Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Where Exactly Are We Headed: A Response

Comments

• Options
    ThebourbinatorThebourbinator Member Posts: 664
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

How many times did Kirk or Reece describe a UW player as "undersized."

I like BBK, I like Myles Bryant, sometimes I even like Baccellia.

But when we face off against a team of elite and large athletes like OSU the difference is stark. That #2 DE was ridiculous how fast he could move at 6'5" and 265 lb.

Sure, maybe CP could have schemed better and eked out a win if everything went our way.

But we were outmatched physically and athletically at almost every position on the field.

That is changing with the last two classes.

My husband was busy doodling and looked up at the tv for a minute and was like “the ohio state players just look... bigger.” A casual observer can recognize that immediately, and Pete recognizes that after getting beat up on by blue bloods recently, hence the sudden surge in recruiting those thicc bois. Boneheaded playcalling aside, he knows we? aren’t there yet, and I’m hopeful for Washington 2.0. I’m also very ready for these adidas jerseys and the off-season hype that’s all going to provide.
  • Options
    Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 756
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Fire Paopao and Boner too. And hire more black coaches. Real ones. Not the fake mufuccas.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2019

Obligatory:

God, there's a lot of times when I wish that goofy fuck was still POTUS.

Either that or William Jefferson banging hot chicks like Gina Gershon and Liz Hurley.

• Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dhdawg said:

If you watched that game and think UW would have won if only the coaches had schemed better than you're the doog.

Some of you are really simplistic fucks. If a bunch of sweatpants warriors in their dads' basements are aware that Gaskin and Bryant are UW's best players do ya think Urban Meyer might have been able to figure that out too in his month to prepare?

Again. No one is suggesting this. Of course we need more talent. Look at all the mediocre teams that played Ohio State tough this year. Did they have more talent than us? Fuck no. Ohio State has a god awful defense and we put up 3 points in 3 quarters.

It's a combination of inept offensive coaching that has been a problem since Petersen arrives as well as talent deficiences.
    Many posters were suggesting this was all on the coaches for not preparing and scheming better while completely ignoring the talent and size disparity that I pointed out

A football is a slippery oblong object that bounces funny and two or three of those funny bounces can distort a small sample of 150 plays (a single game.)

But for the most part Ohio State continued to blow its opponents out this year like they do every year.

If we want to match up evenly (not just eke out one lucky win) with an Ohio State or a Clemson we need to keep LEVELING UP our talent. Which we are currently doing!
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739

Good analysis @DoogCourics

I'd say just based on my limited knowledge that at the least, the 16 needs to turn into a 7 or 8 to really get to the playoff contender/legititmate top 5 elite status. Maybe 10 but no lower. Oregon under Kelly was around 10-12 in that metric IIRC. I'm way too lazy to research it.

So can that be done with the recruiting church boy strategy? You almost need some assholes who steal cars or prima donnas

@Fire_Marshall_Bill , another question and another answer.

To address this, I bring forth Clemson under Dabo Sweeney as the example. They have often been cited as a good comparison to UW in regards to history, resources, etc.

Clemson Recruiting:

2009 Recruiting Class - 36th in Country - 6 Four Stars - 7 Three Stars - 89.91 Average Composite - 6 Blue Chip

2010 Recruiting Class - 27th in Country - 6 Four Stars - 15 Three Stars - 85.94 Average Composite - 6 Blue Chip

2011 Recruiting Class - 10th in Country - 3 Five Stars - 6 Four Stars - 20 Three Stars - 87.17 Average Composite - 9 Blue Chip

2012 Recruiting Class - 20th in Country - 10 Four Stars - 10 Three Stars - 89.03 Average Composite - 10 Blue Chip

2013 Recruiting Class - 15th in Country - 1 Five Star - 10 Four Stars - 11 Three Stars - 88.46 Average Composite - 11 Blue Chip

2014 Recruiting Class - 16th in Country - 10 Four Stars - 9 Three Stars - 88.69 Average Composite - 10 Blue Chip

2015 Recruiting Class - 9th in Country - 3 Five Stars - 9 Four Stars - 12 Three Stars - 89.12 Average Composite - 12 Blue Chip

2016 Recruiting Class - 11th in Country - 1 Five Star - 11 Four Stars - 8 Three Stars - 90.30 Average Composite - 12 Blue Chip

2017 Recruiting Class - 16th in Country - 2 Five Stars - 8 Four Stars - 4 Three Stars - 92.10 Average Composite - 10 Blue Chip

2018 Recruiting Class - 7th in Country - 5 Five Stars - 7 Four Stars - 5 Three Stars - 93.45 Average Composite - 12 Blue Chip

2019 Recruiting Class - 5th in Country - 2 Five Stars - 11 Four Stars - 14 Three Stars - 90.40 Average Composite - 13 Blue Chip

As you can see Clemson toiled in the 15th or worse range for the first 6 years before they finally had their big break thru in 2015. During that time their average player was less than 89 on the composite rating. But they continued to stack double digit Blue Chip recruits each year which got them to above 50% Blue Chip Ratio. As soon as that class in year 7 popped, they made the Playoffs the following 4 years. Even then, only a couple of those classes were top 10 in the country. But the amount of Blue Chips and the quality of the average player (above 90 in the composite) has stayed consistent.

Add in Dabo's coaching and development, and you have a fucking juggernaut.

Washington Recruiting for Comparison:

2015 Recruiting Class - 26th in Country - 5 Four Stars - 18 Three Stars - 85.77 Average Composite - 5 Blue Chip

2016 Recruiting Class - 29th in Country - 7 Four Stars - 10 Three Stars - 87.42 Average Composite - 7 Blue Chip

2017 Recruiting Class - 22nd in Country - 9 Four Stars - 9 Three Stars - 88.45 Average Composite - 9 Blue Chip

2018 Recruiting Class - 16th in Country - 10 Four Stars - 10 Three Stars - 90.21 Average Composite - 10 Blue Chip

2019 Recruiting Class - 16th in Country - 11 Four Stars - 9 Three Stars - 89.74 Average Composite - 11 Blue Chip

Likely an additional 2-3 Blue Chip will be added in this 2019 Class.

The first 5 years under Petersen has followed the same 5 year trend under Swinney in regards to talent acquisition. Yes, Petersen is leveling up the team in regards to pure talent.

The big difference is that after Dabo lost his NY6 Bowl in year 3, he started winning all his bowl games. He had the right staff, right philosophies, and right coaching to use that talent to win.

That's the major failing of Pete to this point.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Houhusky said:

PurpleJ said:

Recruiting won't change the fact that Pete is too retarded to run the fucking ball.

Pete system does not allow for him to beat an elite talent team with good/decent coaching.

UW/Pete has to be able to beat teams that have better “talent” or this is the cap... UW is never going to have more 4 and 5 stars than Clemson, Alabama, Ohio state, UT, Georgia, USC, tamu, Michigan, Norte dame, penn state, or 5-10 other schools with any sort of regularity.

The system is decent at winning games he is supposed to and good at not getting blown out in a loss to teams he is supposed to lose too.

Big games, important games, are won by players transcending the scheme and coaching and putting everyone on their back and dragging the team to victory...

Pete’s culture and scheme is so strict and ridged there is an upward cap that prevents players transcending the game, he can’t win the games he isn’t supposed to win like he could at Boise.

Yah yah, recruiting is important, just wait till 2021! Then the offense will work!
    Houhusky said:

PurpleJ said:

Recruiting won't change the fact that Pete is too retarded to run the fucking ball.

Pete system does not allow for him to beat an elite talent team with good/decent coaching.

UW/Pete has to be able to beat teams that have better “talent” or this is the cap... UW is never going to have more 4 and 5 stars than Clemson, Alabama, Ohio state, UT, Georgia, USC, tamu, Michigan, Norte dame, penn state, or 5-10 other schools with any sort of regularity.

The system is decent at winning games he is supposed to and good at not getting blown out in a loss to teams he is supposed to lose too.

Big games, important games, are won by players transcending the scheme and coaching and putting everyone on their back and dragging the team to victory...

Pete’s culture and scheme is so strict and ridged there is an upward cap that prevents players transcending the game, he can’t win the games he isn’t supposed to win like he could at Boise.

Yah yah, recruiting is important, just wait till 2021! Then the offense will work!
    This is fucking retarded.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795

...But we were outmatched physically and athletically at almost every position on the field.

It’s changing on defense. But defense hasn’t been the problem.

I don’t see a huge offensive talent upgrade on the horizon—other than at QB.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    TTJ said:

...But we were outmatched physically and athletically at almost every position on the field.

It’s changing on defense. But defense hasn’t been the problem.

I don’t see a huge offensive talent upgrade on the horizon—other than at QB.
    I do.

All starts with offensive line. We're leveling up for sure.

Better oline equals better offense.

More points equals more wins.

A leveling up defense ensures teams have a harder time beating us.

It all makes sense.

2021 will be speshul!
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685

Dabo won 10 games 4 straight years before breaking through.

His record:
    9-5
    6-7
    10-4
    11-2
    11-2
    10-3
    14-1
    14-1
    12-2
    14-0 (pending)

They've won bowl/playoff games 8 times while losing 4.

After Dabo's first 10-win season ended in an Orange Bowl loss, they won bowls each of the next three years, then playoff round 1 the following season before losing to Bama.

It took that level up in recruiting for Dabo to finally break through to a true national level. The first two years, he won 15 games.

Here's Pete's records:

8-6
    7-6
    12-2
    10-3
    10-4

In other words, Pete had 15 wins in his first two years (same as Dabo) and then 32 wins in the following three (same as Dabo).
    The only difference? Losing the bowl games (Pete) vs winning them (Dabo).

People forget that UW was down 24-0 to Okie State at halftime before coming back strong in the 2nd half.

The comeback bullshit is a huge Pete bowl game trend.

However, Pete won the same amount of games in his first 5 years (47) as Dabo. I don't believe that is a coincidence as Dabo also had very similar recruiting early at Clumpson.

What this says is Pete needs to break through in recruiting if he wants to match Clemson's breakthrough from 2015 within the next two years.

There is absolutely zero reason UW cannot be a Clemson-level football program within the next three years. Zero. No excuse whatsoever.

I like trends. This warmed my one feeling.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,418
    dhdawg said:

Pete had inferior talent at Boise and it never mattered.

Getting embarrassed 3 straight games is about more than just talent. It's coaching. It's a mentality.

This. This is what doesn't make any fucking sense to me. Petersen won more big games @ Boise St than he has here. Are you telling me Boise St had better talent than we? do? There's no fucking way. Whatever he is doing to prepare the team, the coaches, and himself for these big games is not working. He needs to figure it out yesterday because the trend has already formed.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    digits said:

dhdawg said:

Getting embarrassed 3 straight games is about more than just talent. It's coaching. It's a mentality.

This. This is what doesn't make any fucking sense to me. Petersen won more big games @ Boise St than he has here. Are you telling me Boise St had better talent than we? do? There's no fucking way. Whatever he is doing to prepare the team, the coaches, and himself for these big games is not working. He needs to figure it out yesterday because the trend has already formed.
    It was basically their only game of the year
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,599
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Huge fucking post coming in. Worse than Tequilla, so apologies up front.

But I've been drinking Maker's 46 and if you don't want to read it then just fuck off right away and don't read it. If you're actually interested in the trajectory of this program and are demanding better results, then read on.

@Fire_Marshall_Bill posed the following question in a thread earlier tonight:

We're 10-4. We were 9-4 during Snark's last year....We won an awful league that's half a notch better than the MW. We lost to Cal, a total loser program...

Auburn beat us. We're 7-5 in the SEC W. Maybe 8-4. It's not like I want the guy fired, but where exactly are we headed? You need athletes and speed. Development and coaching are important, but they only take you so far.

Plenty of guys in the game thread and random threads on the Hardcore board mentioned they were done with Pete because he can't win big games. I assume most were anger or alcohol fueled, but the pervasive question among the HH faithful is clear: is this program going to get over the hump under Pete?

2014: 8-6 / Loss in Cactus Bowl to Oklahoma State

2015: 7-6 / Win in Heart of Dallas Bowl over Southern Miss

2016: 12-2 / Pac-12 Champion / Loss in Peach Bowl to Alabama

2017: 10-3 / Loss in Fiesta Bowl to Penn State

2018: 10-4 / Pac-12 Champion / Loss in Rose Bowl to Ohio State

This shit looks like a mixed bag. I see three 10 win seasons in a row, two Pac-12 Championships in three years, and three straight NY6 Bowls that all ended up losses.

It leads back to Bill's question: Where are we headed? Pete can clearly coach and develop, but does UW have the athletes to compete with the Elite of CFB.

That's where this post comes in:

I know that a lot posters do not follow recruiting or barely follow it, so the only base of knowledge is record and bowl results. Without knowledge of the recruiting base and talent acquisition portion of the program (which is just as important as coaching and development), it can be hard for the faithful to know if the program is actually improving over what Sark was doing.

2014: 5 Year Team Talent Composite Not Available Anymore (But it was somewhere in the 30's when I saw it last year)

2015: 5 Year Team Talent Composite - 29th in Country - 0 Five Stars - 15 Four Stars - 56 Three Stars - 10 Two Stars (or less) - 85.09 Average Composite Score

2016: 5 Year Team Talent Composite - 24th in Country - 0 Five Stars - 21 Four Stars - 56 Three Stars - 8 Two Stars (or less) - 85.73 Average Composite Score

2017: 5 Year Team Talent Composite - 24th in Country - 0 Five Stars - 23 Four Stars - 55 Three Stars - 7 Two Stars (or less) - 85.98 Average Composite Score

2018: 5 Year Team Talent Composite - 20th in Country - 1 Five Star - 31 Four Stars - 47 Three Stars - 6 Two Stars (or Less) - 87.25 Average Composite Score

As you can see, the last three years of success has largely been built upon the backs of lesser talent that has been developed and coached up. But suddenly the roster in 2018 took a huge jump up with nearly 10 three stars replaced with 10 Blue Chip players.

Next season has another jump with 6 more Blue Chip players replacing lesser tiered players.

Departures - 5 Four Stars - 11 Three Stars

Additions - 11 Four Stars - 9 Three Stars

2019: 5 Year Team Talent Composite - Rank Not Available - 1 Five Star - 37 Four Stars - 45 Three Stars - Average Composite Score Not Calculated

There is still the chance to add:

1 Five Star Kyle Ford

4 Four Stars Puka Nacua, Daniel Heimuli, Henry To'oto'o, Asa Turner

There is a well known Blue Chip Ratio that Championship level teams all hit, at least 50% of the roster must be Five or Four Star recruits:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/22/17606048/blue-chip-ratio-2018

UW has been a major overachiever trying to play on the level of the big boys, but as you said Bill, you need the athletes and speed to keep up. In the NY6 games, though the scores have been close the talent gap has been large.

If you don't think this is a HUGE FUCKING DEAL you're an idiot.

In 2016 Bama had the #1 5 Year Team Talent Composite, while UW was #24, a gap of 40 fucking Blue Chip recruits. UW lost by 17 points.

In 2017 PSU was #19, while UW was #24. Close, but still a gap of 11 Blue Chip recruits. UW lost by 7 points.

This year tOSU was #1, while UW was #20, a gap of 34 fucking Blue Chip recruits. That's who UW lost to tonight by 5 points.

That gap is finally starting to close. In 2 years 15 three stars have been replaced on the roster by Blue Chip recruits. From 23 to 38 going into next year as it currently stands.

None of this makes up for Pete's offense, Bush's play calling, Browning throwing it 54 fucking times, or Gaskin only getting 25 carries. It also doesn't make up for the defense struggling for the first half of the game. It definitely doesn't make up for the constant fucking slow starts to games. And nothing, nothing, nothing can make up for not recruiting a QB to challenge Browning and letting him start for 4 years (that issue has finally been remedied with nothing but Blue Chip recruits lining the QB room).

That said, this program is headed in the right direction. 10 win seasons in three straight seasons for the first time ever. Pac-12 Championships for the first time in a long time. Going up against the elite of the college football world and realizing UW is on the fucking cusp of joining the group.

It's an exhaustingly slow build, but it is a solid foundation being laid brick by brick. Pete is fucking boring and he's stubborn as fuck, but he's building something sustainable, and the winning on the field is begetting better recruiting classes, which will beget more wins.

Don't believe me? Look at the recruiting classes:

2015 Recruiting Class - 26th in Country - 5 Four Stars - 18 Three Stars - 85.77 Average Composite

2016 Recruiting Class - 29th in Country - 7 Four Stars - 10 Three Stars - 87.42 Average Composite

2017 Recruiting Class - 22nd in Country - 9 Four Stars - 9 Three Stars - 88.45 Average Composite

2018 Recruiting Class - 16th in Country - 10 Four Stars - 10 Three Stars - 90.21 Average Composite

2019 Recruiting Class - 16th in Country - 11 Four Stars - 9 Three Stars - 89.74 Average Composite

(Again, 1 Five and 4 Four Stars still on the table)

Be frustrated with Pete's Offense. Be frustrated with Pete's stubborness. Be frustrated with Pete's coaches like Gregory, PaoPao, Bonerpop, or Lubick. Be frustrated with Hamdan's play calling (but fuck off if you question Lake's calling as he had a better total defense and scoring defense than Kwat has had in the last 4 years in his first year calling plays).

And this isn't being a doog. We all want better, and we all deserve better. But replacing Pete or questioning if he's the right coach isn't better. Demanding him to make changes to his staff is better. Demanding him to change his offensive philosophy is better. Demanding better recruiters at certain positions is better.

But if you're saying Pete isn't the guy for the job, or that you're giving up on him and want him gone, you're a fucking retard and no one can fucking help you.

This post may have some of you thinking of me in a new way:

But you all can fuck yourselves:

Dick Baird, is that you? Bout time you started posting here.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,418

digits said:

dhdawg said:

It was basically their only game of the year
    That doesn't change the fact that he was beating superior teams with inferior talent @ Boise St. in big games. What's especially concerning is his losses @ UW in said games are not just one thing, but it's a combination of several: Poor game/coaching/player preparation (i.e. Slow starts, gameplan, etc.), Beta mentality, and bad clock/game management.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Ddy is the lamest pussy on this site.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

Good analysis @DoogCourics

I'd say just based on my limited knowledge that at the least, the 16 needs to turn into a 7 or 8 to really get to the playoff contender/legititmate top 5 elite status. Maybe 10 but no lower. Oregon under Kelly was around 10-12 in that metric IIRC. I'm way too lazy to research it.

So can that be done with the recruiting church boy strategy? You almost need some assholes who steal cars or prima donnas

@Fire_Marshall_Bill , another question and another answer.

To address this, I bring forth Clemson under Dabo Sweeney as the example. They have often been cited as a good comparison to UW in regards to history, resources, etc.

Clemson Recruiting:

2009 Recruiting Class - 36th in Country - 6 Four Stars - 7 Three Stars - 89.91 Average Composite - 6 Blue Chip

2010 Recruiting Class - 27th in Country - 6 Four Stars - 15 Three Stars - 85.94 Average Composite - 6 Blue Chip

2011 Recruiting Class - 10th in Country - 3 Five Stars - 6 Four Stars - 20 Three Stars - 87.17 Average Composite - 9 Blue Chip

2012 Recruiting Class - 20th in Country - 10 Four Stars - 10 Three Stars - 89.03 Average Composite - 10 Blue Chip

2013 Recruiting Class - 15th in Country - 1 Five Star - 10 Four Stars - 11 Three Stars - 88.46 Average Composite - 11 Blue Chip

2014 Recruiting Class - 16th in Country - 10 Four Stars - 9 Three Stars - 88.69 Average Composite - 10 Blue Chip

2015 Recruiting Class - 9th in Country - 3 Five Stars - 9 Four Stars - 12 Three Stars - 89.12 Average Composite - 12 Blue Chip

2016 Recruiting Class - 11th in Country - 1 Five Star - 11 Four Stars - 8 Three Stars - 90.30 Average Composite - 12 Blue Chip

2017 Recruiting Class - 16th in Country - 2 Five Stars - 8 Four Stars - 4 Three Stars - 92.10 Average Composite - 10 Blue Chip

2018 Recruiting Class - 7th in Country - 5 Five Stars - 7 Four Stars - 5 Three Stars - 93.45 Average Composite - 12 Blue Chip

2019 Recruiting Class - 5th in Country - 2 Five Stars - 11 Four Stars - 14 Three Stars - 90.40 Average Composite - 13 Blue Chip

As you can see Clemson toiled in the 15th or worse range for the first 6 years before they finally had their big break thru in 2015. During that time their average player was less than 89 on the composite rating. But they continued to stack double digit Blue Chip recruits each year which got them to above 50% Blue Chip Ratio. As soon as that class in year 7 popped, they made the Playoffs the following 4 years. Even then, only a couple of those classes were top 10 in the country. But the amount of Blue Chips and the quality of the average player (above 90 in the composite) has stayed consistent.

Add in Dabo's coaching and development, and you have a fucking juggernaut.

Washington Recruiting for Comparison:

2015 Recruiting Class - 26th in Country - 5 Four Stars - 18 Three Stars - 85.77 Average Composite - 5 Blue Chip

2016 Recruiting Class - 29th in Country - 7 Four Stars - 10 Three Stars - 87.42 Average Composite - 7 Blue Chip

2017 Recruiting Class - 22nd in Country - 9 Four Stars - 9 Three Stars - 88.45 Average Composite - 9 Blue Chip

2018 Recruiting Class - 16th in Country - 10 Four Stars - 10 Three Stars - 90.21 Average Composite - 10 Blue Chip

2019 Recruiting Class - 16th in Country - 11 Four Stars - 9 Three Stars - 89.74 Average Composite - 11 Blue Chip

Likely an additional 2-3 Blue Chip will be added in this 2019 Class.

The first 5 years under Petersen has followed the same 5 year trend under Swinney in regards to talent acquisition. Yes, Petersen is leveling up the team in regards to pure talent.

The big difference is that after Dabo lost his NY6 Bowl in year 3, he started winning all his bowl games. He had the right staff, right philosophies, and right coaching to use that talent to win.

That's the major failing of Pete to this point.
    So... good coaching can overcome a pattern upper-mid tier recruiting.

Got it. Thanks.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ZoneUW said:

fuck off. Eason is a pussy and sucks until proven otherwise. Haenal Jackoff and Sermon suck until proven otherwise. Petersen has become a pussy. We don't recruit black people anymore. Asa Akira is going to notre lame.

the season is over and the program is doomed.

2019 ALAMO BOWL RUNNER UP HERE WE COME

@WeakarmZone?