Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PM to OBK

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

I hate Bezos. When the stores are all gone and the workers lose their jerbs, how are they going to be able to buy shit on Amazon. A temporary convenience in exchange for a long term takeover of the economy, and control of your life. That piece of shit wants to control everything and sell everything until there is only one merchant left. Fuck that fucker.

Uhh maybe someone should actually try being competitive with them

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,872
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I hate Bezos. When the stores are all gone and the workers lose their jerbs, how are they going to be able to buy shit on Amazon. A temporary convenience in exchange for a long term takeover of the economy, and control of your life. That piece of shit wants to control everything and sell everything until there is only one merchant left. Fuck that fucker.

What'll happen to poor ol' Mags Bennett and her general store once her customers start doing mail order from the Sears n' Robucks or worse still driving into the local Woolworth's?

Mags moved, changed her alias and runs a bail bonds shop now.

Bezos turned even Mags.

• Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited March 2018
    Amazon is different. Sears never got into the grocery business. Or the shipping business. Or every single facet of what can possibly be bought and sold. You wouldn't recognize a monopoly if it stripped naked in front of you. You want your fucking groceries delivered to your doorstep because you're too fat and lazy to go to the store and never want to leave your room, ok. Just recognize the tradeoffs. Every advance that Amazon makes costs hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of jobs. Your taxes will increase because the people who lost their jobs will be going on the government dole. You save a little money now, you pay more later. All for the temporary convenience. It benefits only one person: that fuckeyed prick Bezos, who makes $1,100 per second scamming you long term.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye said:

It's funny. I try to avoid Amazon like the plague. Last three things I have bought on eBay all showed up drop shipped from Amazon Fulfillment Centers. FML. You cannot escape the evil empire.

Everything I've ever purchased from Amazon has been shit. Granted, we are talking minor low ticket items like clothing, phone cases and such. But I see no reason to purchase anything from them and the last thing would be a fucking washer.

• Options
    Bitchfork is going to be upset when Bezos and his army of robots come for his Target job someday. Who needs shelf stackers when robots can do the work for free? He loses his job, then his credit cards get canceled because he can no longer afford to pay down the balance and interest on all that Todd Graham shit he bought from Amazon. Fuck. Then to top it all off, he can't even find a decent shirt or a pair of pants to wear for his job interview picking strawberries with the Messicans because there aren't any stores left to sell him a shirt & some pants because Amazon put them all out of business. What kind of fucking idiot buys their clothes online anyway?
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Amazon is different. Sears never got into the grocery business. Or the shipping business. Or every single facet of what can possibly be bought and sold. You wouldn't recognize a monopoly if it stripped naked in front of you. You want your fucking groceries delivered to your doorstep because you're too fat and lazy to go to the store and never want to leave your room, ok. Just recognize the tradeoffs. Every advance that Amazon makes costs hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of jobs. Your taxes will increase because the people who lost their jobs will be going on the government dole. You save a little money now, you pay more later. All for the temporary convenience. It benefits only one person: that fuckeyed prick Bezos, who makes $1,100 per second scamming you long term.

Ironic.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601

Bitchfork is going to be upset when Bezos and his army of robots come for his Target job someday. Who needs shelf stackers when robots can do the work for free? He loses his job, then his credit cards get canceled because he can no longer afford to pay down the balance and interest on all that Todd Graham shit he bought from Amazon. Fuck. Then to top it all off, he can't even find a decent shirt or a pair of pants to wear for his job interview picking strawberries with the Messicans because there aren't any stores left to sell him a shirt & some pants because Amazon put them all out of business. What kind of fucking idiot buys their clothes online anyway?

Shoes
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    obk seems upset.

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dflea said:

obk seems upset.

Wouldn't you be pissed if the only place you could buy anything was Amazon?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    Swaye's Wigwam

I chinned for the Cheech and Chong picking strawberries with the Messicans.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    As tech progresses, job automation will continue to displace workers. And if Amazon doesn't do it then someone else will because it's cheaper. That's capitalism at work. Hating on Amazon for exploiting that and exploiting economies of scale is FS.

All of human history has seen us shift from 99% of jobs being primary/secondary sector thousands of years ago to 70% being service sector like it is today. We find ways do do shit easier, then shift those jobs to service sector to increase the standard of living. The real question is... is there an upper limit of how many service sector jobs the economy can sustain? No one fucking knows at this point.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    And for anyone whining about how much Bezos makes... you’re a fucking idiot. He’s worth exactly what the market says he’s worth.

If Bezos were to bail on Amazon tomorrow, their share price would plummet due to lack of investor confidence. He interently holds a ridiculous amount of power because of that, which is why he gets paid so much. It’s been that way with big time CEO’s forever.
  • Options
    NEsnake12 said:

As tech progresses, job automation will continue to displace workers. And if Amazon doesn't do it then someone else will because it's cheaper. That's capitalism at work. Hating on Amazon for exploiting that and exploiting economies of scale is FS.

All of human history has seen us shift from 99% of jobs being primary/secondary sector thousands of years ago to 70% being service sector like it is today. We find ways do do shit easier, then shift those jobs to service sector to increase the standard of living. The real question is... is there an upper limit of how many service sector jobs the economy can sustain? No one fucking knows at this point.

Capitalism, like every political/economic system, requires restraints to keep it in check, it was never intended for a small group of oligarchs or one king to control its ebb and flow. It's FS not to get that. At what point must Amazon be put in check? Are you ok with one company owning/operating EVERYTHING in the future? Also, Bezos gets paid a king's ransom because lazy ass millenials need everything NOW, shipped to their doorstep, and fail to see the bigger picture while imaging they're all-knowing. You probably support open borders too. If these jobs are going away like you say, and I agree that they are, and more people are arriving from other countries to compete with the workers who lost their jobs to Amazon's 'innovations,' i.e. less jobs, more people, a growing population, exactly what the fuck do you think is going to happen?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    You are all destroying the union. While we're here arguing about Troomp, the FTC and DOJ have been asleep and allowed kriptonite into the room: the monopoly. Competition is the cure to all that ills us. Even the Gators and the Kewgs. Don't like something? Compete it out of existence. It works like 60% of the time, every time.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Odd. I had Race pegged (not homo) as more of a Sears and Robuck mail order guy.

Snow winning the meme wars, but Race pulled close with the Starsky & Hutch bit.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    Swaye's Wigwam

NEsnake12 said:

Capitalism, like every political/economic system, requires restraints to keep it in check, it was never intended for a small group of oligarchs or one king to control its ebb and flow. It's FS not to get that. At what point must Amazon be put in check? Are you ok with one company owning/operating EVERYTHING in the future? Also, Bezos gets paid a king's ransom because lazy ass millenials need everything NOW, shipped to their doorstep, and fail to see the bigger picture while imaging they're all-knowing. You probably support open borders too. If these jobs are going away like you say, and I agree that they are, and more people are arriving from other countries to compete with the workers who lost their jobs to Amazon's 'innovations,' i.e. less jobs, more people, a growing population, exactly what the fuck do you think is going to happen?
    OBK, I appreciate your role as Luddite in Chief of HH, sounding the warning bells from time to time. I'm know economist and I don't play one on TV, but I'm having a hard time envisioning Amazon completely killing off all brick and mortar and being retail entity left standing. There still going to be plenty of people wanting to go into an actual store to buy clothing 50 years from now and the same is true of grocery stores. I also have a hard time envisioning them putting UPS or Fed Ex out of businesses. Lastly, we don have a long history in the country of breaking up monopolies unless they are either (a) determined to be in the public good and highly regulated (e.g., utilities) or (b) there's some sort of strategic national interest- e.g. Boeing.