Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

JIMMY LAKE DC, KWAT CO-DC

Comments

• Options
    BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

Here's the one way this could potentially go really well for us - if this means Lake is going to spend just as much time recruiting but now focus on other positions. I think Harris can keep DB recruiting at or near current levels. If Lake is now going after Bucks and DT's my criticisms of this move may look foolish down the road.

My fear is this just means Lake spends less time recruiting overall.

maybe somehow lake ends up just as good as Kwat anyways.

You know in your heart the chances of this are extremely slim. The law of averages has no mercy.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    BaldwinIV said:

dnc said:

Here's the one way this could potentially go really well for us - if this means Lake is going to spend just as much time recruiting but now focus on other positions. I think Harris can keep DB recruiting at or near current levels. If Lake is now going after Bucks and DT's my criticisms of this move may look foolish down the road.

My fear is this just means Lake spends less time recruiting overall.

maybe somehow lake ends up just as good as Kwat anyways.

You know in your heart the chances of this are extremely slim. The law of averages has no mercy.
    Of course, I’m just throwing that out there. The scheme is not going to change, the other DC is still here, hopefully the talent keeps improving as that is where a lot of our problems lie right now.

It’s just going to be a different play caller on game days, although the old one will be right there too. I’m not a big fan of the move, but I don’t think it spells doom at all.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,711
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    But I only point out the times Tequilla is wrong...Tequilla takes are spot on in this thread.
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I think Kwiat cares more about helping his colleague achieve Head Coaching than holding the position he will resume to hold and plans to stay at once Lake leaves. I don't know shit though so get your salt.
  • Options
    KevininTacomaKevininTacoma Member Posts: 122
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Is Lake going to make more money than Kawasaki? I'm just trying to follow the money
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Is Lake going to make more money than Kawasaki? I'm just trying to follow the money

One would think. Lake already made nearly as much and this is a legit promotion.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

K probably moves right back to DC after the year. I doubt this arrangement lasts longer than a year, two tops.

Strange move. Maybe K is one of those guys that misses having a small group to coach. I’ve heard coaches talk about missing being a position coach.

Just weird. I can’t recall a coordinator of the top defense in the conference (for 2 straight years, possibly 3?) getting demoted.

The danger is if this doesn’t work well and Lake doesn’t get hired away, then what do you do? Would Pete demote Lake? Would Lake accept a demotion?

Best case scenario is Lake crushes it and gets hired away in the next 24 months. If that doesn’t happen... *shudder*.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

K probably moves right back to DC after the year. I doubt this arrangement lasts longer than a year, two tops.

Strange move. Maybe K is one of those guys that misses having a small group to coach. I’ve heard coaches talk about missing being a position coach.

Just weird. I can’t recall a coordinator of the top defense in the conference (for 2 straight years, possibly 3?) getting demoted.

The danger is if this doesn’t work well and Lake doesn’t get hired away, then what do you do? Would Pete demote Lake? Would Lake accept a demotion?

Best case scenario is Lake crushes it and gets hired away in the next 24 months. If that doesn’t happen... *shudder*.
    Maybe he knows how to stop someone on 3rd down in "big" games?
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

This is downright stunning news ...

First, good on Lake because that should keep him at UW at least for the next handful of years.

Second, the hire of Harris as DB coach makes a lot more sense as it is a transition of responsibilities off of Lake.

Third, this is as selfless of an act by an assistant as I've ever seen by Kwiatkowski ... I'm not sure that I've ever seen this in big boy college football. If you ever needed proof that Kwiatkowski isn't going anywhere above DC, this is your proof.

Fourth, it goes to show how important Lake is viewed by everybody on Montlake and specifically Kwiatkowski by willingly giving up a good chunk of responsibility in the face of some of the most outstanding defense played anywhere in the country the last 2+ years.

Fifth, expect a learning curve next year in playcalling with both coordinators. Bush hasn't called plays in a while now and this will be the first time that Lake has really run with the play calling reigns for an extended period of time. I've heard rumors that Lake was the play caller for the Fiesta Bowl. In each case, both will have a ramp up curve as they figure out what works and doesn't work for them.

Finally, as an aside, this is a great opportunity and example for the coaches to use their own interactions about selfless behavior and operating in the best manner for the team with this change. It's hard for any player or recruit to look at what is being done here and say that this staff operates under a double standard.

This was 1,000 words about how keeping Don Pellum on staff was a good idea.
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,979
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Kawasaki sees we have no heat on the edge. He is commiting all his energy into juicing up the engines of His latest models to match Kawasaki 2013-2014.

This thread looks like doogman.com dont overcomplicate it.