. There's some mystical reason why having been naturally gifted athletically translates to coaching failure? IDK, someone will have to explain that one to me.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,811 Swaye's Wigwam
    Prime Rib: Megalomaniac, he's carved up and spit out within 4
    He won’t last four years and he certainly won’t make it to a CCG (seriously?).

He’ll take a better job in the SEC within two years.
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,559 Founders Club
    I don’t think this attitude of recycling players via portal every season builds any sort of chemistry. Also buying kids in recruiting that come there because you’re a transcendent hall of fame player and personality doesn’t make you fall in love with the school or city you’re signing with. At some point it will come back to haunt you IMO
  • 79smoothdawg79smoothdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 714 Swaye's Wigwam
    He will be good because he will get lots of Joes. No playoff though
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,386

I really have no idea how he'll do, because I have no idea how anyone will do. Neither does anybody else. If there's one thing about this sport it's that it's most rabid followers are 99% wrong on their hot takes before their post hot take rationalizations, which get them to around a 15% success rate.

He'll probably fail because most people do. But none of the reasons I've seen articulated are overwhelming me. What, he's the first hard ass to have to deal with coordinators and players with futures? Uh, no. He's the first prima donna to be a head coach? Uh, no. There's some mystical reason why having been naturally gifted athletically translates to coaching failure? IDK, someone will have to explain that one to me.

I'll take a shot...Elite level players make the game look easy. That is not coached, it is who they are. They aren't perfect, but their athleticism / skill make up for their mistakes. Lesser players (everyone else) have to have perfect technique, be coached up.

Just because a guy can do it / has done it, doesn't mean he can teach it at a high level. Many of the stories I have heard / seen, there is a level of frustration for formerly elite players when their players can't do what the coach tells them, because they aren't as good as the coach was.

As a baseball guy, I can remember going to the national coaches convention, in 87. They paired up Don Mattingly and Tony Gwynn to talk about hitting, to a room full of 2,000 HS and college coaches. It was a Q and A, and it was incredibly uncomfortable. One Q I will never forget, to Mattingly: "In your set-up, why do you hold your hands where you do?" A: "Because it feels comfortable". For him.

Brett Favre had to ask Ty Detmer what a nickel-defense was, in his 2nd year in the league.

Obviously Mattingly and Gwynn became coaches, and had success, but most good coaches were average players who had to seek and know every detail of what they were doing to even sniff the field (this covers the "Me" portion of the post). You learn it inside-and-out, because you have to, and you become passionate about it. It becomes a calling, and it is a profession. Also, you don't see HOF players coach because they were paid so well during their careers, potentially decreasing the desire to grind.

He could be a success at Buff, there is a lot of history that tells me it's not a lock...

My 2 cents, tl/dr

• Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958 Standard Supporter
    Whatever happens it will be entertaining to watch.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,853
    Since most coaches fail....youd be an idiot to ever pick one to have success at a non premier school.
  • GayThoughtsGayThoughts Member Posts: 453
    Coaching matters, just cause you can out-athlete the SWAC doesn’t mean it will translate to the PAC. Prime will be back to analyzing hips and hand size at the combine in 36 months
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,364 Swaye's Wigwam
    All sizzle. 9 wins max
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,908 Swaye's Wigwam
    Canadawg said:

All sizzle. 9 wins max

That’s going to be enough to springboard him to an SEC school or FSU.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346

He’s right, you know. But then, you can say that about every corch that crooted and then left for a better jerb.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,545 Founders Club

He’s right, you know. But then, you can say that about every corch that crooted and then left for a better jerb.
    But Prime was DIFFERENT
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,163

I wonder how much money Bomani Jones has sent to HBCU's...
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346

More than you? Why does that matter?

He’s an alum of a HBCU, he’s probably donated to them. He’s still entitled to his (wrong) opinion about Neon Deion.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,512 Founders Club
    Crabs in a barrel
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,163

More than you? Why does that matter?

He’s an alum of a HBCU, he’s probably donated to them. He’s still entitled to his (wrong) opinion about Neon Deion.
    He's entitled to his opinion, sure. Deion gave a ton of his own cash to the school. At what point would it have been okay for Deion to leave? Was he expected to stay there for 30 years? I'm hearing he also HAD A CONTRACT!

The criticism he's taking from black media is beyond stupid. The same folks who yell about the lack of opportunities for black coaches are pissed off that Deion decided to take one of those opportunities.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,666 Standard Supporter
    He will move to another job before smelling the playoffs.

Unlike successful black coaches, Shaw, there are their counterparts, Ty, Lake, Dorrell, Green, Edwards, Taggert. Of course, the same can be said about white coaches even more so. Try doing a search for successful Black head coaches in college football. I only used PAC12 examples

The returns are more "Why aren't there more black coaches".

Deion will move on hopefully to be a successful coach - there will be lots of scrutiny and criticism no matter what he does. He can handle the pressure if anyone can.

He will be ESPN's golden boy for sure and they will make racism an issue for they next two years,