Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Oregon's Spring Game

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

Yeah sure nobody knows yet. I know. Taggart's hired assistants with good track records, he's turned around Western Kentucky and South Florida, yadda yadda.

He's recruiting great. Let's see who signs, and what Willie and his staff (LOL!) do with em.

I go back and forth on Oregon because you have talent, but Taggart does seem like a retard to me.

Your old assistants were pretty good too, DC withstanding. Leavitt is a huge upgrade even if he sucks.

Cut the heads off the snake and punking a 24 year old wannabe journalist is some little league shit. Losing good in state recruits to UW has to hurt too. Not trying to rub it in, but you know that's not good.

A somewhat tough team that plays hard should be able to win 8-9 games with Freeman, the other RB, Herbert, and Carrington. I'm still surprised it fell apart so quickly.

The only reason Oregon fell off so quickly was because of the move from a very mediocre defensive coordinator to one that literally didn't know how to coach a defense, at all. The offense still averaged around 35 points per game.
    Which is amazing considering how bad O line play was. Getting Carrington back was Yuge.
    Really, why? What has he done?

Dude is Jaydon Mickens South.
    Are we talking about the same kid? I don't think so. Following up on another thread, I've read publications projecting him as a second round pick. I doubt that will happen based on the point you made earlier, but Jaydon Mickens? I don't think so.

Ask the Ducks if they consider Carrington important to their offense.

Again, this is the guy who more or less lit up Washington's defense in Seattle for 2 scores and 125 yds. receiving. Where were you?

The only time I remember him disappearing was in the national title game, because he was suspended, and they could have used him.

He's been a fairly big-play receiver for them.
    The biggest strike against him is he was better as a freshman than he was as a junior.

That shits always scary.

He needs to have a huge senior year if he wants to get picked.
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,792
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

Yeah sure nobody knows yet. I know. Taggart's hired assistants with good track records, he's turned around Western Kentucky and South Florida, yadda yadda.

He's recruiting great. Let's see who signs, and what Willie and his staff (LOL!) do with em.

I go back and forth on Oregon because you have talent, but Taggart does seem like a retard to me.

Your old assistants were pretty good too, DC withstanding. Leavitt is a huge upgrade even if he sucks.

Cut the heads off the snake and punking a 24 year old wannabe journalist is some little league shit. Losing good in state recruits to UW has to hurt too. Not trying to rub it in, but you know that's not good.

A somewhat tough team that plays hard should be able to win 8-9 games with Freeman, the other RB, Herbert, and Carrington. I'm still surprised it fell apart so quickly.

The only reason Oregon fell off so quickly was because of the move from a very mediocre defensive coordinator to one that literally didn't know how to coach a defense, at all. The offense still averaged around 35 points per game.
    Which is amazing considering how bad O line play was. Getting Carrington back was Yuge.

Are we talking about the same kid? I don't think so. Following up on another thread, I've read publications projecting him as a second round pick. I doubt that will happen based on the point you made earlier, but Jaydon Mickens? I don't think so.

Again, this is the guy who more or less lit up Washington's defense in Seattle for 2 scores and 125 yds. receiving. Where were you?

The only time I remember him disappearing was in the national title game, because he was suspended, and they could have used him.

The biggest strike against him is he was better as a freshman than he was as a junior.

That shits always scary.

I think that has more to do with quality of QB play than anything else
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

That shits always scary.

If so he'll have a chance to demonstrate that this year. I expect their QB play to be better than it has since his frosh year. If it isn't that's a blackeye for Taggot, IMO.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,977
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

That shits always scary.

His sophomore year, in which he missed the first six games of the season, he had 32 catches, over 600 yds and 6 TDs. I'd say his sophomore year, on a pro forma basis, was better than his freshman year. It is abundantly clear to me that whatever happened last year has to be viewed in context ... the entire team was broken, and QB play was compromised. I will always believe that part of what got Slingblade cooked was his inability to see the obvious that Prukop was a disaster and waited to play him until #5 Chip-on-Shoulder Washington came to town with their best defense in years. Duh.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, even last year, Oregon has choices in terms of skill guys. Carrington is good, but he's not so great that he's going to get all the touches.

I think he plays like he did his junior year and can show some durability it's good enough to get him picked by someone. 6'2" guys who can run and show body control and good hands are like candy to the NFL.

Then again, Stacy Coley lasted until the 7th round ... around the same size at 6'1", faster and a little more athletic than Carrington and more dangerous after the catch. But like Carrington, he's a little on the skinny side and somewhat injury prone.

Who knows.
    dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

That shits always scary.

If so he'll have a chance to demonstrate that this year. I expect their QB play to be better than it has since his frosh year. If it isn't that's a blackeye for Taggot, IMO.
    Agreed. Herbert's a good QB who now has sufficient snaps under his belt.

Much depends on what they've been able to do with the O line.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

That shits always scary.

This exactly.

Misses the biggest game of his life for weed and production drops from freshman to junior year.

I called him Jaydon Mickens South because he is hyped by the quooks/doogs, makes a few flashy plays, doesn't get any better ever, and overall doesn't put up the numbers to meet his hype.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797

I remember when Sark pulled this off 4 years ago. I think 3 of the 8 guys actually signed with UW, and only 1 of them (Qualls) lasted past the 1st year.

Qualls and Lavon.
    So it was a good day
    edited May 2017

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

That shits always scary.

This exactly.

Misses the biggest game of his life for weed and production drops from freshman to junior year.

doesn't get any better ever

this is simply not true.

Season; catches; yds.; avg. per catch; TDs and gaymes played
    2016 43 606 14.1 55 5 12
    2015 32 609 19.0 47 6 7
    2014 37 704 19.0 64 4 10

In 2015, as you can see, he played in three fewer games and was nonetheless within 100 yds. and 5 catches of a pretty solid freshman year ... and scored two more touchdowns. Getting better.

In 2016, catches went up, yds. were flat and TDs were down 1 and avg. per catch was down. Prukop played the first 5 games of 2016, and if you didn't watch, he was an unmitigated disaster. They made the switch to a freshman who can throw just in time for Washington to roll in with a giant chip on their shoulder and their best defense in years. Oregon, by then, had mailed in the season. Not sure I'd read too much into 2016 for any Duck.

Keep in mind the guy has been sharing space with a lot of other good skill guys ... he was never going to put up gaudy statistics, particularly with the emergence of Nelson.

and overall doesn't put up the numbers to meet his hype.

I'm not sure his hype is all that hype as you suggest. He's a dangerous receiver; he's not the next Jerry Rice. Nobody I'm aware of will say anything more. Oregon was, and should have been, happy to get him back.

He'd start at Washington.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849

dnc said:

AZDuck said:

It's nice. Hopefully these kids stick. 5 4-stars in 24 hours is kind of unprecedented for us? even when we? were good.

One thing I've heard is that this is part of the reason Taggart cleaned house, was because the old staff, and everyone connected with all that program continuity approached recruiting with a "aw shucks we're little Oregon, and we're just happy to be a hat on the table" attitude. Taggart's approach is that Oregon is a blue-chip program with blue-chip facilities, blue-chip donor support, and blue-chip coffee cups.

Taggart brought 30 4* and 5* guys to Eugene for the Spring gayme, on unofficial visits. That in itself impresses me. Now he got almost a quarter of them to commit, same day, impresses me even moar. I know Leavit and Cristobal can coach. So, this has me feeling pretty happy.

1/6 = almost a quarter?

The only fraction we trust in Oregon is 9/10th of a cent.
    3/5 is still a popular fraction south of the Columbia.
    OUCH!!!!
    edited May 2017
    All of his numbers were down significantly on a per game basis in 2016.

Regardless of who the qb was UO completed more passes in 2016 and threw for more yards per game than 2015.

Obviously there was more talent to compete with for targets in 2014 than 2016. Six guys caught 5 or more TDs and Carrington had 4.

The point is that this whole narrative about Oregon juniors not declaring because 2017 is gonna be special is bullshit. Carrington was mediocre and likely wouldn't have been drafted.

Could he work harder than ever this summer, avoid rhabdo, and come back to post a monster Senior season? Sure.gif.

But he could also fail a drug test anf quit football. The point is he hasn't yet been the dominant and nfl-bound WR that fans want him to be.

Regardless of who the qb was UO completed more passes in 2016 and threw for more yards per game than 2015.

Obviously there was more talent to compete with for targets in 2014 than 2016. Six guys caught 5 or more TDs and Carrington had 4.

The point is that this whole narrative about Oregon juniors not declaring because 2017 is gonna be special is bullshit. Carrington was mediocre and likely wouldn't have been drafted.

Could he work harder than ever this summer, avoid rhabdo, and come back to post a monster Senior season? Sure.gif.

But he could also fail a drug test anf quit football. The point is he hasn't yet been the dominant and nfl-bound WR that fans want him to be.

Yeah, but that's not the narrative. It's your report of the narrative.

Two points have been made:

(1) it was a boost to Oregon's 2017 campaign that he returned; and (2) he could have been drafted. (1) is obvious. Nobody said 2017 was going to be sheshul. Just that it's a big return for them, and it is. Hard to argue otherwise.

(2) we're never going to finish this math proof. Oregon was a dumpster fire last year, and having a kid who can't throw playing the first five games is a realistic explanation for why one guy's stats are down. Maybe he was throwing more underneath stuff to Nelson. Maybe he was throwing to the backs more. I don't know. It became abundantly clear early on that Prukop was not a good passer so the downfield stuff was not at all what it had been, and Carrington is a downfield receiver.

I'm not talking about any of that 'could have' shit. That's your deal. I'm simply saying that you're wrong when you say he had a good freshman year and hasn't gotten better. He matched his 2014 production in 2015, and exceeded in TDs, all while playing 3 fewer games. 2016 was a problem year. Maybe he was part of the problem and mailed it in when he saw where the team was going. Oregon was a mess last season; trying to make an argument that they weren't is working too hard. I almost stopped reading after "regardless of who the QB was," which reminded me of the Mrs. Lincoln saying. There are a lot of reasons why a kid's stats can go down. He caught more passes for fewer yds. per catch ... could it be a function of how their offense was functioning last year? Yeah, probably. I don't think he got shitty all of sudden.

The kid averaged close to 20 YPC his freshman and sophomore year. You want to write him off as mediocre, go ahead. I doubt a single DC in the Pac 12 would agree with your assessment when planning for Oregon.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

(1) it was a boost to Oregon's 2017 campaign that he returned; and (2) he could have been drafted. (1) is obvious. Nobody said 2017 was going to be sheshul. Just that it's a big return for them, and it is. Hard to argue otherwise.

(2) we're never going to finish this math proof. Oregon was a dumpster fire last year, and having a kid who can't throw playing the first five games is a realistic explanation for why one guy's stats are down. Maybe he was throwing more underneath stuff to Nelson. Maybe he was throwing to the backs more. I don't know. It became abundantly clear early on that Prukop was not a good passer so the downfield stuff was not at all what it had been, and Carrington is a downfield receiver.

I'm not talking about any of that 'could have' shit. That's your deal. I'm simply saying that you're wrong when you say he had a good freshman year and hasn't gotten better. He matched his 2014 production in 2015, and exceeded in TDs, all while playing 3 fewer games. 2016 was a problem year. Maybe he was part of the problem and mailed it in when he saw where the team was going. Oregon was a mess last season; trying to make an argument that they weren't is working too hard. I almost stopped reading after "regardless of who the QB was," which reminded me of the Mrs. Lincoln saying. There are a lot of reasons why a kid's stats can go down. He caught more passes for fewer yds. per catch ... could it be a function of how their offense was functioning last year? Yeah, probably. I don't think he got shitty all of sudden.

The kid averaged close to 20 YPC his freshman and sophomore year. You want to write him off as mediocre, go ahead. I doubt a single DC in the Pac 12 would agree with your assessment when planning for Oregon.
    Didn't you used to make fun of doogs for being obsessed with Oregon?

Fucks sake Creep, I think Carrington is good too, but how many threads are you going to post about him?
    edited May 2017

Fucks sake Creep, I think Carrington is good too, but how many threads are you going to post about him?
    And still do ....

Fair poont. If Freemont came back with another volley, I had already planned to relent. Truthfully, my line of interest in Carrington was passed five poasts ago.

• oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited May 2017
    doogville said:

I remember these comments from Sark's first year. Holt has the D looking really sound! Man, this young staff can really recruit!

Enjoy the wilderness, quooks. Pete will pick the score when you visit this year.

LEAVE
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493

And still do ....

Fair poont. If Freemont came back with another volley, I had already planned to relent. Truthfully, my line of interest in Carrington was passed five poasts ago.

Still sounds like you care

And still do ....

Still sounds like you care
    Cunt poast; cunt poaster.

But he could also fail a drug test and quit football. The point is he hasn't yet been the dominant and nfl-bound WR that fans want him to be.

Bump @Mosster47 @creepycoug

Oregon WR Darren Carrington suspended indefinitely after arrest on DUII; hit a McDonalds drive-through: https://t.co/4tCBzNJ653 #FulmerCup

— The Fulmer Cup (@TheFulmerCup) July 1, 2017
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729

But he could also fail a drug test and quit football. The point is he hasn't yet been the dominant and nfl-bound WR that fans want him to be.

Bump @Mosster47 @creepycoug

Oregon WR Darren Carrington suspended indefinitely after arrest on DUII; hit a McDonalds drive-through: https://t.co/4tCBzNJ653 #FulmerCup

— The Fulmer Cup (@TheFulmerCup) July 1, 2017

Do we gotta a shot at this guy? Askin for a fren