Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Whenever I see videos of other team's stadiums and fans

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Canadawg said:

You don't need to be a musical connoisseur like @YellowSnow to get the crowd having fun and engaged with the culture. I'm sure the AD can find some fun local music to play that gets the crowd into it. I don't really get slamming the Ducks doing it because people are constantly complaining that husky stadium doesn't have that engagement

Not slamming the ducks. They have their gay thing. Point is we have nothing. Gay or otherwise. What we have is people driving boats and fancy coffee culture not showing up until late in the 1st quarter and a 61% empty stadium at kick off.
    Seattle in general seems to have a bit of an identity(or lack of identity) crisis from the last two decades of change.

Without getting too tuggy the days of the TUFF logging camp are long gone, even the grunge days are way past. Seattle is now a couple of shallow stereotypes about throwing fish and coffee shops populated by a lot of transplants. Reminds me kind of San Diego in its lack of authentic character bc of the influx of out of towners.
    I might add that it seems like a lotta of the type of bros that used to go to UW in the 80s and 90s are Kewgs material these days in terms of academics but I'll let @creepycoug weigh in.
    @derekjohnsonbooks@hotmail.com

Fudgie true???
    Lol. Fudgie's [academisly prowess] elite.
  • Options

Canadawg said:

You don't need to be a musical connoisseur like @YellowSnow to get the crowd having fun and engaged with the culture. I'm sure the AD can find some fun local music to play that gets the crowd into it. I don't really get slamming the Ducks doing it because people are constantly complaining that husky stadium doesn't have that engagement

Not slamming the ducks. They have their gay thing. Point is we have nothing. Gay or otherwise. What we have is people driving boats and fancy coffee culture not showing up until late in the 1st quarter and a 61% empty stadium at kick off.
    Seattle in general seems to have a bit of an identity(or lack of identity) crisis from the last two decades of change.

Without getting too tuggy the days of the TUFF logging camp are long gone, even the grunge days are way past. Seattle is now a couple of shallow stereotypes about throwing fish and coffee shops populated by a lot of transplants. Reminds me kind of San Diego in its lack of authentic character bc of the influx of out of towners.
    That and UW being so hard to get into nowadays. The instate bro types can’t get in. The sons of those loggers aren’t getting in. there are an outlier or two, but academis and big time football don’t seem to go together.

A shitty AD, a large stretch of shitty football, late kick offs, etc. It has all contributed.
    So on the “Hamilton to 520 traffic scale” of reasons why UW fans can’t be in their seats at kick off, where does lack of bros due UW being to hard to get into rank?
    UW has plenty of bros. Not in short supply.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,181
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

That and UW being so hard to get into nowadays. The instate bro types can’t get in. The sons of those loggers aren’t getting in. there are an outlier or two, but academis and big time football don’t seem to go together.

A shitty AD, a large stretch of shitty football, late kick offs, etc. It has all contributed.
    So on the “Hamilton to 520 traffic scale” of reasons why UW fans can’t be in their seats at kick off, where does lack of bros due UW being to hard to get into rank?
    UW has plenty of bros. Not in short supply.
    Not like the 80s and 90s bro.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Canadawg said:

The academis prowess part has little to do with it IMO. Kids at high level schools go to games and lose their shit everywhere. Michigan and Wisky have no problem filling their stadiums, with the former being a clearly harder admit than UW, and Wisky is probably at or above the same level for admissions and is usually ranked higher. Texas is another that comes to mind. Florida now outranks UW and is also harder to get into. Look at Yella's US News list. Georgia is very solid public and is not a walk-in admit either and they lose their shit at games. SC is significantly harder to get into and outranks UW now and they don't seem to be any different from a football support standpoint. And ND games are always full and that fan base is crazy.

I generally think the academis prowess argument, insofar as it really having a negative effect on how football is supported, is more a thing at universities whose entire identity and culture is based on academis prowess AND that hackneyed fake "we don't care about sports" is internalized. Cal is the prime example. Vanderbilt ... maybe Northwestern. Fuck even Duke and Stanford care about sports.

And, of course, everybody's football players are equally dumb, so we're all TBS the same human beings.

I think it's a Seattle problem. Tech guys other than @haie generally prefer scarves and screaming "Goooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!" because it goes with listening to Cold Play and being progressive.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,107
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Canadawg said:

I might add that it seems like a lotta of the type of bros that used to go to UW in the 80s and 90s are Kewgs material these days in terms of academics but I'll let @creepycoug weigh in.
    People forget the bros of the 80's and 90's are from the Baby Buster generation. Pretty much if you could breathe, you were getting into whatever school you wanted. It was a supply/demand thing. Schools needed to keep enrollment up to pay the bills. Also about the time colleges started venturing out to high schools and setting up tables in the front hall promoting their school.

Yup. The college fair thing was interesting. One guy almost hooked me into Gonzaga.
    Gonzaga in the 80’s was the fallback school when the fallback school of the fallback school of the fallback school didn’t work out.

It was on par with a decent community college.

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,397
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2022

Canadawg said:

The academis prowess part has little to do with it IMO. Kids at high level schools go to games and lose their shit everywhere. Michigan and Wisky have no problem filling their stadiums, with the former being a clearly harder admit than UW, and Wisky is probably at or above the same level for admissions and is usually ranked higher. Texas is another that comes to mind. Florida now outranks UW and is also harder to get into. Look at Yella's US News list. Georgia is very solid public and is not a walk-in admit either and they lose their shit at games. SC is significantly harder to get into and outranks UW now and they don't seem to be any different from a football support standpoint. And ND games are always full and that fan base is crazy.

I generally think the academis prowess argument, insofar as it really having a negative effect on how football is supported, is more a thing at universities whose entire identity and culture is based on academis prowess AND that hackneyed fake "we don't care about sports" is internalized. Cal is the prime example. Vanderbilt ... maybe Northwestern. Fuck even Duke and Stanford care about sports.

And, of course, everybody's football players are equally dumb, so we're all TBS the same human beings.

I think it's a Seattle problem. Tech guys other than @haie generally prefer scarves and screaming "Goooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!" because it goes with listening to Cold Play and being progressive.

SC has legions of followers(who never went to college) from the days that LA had no pro ball and the trooj was fighting for ships.

The TUFF south central guys are the new TUFF loggers.

Was on a jobsite this week with a bunch of TUFF pipeliners talking SC ball. I'm the only one who has stepped foot on the academis campus.

#fighton
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,668
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

It's definitely a Seattle culture problem.

Getting out of that overtime Cal game last year and you're trying to find a fucking bar to go celebrate at. JFC.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,104
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

89ute said:

I think 70,000 is too many to fill these days for any West Coast Football program in 2022 except for the rivalry games or big out of conference games. The factors that made Husky Stadium an easy sell out in the 90s are long, long gone and they ain't coming back.

Autzen looks good on the TV because it's 54,000. Same thing with the @89ute and the MUSS at like 45,000.

Point still valid.
    Well, back when I living there it was 45,000. I think you guysm added a few.
    51,444 (2021–present)
    45,807 (2014–2020)
    45,017 (2003–2013)
    45,634 (1998–2002)
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

People forget the bros of the 80's and 90's are from the Baby Buster generation. Pretty much if you could breathe, you were getting into whatever school you wanted. It was a supply/demand thing. Schools needed to keep enrollment up to pay the bills. Also about the time colleges started venturing out to high schools and setting up tables in the front hall promoting their school.

That's a good poont. During the baby bust of the early 70's through the early 80s we were well below replacement (i.e., 2.1 kids per female). My dad and mom did their part to keep the country going though and had 3 kids.

Maybe UW will get easier in 18 years after the current baby bust.
    Seems like the SEC didn’t have a baby bust. Packed stands to start the game.
    Post baby bust and return to higher fertility rates, the SEC school were still easy for cousin fucker, frat boys to get into.

Remember @SECDAWG ?
    I’m going to need a citation on that as the cause of empty UW seats at kickoff.
    It's a hypothesis that many have put forward here. I don't know if it's provable or not.

Seems to make sense to me.
    Take it to the tug
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

SC has legions of followers(who never went to college) from the days that LA had no pro ball and the trooj was fighting for ships.

Was on a jobsite this week with a bunch of TUFF pipeliners talking SC ball. I'm the only one who has stepped foot on the academis campus.

#fighton
    Did you make a deal with Union Oil to get your Kern field play out to the sea ? That’s where the real money is.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

That's a good poont. During the baby bust of the early 70's through the early 80s we were well below replacement (i.e., 2.1 kids per female). My dad and mom did their part to keep the country going though and had 3 kids.

Maybe UW will get easier in 18 years after the current baby bust.
    Seems like the SEC didn’t have a baby bust. Packed stands to start the game.
    Post baby bust and return to higher fertility rates, the SEC school were still easy for cousin fucker, frat boys to get into.

Remember @SECDAWG ?
    I’m going to need a citation on that as the cause of empty UW seats at kickoff.
    It's a hypothesis that many have put forward here. I don't know if it's provable or not.

Seems to make sense to me.
    Take it to the tug
    Yuck.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I knew the would be a good thread. But I didn't expect a 3 pager so soon.

Another DaMoan homerun.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,085
    Swaye's Wigwam

Another DaMoan homerun.

@MikeSeaver
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Another DaMoan homerun.

@MikeSeaver
    Four pages soon
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,142
    Founders Club
    AlexMercier_HuskyNation.mp3 cannot be found on the webz, but it needs to make a comeback
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    If we’re ripping on Coldplay I’m out!
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,397
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

#fighton
    Did you make a deal with Union Oil to get your Kern field play out to the sea ? That’s where the real money is.
    Doing work on an old standard oil line from Huntington Beach to the refineries from back when HB was oilers TUFF.

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,409
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

#fighton
    Doing work on an old standard oil line from Huntington Beach to the refineries from back when HB was oilers TUFF.

FREE PUB!!