Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Just received email from a former Husky player

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,551 Founders Club
I had asked him if he was happy like I am with the Petersen hire...

"No. This ain't Boise st. Look at the guys he's already bringing in for official visits. All guys he recruited at Boise st."

Comments

• NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    Good point... Save the Ships for next year. Keep the PSA who wants UW, the rest can fuck off. But how do we loose an Idaho recruit?
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,568 Founders Club
    Recruiting always takes a hit when a new coach comes in. This isn't new. Also, it's about the same temperature as early February, but signing day is seven weeks away. :p
  • fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212
    Jeezus ... The players Sark recruited are waiting for a text saying "Sup Brah?" ... Probably the same set of teen boyz ...

Lets let it play out...

It will be interesting to see who we get ... Or maybe it won't be ... In that case it will be interesting to see why it wasn't interesting.

Either way abundance.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    I guess I must be missing something. Why and how is it that Petersen will transform UW's football roster into a bunch of Mountain West 2,3,or no-stars that somehow get drafted to stick in the NFL. Even if he wanted to which I'm certain he doesn't, I think it impossible that Petersen could magically move Broncomania to Husky Stadium. But some doogs around here including at least one former Husky player can't seem to shake their envy or hatred of overachieving BSU football long enough to realize that Petersen came to Montlake for the Purple & Gold without a trace of Blue turf in his cleats.
  • Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,953 Founders Club
    Just hope it is a line heavy bunch to salvage the class.

It is possible to get a stellar recruiting class out of the gate. Pete Carroll did it when he took over. Dumbass Bob Toledo said some stupid shit about defense not mattering as much as offense in his program, so Pete Carroll copied the quote and mailed it out to all of UCLA's defensive commits and elite recruits. Carroll ended up getting most of the So. Cal studs that year except Matt Ware.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    What was he saying when Sark was coaching in the Rose Bowl? I'm not trying to be snippy, I just don't want to hear this shit from people that were all jacked up on free pub.

Petersen is in a tough spot. He's not a recruiting wizz. All the kids he was recruiting were Boise State quality. The last coach had pretty clearly checked out of recruiting for this season.

Let him get guys he likes in for this class. It wasn't going to be great even if Sark stayed. If recruiting doesn't get better next year there's reason to be concerned.

This is such typical Seattle loser crying. Sark and Ty get tons of free passes but winners like Carroll and Petersen get shit on.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,824 Swaye's Wigwam

It is possible to get a stellar recruiting class out of the gate. Pete Carroll did it when he took over. Dumbass Bob Toledo said some stupid shit about defense not mattering as much as offense in his program, so Pete Carroll copied the quote and mailed it out to all of UCLA's defensive commits and elite recruits. Carroll ended up getting most of the So. Cal studs that year except Matt Ware.

Yes. We should do this for all of WSU's defensive recruits. Immediately.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

Couple of points:

UCLA and USC are in the same city.

Bob Toledo was an idiot.

Recruiting to SC is a lil different than recruiting to Washington ... when you consider "stellar players"

Again ...

Would you rather have Coach Pete going on a well deserved 2 week golf vacation ...

Or would you rather he show up after his bowl game?
  • 90sHuskyFan90sHuskyFan Member Posts: 215
    For now, I'll give Coach Pete the benefit of the doubt and gladly take Petersen's overachieving OKG types over some of the AAM (all-about-me) types that Sark catered to. Ultimately, if he doesn't win games (which college coaches are paid to do) then I guess we'll start looking for another coach all over again.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    Sure is warm out for February.

Sure is warm out for February.

Al Queda disagrees

Snow Falls In Cairo For The First Time In More Than 100 Years
    I was just shooting down the "recruiting always takes a hit when a new coach comes in" canard. I can cite other examples.

That said, I do not expect Coach Petersen to "win the off season." I don't think he gives a shit where F3 and company rank players. He is just going to go out and try to land the best folks he thinks he can develop and win with. Last I checked he was putting players into the NFL at a bigger clip than Montlake has of late. But I also remember the smaller, slower, weaker team that he brought into Husky Stadium in September. Hopefully the Washington/P12 brand will open a few more doors of guys falling through the cracks in the next month and a half for Petersen. Fans expecting big ***** are going to be disappointed. Fans like me who don't follow recruiting anymore won't know shit about this class for a few years.

I was just shooting down the "recruiting always takes a hit when a new coach comes in" canard. I can cite other examples.

That said, I do not expect Coach Petersen to "win the off season." I don't think he gives a shit where F3 and company rank players. He is just going to go out and try to land the best folks he thinks he can develop and win with. Last I checked he was putting players into the NFL at a bigger clip than Montlake has of late. But I also remember the smaller, slower, weaker team that he brought into Husky Stadium in September. Hopefully the Washington/P12 brand will open a few more doors of guys falling through the cracks in the next month and a half for Petersen. Fans expecting big ***** are going to be disappointed. Fans like me who don't follow recruiting anymore won't know shit about this class for a few years.

You "shot down" an argument using one example ... from SC ...

You must be new here.
  • mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
    DJ couldn't recruit when he first arrived either.

Seemed to have worked out OK.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Sheet, all hope is lost. I give up
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,586 Swaye's Wigwam
    Anyone know if he has reached out/been talking to guys that were on the fence about us? If he can get even a few of those guys combined with his BSU guys I'd be happy for this year.
    topdawgnc said:

You "shot down" an argument using one example ... from SC ...

You must be new here.

I am new here.

As I said before, I can cite other examples.

Nick Saban at LSU. First thing he did was build a fence around the state of Louisiana.
    Dennis Erickson at Oregon State. Landed elite JUCOs who went on to the NFL.

Nick Saban was not a national championship winning coach when he came over from Michigan State. One of the first things he did was get Marquise Hill to commit to LSU over Michigan. Erickson did have a national brand when he took over for Riley at OSU, but so does Chris Petersen.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    Sorry, but I think the former player has a point. I don't completely drink the kool-aid from any coach until he has proven himself at UW (not at boise), including in recruiting. This class is going to suck, and it's not his fault. Any time there is a transition recruiting suffers, but let's see how he salvages this class. Frankly I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude on how petersen performs as a recruiter at UW.

I'm excited about petersen for a number of reasons, but recruiting is one area that has me concerned.

Some people here may not worry about having crappy recruiting classes, but believe it or not bringing in good players matters.