Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Is DeBoer a More PC Version of Sark?

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
The question that has been going through my head since the ASU loss is are we starting to see signs that KDB is more smoke and mirrors than we thought? And if so, how is KDB that different from what we saw during the Sark years ... particularly the first 3 years with the Nick Holt defensive years.

When I look back at the Sark years (including what Sark has done since then) what I continuously come back to is an offense that looks good but seemingly falls apart in key instances (notably in the red zone) with a team as a whole that finds ways to make losing plays instead of winning ones.

We're now halfway through Year 1 of KDB and the narrative surrounding him is that he's an offensive genius ... that logic seemingly is unchallenged by the masses. We're seeing signs of defense that is becoming increasingly worrisome (it really started in the 2nd half against Michigan St but it was easy to sweep that aside as it being garbage time) ... the parallels back to the early Sark years are becoming a bit eerie in that regards.

I wanted to test whether or not KDB is the offensive genius that we're all hearing about ... particularly as the Doogs are getting louder and louder about who wouldn't want to come play in this offense. So this week I've updated the total and rate metrics that I track with a specific emphasis on stripping out the G5 and FCS games that have a tendency to skew results.

How is the UW offense stacking up this season at the halfway point (all P5 Games (Conf Rank) / P12 Games (Conf Rank) with Conference Leader / Last Year's P12 Numbers below each entry:

Rushing Offense: 3.82 (8), Oregon 6.42 / 4.18 (8), Oregon 7.59
2021: 3.18 (11), Utah 1st at 5.79

Yards per Pass Attempt: 7.64 (6), UCLA 10.35 / 6.99 (11), UCLA 10.35
2021: 6.32 (11), Utah 1st at 8.03

Yards per Completion: 12.17 (8), UCLA 13.75 / 10.99 (11), UCLA 13.75
2021: 10.43 (11), Oregon St 1st at 12.90

Yards per Offensive Play: 6.08 (7), UCLA 7.73 / 5.90 (8), Oregon 7.89
2021: 4.78 (11); Utah 1st at 6.67

Points per Game: 37.3 (2), UCLA 42.3 / 36.7 (3), Oregon 46.0
2021: 21.0 (9), Utah 1st at 37.2

What are the key takeaways here:
  • UW is definitely more efficient running the ball this year (still not even above average at it though; particularly when considering the relative lack of sacks impacting) and definitely in the passing game through an uptick in completion percentage (60% to 63% so far this year)
  • Explosiveness is perhaps not as pronounced as we'd like to believe given relative ranks in 2021 and so far in 2022; UW's ability to take advantage of Michigan St's secondary is stark in the numbers; conference opponents are clearly adjusting as more film of DeBoer with Washington comes available
  • Yards per play is really seeing an increase more due to a change in approach moving from more of a balanced 50/50 offense to a much more pronounced passing lean (60% passing so far)
  • Numbers are up across the board so far this year in the conference which muddies the true impact of how much of the upticks that we're seeing under KDB are driven by him versus driven by trends within the conference
  • Despite some conflicting rate numbers, end result is that the team is scoring at a consistently high level and that's a testament to their ability to execute consistently which KDB deserves credit for (it's about as anti-Sark as you can get)
Defensively everything is a disaster except for the run defense which is checking in at 3.44 yards per carry (2nd in the conference) against Power 5 opponents and 3.98 yards per carry (3rd in the conference) against P12 opponents. If you said that we'd be there in the run game at the halfway point I would expect most to take it. It's the pass defense that is horrendous. We're giving up completions at an over 70% rate ... you simply can't win games allowing teams to pass all over you at will. If you want a really worrisome trait it is that P12 offenses haven't adjusted yet and are still calling plays with a heavy run emphasis. For as efficient as the offense is the defense is terribly inefficient.

I think it's definitely prudent to say that every coach should be allowed time to come in and put his stamp on the program to the extent that they earn the trust to do so.

With Sark, you saw enough recruiting coming into the program that there was reason to believe that things could change with the right tweaks. Hiring Wilcox actually turned around the defense prior to the offense then underperforming. But big picture, there was definitely a lot of talent that remained on the roster that eventually Pete was able to help turn the corner early in his tenure.

With KDB, I think the big worry that you have to have is where is recruiting going? With the updated 247 rankings coming out today, UW's current class ranks at 27. The high end of the class speaks ok with 4 4-stars with 2 top 300 players. But when you look under the hood there are some concerns because when you drop the threshold to top 500 players it's only 6 of the 19 players in the class at this point. 7 of the 19 players are not ranked within the top 1000 players ... those are developmental prospects that typically have decent sized miss rates (James Atoe anybody?). If we fast forward to the 2 verbals currently in the 2024 class, both are ranked outside the top 500.

Why does the above matter? If your goal is to improve (which particularly on the defensive side of the ball it's not there), then you have to level up your talent. If you aren't leveling up your talent through HS recruiting then the only other paths available is to develop those on your rosters at a high rate and/or leverage the transfer portal. Big picture, I think we'll find that leveraging the portal is a losing strategy for a place like Washington because they will not be getting the difference makers that enter the portal. What they'll be getting are guys like Cam Bright that are solid players but not really difference makers. The transfers like Penix (who is a unique case) is the exception to the rule.

It's probably too early to say that coaches need to be fired. But it's also not too early to highlight that there are talent gaps on the roster and it is on the coaches to figure out how to upgrade that talent. What we're seeing in recruiting likely isn't good enough (at least in the short term). I firmly believe that you have about 12 months from the time you take a job to sell your vision without having too much emphasis put on your results at your new school. At some point though that honeymoon ends and you start to become your record and that hangs with you (good or bad) with your future recruiting. There are some AD/Upper Campus limitations on recruiting (that they are quick to say aren't there but we all know there is) ... but it's probably not holding back KDB as much as it would others.

These next 6 games for KDB are pretty critical in highlighting what type of coach he can be here. There are 3 fairly winnable games (Arizona, Cal, and Colorado) ... get those 3 only and you get yourself to 7-win Sark territory. Get 1 or more of the Oregon St, Oregon, or Washington St group and you hit the 8+ range that shows that there's some momentum to go into the offseason with. Drop a game you shouldn't and get nothing at or above your weight class and you're looking at 6 wins (or less) and all of the shine vanishes quickly.

How quickly the narratives can change ...

Comments

• TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,819 Swaye's Wigwam
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,486 Standard Supporter
    DeBoor is Leech without the eyepatch.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,344 Swaye's Wigwam
    No

These last 2 games are baffling. This isn’t strictly “our guys suck” issue. This is scheme and a complete lack of defensive understanding. This should have shown up in earlier games but everything looked fine from that perspective

Are they studying film…..at all? I hope not because it sure doesn’t look like they are.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    haie said:

Deboer's not Sark.

Sark got absolutely plungered in Tempe from the first snap.

Sark lost 24-17 at ASU in 2009

Sark very likely started with a worse overall talent base than KDB

The parallels are offensive hype out of control (the fawning isn't backed up by the stats at this point) and some hideous defense

It's way too early to say that KDB is Sark so don't twist ...

But there are some leading indicators out there that I'd suggest are worth monitoring ... particularly as we finish out this year
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,819 Swaye's Wigwam
    Funny thing about that 2009 game, ASU went 4-2 with the win over UW.

And finished 4-8.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,523 Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

Funny thing about that 2009 game, ASU went 4-2 with the win over UW.

And finished 4-8.

No one gives a fuck.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,363
    Fuck the fuck off Tequila, in regards to the Sark comparisons
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,523 Swaye's Wigwam
    dannarc said:

Tequilla: go play golf, check social media, get owned, go post some drunk retarded bullshit. Go make power point slides. Rinse lather repeat.

Not a bad life actually.
    dannarc said:

Can't wait to see people here bitching about 7-win DeBoer

Too long but I read it

Take out the Sark reference which distracted from the point and there are good points

The Sark stuff is a lot of shock jock behind it

From a person standpoint there is no comparison

Football wise … LIPO
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,363
    Tequilla said:

dannarc said:

Can't wait to see people here bitching about 7-win DeBoer
    Your headline " is KDB a more PC version of Sark?" Well? Whats that supposed to mean? KDB has been pretty honest with the assessment of play. As a head coach you may know and think it, but you can't come out and start tearing ass halfway into a season, he needs to remain calm and calculated and that's the difference between him and Jimmy(St. Ruperakes day miracle). How KDB will be judged is how he responds to the defense issue, unfortunately he doesn't have many bullets in the gun, and as you alluded to, recruiting isn't exactly on fire, so he's in a tough position to win with Jimmys rejects and some portal dudes. If he finishes strong, recruiting will bounce, if not, it will remain mediocre. Dudes in a tough position. He knows how to run a offense and he doesn't have shit innthe secondary to compete right now
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,344 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2022

HuskyJW said:

No

These last 2 games are baffling. This isn’t strictly “our guys suck” issue. This is scheme and a complete lack of defensive understanding. This should have shown up in earlier games but everything looked fine from that perspective

Are they studying film…..at all? I hope not because it sure doesn’t look like they are.

The defense had fundamental issues going back to week 1 if you watched. Poor tackling, shitty angles, out of position, etc.

We just played shitty teams. Hth.

Some of us noticed and said it would cost games if it wasn't cleaned up.
    Not one person on here said that there was a lack of defensive understanding and a total schematic issue

If there was, I’d love to see a link to the posts saying that

We all noticed fundamental issues. That wasn’t once discussed in my original post.