Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jive Ass Turkey Pole

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Jive Ass Turkey Pole 18 votes

Fried Turkey
33%
DerekJohnsonPurpleBazedncalumni94biak1YellowSnow 6 votes
Roasted Turkey
27%
AtomicDawghuskyhooliganLebamDawgEl_Kdannarc 5 votes
I Hate Turkey; it's too dry and bland
38%
CFetters_Nacho_LoverSwayewhlinderYouKnowItchuckFenderbender123BleachedAnusDawg 7 votes

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2022
    Fried Turkey
    Swaye said:

I eat buffalo on Thanksgiving. Turkey is a symbol of oppression.

Turkeys originated in Mexico. You're probably rayciss against Messicans.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,857
    Founders Club
    I don’t actually hate Turkey but I’d rather have ham, steak or prime rib. As a child of poor greasy slav (shout out @YellowSnow) immigrants, I don’t recall too many Turkey dinners in our humble abode.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    F/O rowpeeterpuffer you forgot smokers.

My sister and her hubby always bring a smoked turkey for thanksgiving and a smoked prime rib for christmas. If they didn't do that I wouldn't even claim them as family.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fried Turkey
    chuck said:

My sister and her hubby always bring a smoked turkey for thanksgiving and a smoked prime rib for christmas. If they didn't do that I wouldn't even claim them as family.

Smoking is for salmon, jerky, and things of that nature. Not for turkey.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,485
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

chuck said:

Pork, beef, chicken, etc. Get your reads down!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fried Turkey

chuck said:

Pork, beef, chicken, etc. Get your reads down!
    You "smoke" a ham. You "bbq" pork shoulder or ribs. They both involve smoke but they are not the same.

Smoking is the process of flavoring, browning, cooking, or preserving food by exposing it to smoke from burning or smoldering material, most often wood. Meat, fish, and lapsang souchong tea are often smoked.

In Europe, alder is the traditional smoking wood, but oak is more often used now, and beech to a lesser extent.[clarification needed] In North America, hickory, mesquite, oak, pecan, alder, maple, and fruit-tree woods, such as apple, cherry, and plum, are commonly used for smoking. Other biomass besides wood can also be employed, sometimes with the addition of flavoring ingredients. Chinese tea-smoking uses a mixture of uncooked rice, sugar, and tea, heated at the base of a wok.

Some North American ham and bacon makers smoke their products over burning corncobs. Peat is burned to dry and smoke the barley malt used to make Scotch whisky and some beers. In New Zealand, sawdust from the native manuka (tea tree) is commonly used for hot smoking fish. In Iceland, dried sheep dung is used to cold-smoke fish, lamb, mutton and whale.

Historically, farms in the Western world included a small building termed the "smokehouse", where meats could be smoked and stored. This was generally well separated from other buildings both because of the fire danger and because of the smoke emanations; the smoking of food could possibly introduce polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons which may lead to an increased risk of some types of cancer; however, this association is still being debated.[1][2][3][4][5][disputed – discuss]

Smoking can be done in four ways: cold smoking, warm smoking, hot smoking, and through the employment of a smoke flavoring, such as liquid smoke.[6] However, these methods of imparting smoke only affect the food surface, and are unable to preserve food, thus, smoking is paired with other microbial hurdles, such as chilling and packaging, to extend food shelf-life.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_(cooking)
  • Options
    Founders Club
    They're called smokers when smoking a brisket, etc. Take this cultural appropriating smoked salmon to the 'Wam.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fried Turkey

They're called smokers when smoking a brisket, etc. Take this cultural appropriating smoked salmon to the 'Wam.

They were "smoking" hams in Virginia in a smoke house a hundred years before they started barbequing briskets in Texas. They even have a separate Wikipedia page on barbecue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,248
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    BBQ turkey, marinated overnight in tequila. My wife pulled this off several years ago when we were in San Jose del Cabo with a bunch of friends over thanksgiving…as goofy as it sounds, it was fabulous…
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Nah it doesn't come out anything like smoked meats you mentioned. It gets a paper thin crust with minimal smokie flavor, and the rest is just perfectly tender, melt in your mouth turkey. It's amazing.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Because the word Barbecue has become so bastardized, both in noun or verb form (It is NOT a cookout and it is NOT what you do to grill hamburgers), I use Smoke to make it clear of the action I am taking to cook my meat.

Poultry may not capture as much smoke flavor as pork and beef when Barbecuing/smoking but it’s still the best way because of how juicy it comes out and the flavor of the gravy.

Deep frying is second for Turkey.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2022
    Fried Turkey
    whlinder said:

Because the word Barbecue has become so bastardized, both in noun or verb form (It is NOT a cookout and it is NOT what you do to grill hamburgers), I use Smoke to make it clear of the action I am taking to cook my meat.

Poultry may not capture as much smoke flavor as pork and beef when Barbecuing/smoking but it’s still the best way because of how juicy it comes out and the flavor of the gravy.

It's just a shame how bastardized the words have become. Drives me nuts when people say they are "smoking" some ribs. It's not smoking. It's BBQ. Just as you don't BBQ steaks, brats, burgers, etc.

I had an uncle who used to do a nice in-direct heat smoked barbeque turkey on a Weber.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,090
    As has been stated already, you smoke it.

Fuck off row Peter puffer
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

whlinder said:

It's just a shame how bastardized the words have become. Drives me nuts when people say they are "smoking" some ribs. It's not smoking. It's BBQ. Just as you don't BBQ steaks, brats, burgers, etc.

I had an uncle who used to do a nice in-direct heat smoked barbeque turkey on a Weber.
    I see the issue here.

They slow roast it in their smoker. Whatever that is called is what I like.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Might need to settle this with a smoker poll for all you polesmokers.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,248

Might need to settle this with a smoker poll for all you polesmokers.

ISAFN George Brett / Nancy Reagan CRAP…