Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Video analysis: UW's 3rd down production on offense in 2017

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2018
    Gladstone said:

Locker was a shit QB with a brain of straw, but he wasn't a pussy./

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9BeXX6norw

Pretty sure Browning would have literally died if that happened to him.

Agreed.

He also both had the athleticism to run and knew how to keep his feet unlike Jake 2.0.

Polar opposite of Browning.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

I honestly don’t care about completion percentage ... that’d improve strictly with better coaching and talent around him.

Locker was at worst a gamer in critical situations ... a polar opposite of Browning

Your disdain of Locker clouds your judgement here

Locker in ‘16 with this team gives us a lot least a puncher’s chance against Bama

Locker in ‘17 wins the P12 rather easily

I don't have disdain for Locker. I love the kid. I'm probably the most pro Locker/Jesus guy on this bored. But he was never a good QB. He was wildly inaccurate. He didn't make good decisions.

Forget winning the national title, Locker would have never started a game for Petersen save maybe in 2014. Pete values two things in QB's above all else - accuracy and ability to grasp the offense. Locker would have failed at both.

IR, YK.
    Please give me some examples of really bad decisions he made
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Here's the thing about Seattle sports that I will never understand... until Jake makes LITERALLY NO GOOD THROWS on a third down, Doogs will support him. He would have to throw all interceptions for two games.

There's something about SEA sports fans' brains that says 'until someone can do nothing right, ever, they are 'FINE' and worth defending.

When Ty went 4-9 in '07 - it was 'HE WON FOUR GAMES!!' - I see the same shit with Jake, 'BUT WHAT ABOUT THE UTAH GAME!!?!! BUT WHAT ABOUT THE THROW TO AARON FULLER!!!?!?!'

Trace McSorley made more great throws in the FIRST HALF against our defense than Jake did in THE SEASON. Making like 5 good throws on third down per year doesn't make you an acceptable QB, it makes you a complete fucking disaster. Troy Williams made 3-4 good throws against us at Utah on 3rd downs.

SO FUCKING WHAT?!?!

If Jake were any good (spoiler: he's not) he would make 3-5 throws like that Aaron Fuller throw PER GAME. Not PER SEASON.

Our standards as fans are so fucking low that we can watch someone cock our season up and think 'well, he did things right 20% of the time!!' - Jesus fucking Christ we love losers.

The town is haunted by the '94 Sonics. Great when it doesn't count, falls apart when it does. Nobody gives a shit. 116 wins.

TRACE MCSORLEY MADE MORE GOOD THIRD DOWN THROWS IN THE FUCKING FIRST HALF THAN JAKE DID IN A SEASON!!!

Maybe that should alarm people.

Here are Jake's sack numbers from '17:

1st down: 3 in 147 attempts (2%)
    2nd down: 2 in 111 attempts (2%)
    3rd down: FUCKING FOURTEEN in SEVENTY FOUR ATTEMPTS (19%!!!)

Let's look at his running numbers:

1st down: 15 att, 39 yards
    2nd down: 11 att, 23 yards
    3rd down: 27 attempts for fucking NEGATIVE 73 YARDS!

In addition, when we are losing in games, Jake's numbers are like this:

60.5% completion percentage (as opposed to 72.5% when we are tied/winning)
    12 sacks in 114 attempts- 11% (as opposed to 7 in 222 attempts - 3%)
    24 for -60 rushing (as opposed to 32 for 85)

Jake is a fucking loser.

This needs to be on every page of this thread.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

I honestly don’t care about completion percentage ... that’d improve strictly with better coaching and talent around him.

Locker was at worst a gamer in critical situations ... a polar opposite of Browning

Locker in ‘16 with this team gives us a lot least a puncher’s chance against Bama

I don't have disdain for Locker. I love the kid. I'm probably the most pro Locker/Jesus guy on this bored. But he was never a good QB. He was wildly inaccurate. He didn't make good decisions.

Forget winning the national title, Locker would have never started a game for Petersen save maybe in 2014. Pete values two things in QB's above all else - accuracy and ability to grasp the offense. Locker would have failed at both.

IR, YK.
    I'll go. The entire Holiday Bowl against Nebraska lol
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,099
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Next year’s O will miss having Dante’s 7 point punt return bump every other game.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

I bought that Jersey.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

IR, YK.
    Committing to play football for Ty Willingham.
    Throwing a block against Stanford.
    Walking away from $40 something million by not going pro after his junior year.

In all seriousness I don't remember a ton of specific things, it's been damn near a decade since he was here. I do remember thinking he was a shit decision maker early in his career and never having that opinion changed. And I specifically recall being amazed how good our receivers not named Jermaine Kearse were once Price took over since Locker seemed to always lock onto Kearse and only Kearse.

The jump our passing game took in 2011 with Price under center is all anyone needs to know. Price wasn't special, but he was far better than Locker.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited April 2018
    Tequilla said:

I know it’s crazy around here to suggest anything positive about Locker but Dennis is right.

Locker got shit coaching as a QB and my guess is the whole OKG thing would have been right up his alley. His physical abilities are head and shoulders above Jake’s. His ability to create with his legs would have created opportunities for the offense against an Alabama that Browning never could dream of.

Even if you want to disagree with the length of what Dennis called out, you are a blinded idiot if you can’t see the difference between Browning and Locker.

Locker and Rapp would easily be the best White/ Asian safety tandem in football history
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

IR, YK.
    Also ran for close to 100 yards and won the game
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

IR, YK.
    Didn't think you'd want to bring wins and losses into this discussion.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

IR, YK.
    In situations where Locker has the opportunity to tie or win the game ... he wasn’t that bad
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

IR, YK.
    Signing with a team coached by Tyrone Willingham
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

Gladstone said:

I bought that Jersey.
    go irish
  • Options
    AIRWOLF said:

Locker could have been a tremendous playmaker at QB in the right system. That system wasn't Sark's offense and it sure isn't Petersen's. He would have been great in a Malzahn, Meyer, or Bill Snyder offense. Assuming that offense also had the OL to go with it and not the Willingham dregs he was playing behind.

Why do you hate Chip Kelly?

I really think that offense would have been perfect. Small playbook. Move fast, play on instincts, make limited number of decisions, huge threat as a runner. Locker at Oregon under Chip may have won a natty. Not under any UW coach ever.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,340
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2018
    I just remember being frustrated as Locker would run into a sack rather than running for a first down when the rush broke through

He was no better than Browning in pocket presence

Locker had a big tool box and no clue how to use them IMO
  • Options

I just remember being frustrated as Locker would run into a sack rather than running for a first down when the rush broke through

He was no better than Browning in pocket presence

Locker had a big tool box and no clue how to use them IMO

BUT HOW WAS LOCKER A BAD DECISION MAKER?!?!?
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

IR, YK.
    In situations where Locker has the opportunity to tie or win the game ... he wasn’t that bad
    He's right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhTjtK2EcWc

T minus 3...2...1 until someone equates that with Browning against Utah.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

IR, YK.
    Agree. He also played badly enough early in a lot of games that he didn't have the shot to tie or win the game late (which he was actually good at).

Again, the polar opposite of Browning.