Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Video analysis: UW's 3rd down production on offense in 2017

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
A claim yesterday by one of the P12 Network announcers that UW boasted one of the best 3rd down offenses in the country rang hallow for me. So I pulled the tape of all non-garbage time 3rd down plays for the offense (+ 4th down attempts and 2-pt conversions). I also excluded Montana because shame on us for scheduling a subdivision team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLe1T7rHCNM

Have a look and kickstart your memory. Yikes. This needs to be the biggest area of improvement in 2018. Edit: some of the sound encoding is fucked up, twas' done on my phone. Oh well.

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    First clip is all I needed to watch.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    There's some good ... some bad ... lots of ugly
  • Options
    uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Nice job. How do you edit tapes on your phone?
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    Great stuff @Gladstone. Would like to see the D stats on 3rd+ downs some other time..

Browning is who we thought he was until proven otherwise.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,116
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    In case anyone wasn’t depressed enough that the weekend is over
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

God bless you. Fuck Doogs who support Brownsocks.

Thank allah that this is his last year
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Good chit, StoneyBoat.
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    After turnovers, I believe 3rd and 4th down efficiency are the most telling statistics in football.

The Stanford game last year was absolutely abortive in terms of 3rd and 4th down efficiency.

If you aren't good converting 3rd and 4th downs, you have to make up for it with a higher number of big plays...and with the graduation of John Ross - our number of big plays took a fucking nosedive from 2016 to 2017.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    I appreciate your efforts, but I refuse to watch clips like this in the off-season.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    @GrundleStiltzkin you fuckbag, we need some choice GIFs out of this. @Gladstone what we really need in a 10 minute montage of Jake just running around like a moron in the backfield.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

After turnovers, I believe 3rd and 4th down efficiency are the most telling statistics in football.

The Stanford game last year was absolutely abortive in terms of 3rd and 4th down efficiency.

If you aren't good converting 3rd and 4th downs, you have to make up for it with a higher number of big plays...and with the graduation of John Ross - our number of big plays took a fucking nosedive from 2016 to 2017.

Stanford gayme died on the failure to get the 4th down conversion.
  • Options

@GrundleStiltzkin you fuckbag, we need some choice GIFs out of this. @Gladstone what we really need in a 10 minute montage of Jake just running around like a moron in the backfield.

Jakes new spin move in to the arms of defenders please. Fucking babushka should be castrated for teaching him this shit
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Fucking babushka should be castrated
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    This brought on a crippling depression I hadn’t felt since 2017 ended.

Except for that first clip. That shit makes me feel ridiculously happy every time I see it. It’s impossible not to smile.

Then it’s 31:57 of just pure sadness.

Thanks Gladstone.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Stanford gayme died on the failure to get the 4th down conversion.
    How many remember that UW led that game 14-10 at half?
  • Options
    How do you edit on phone?
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited April 2018

3rd and 4th down efficiency are among the most misunderstood statistics in football.

UW was 16th in the nation in 3rd down conversion percentage in 2017. This DOES NOT mean UW and Browning had some kind of special sauce allowing them to magically convert 3rd and 6 more often than anyone else.

No, instead it means UW was likely facing much shorter distances on 3rd down as a result of:
    1. Running the ball successfully on 1st and 2nd down.
    2. Lack of explosive plays.

This is why you always see the service academies, Georgia Tech, and Georgia Southern leading the nation in 3rd down conversion % even when their option offenses aren't working particularly well.