Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Greg Gaines: SEC is overrated

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Secfans said:

'Bama is not the SEC. However a 14 team SEC has A SINGLE TEAM WITH more than eight wins. A twelve team Pac 12 has five teams with at least 9 wins.

Since you are, you know, from the south - I will do the math for you...

So, yes, there is a chance that 'Bama (while a giant among midgets) is not totally unbeatable by a real team.

What in the world does that have to do with anything? You have a bunch of teams who beat a bunch of trash PAC12 teams to get to a 9 win record. Since you're from, you know, the northwest...let me explain football to you. I'll even break down the math for you using my engineering degree.

*** I noticed you include Utah in that group of "9 win teams" even though their 9th win came in a bowl and only one of the SEC's 5 8+ win teams have played their bowls so far...and LSU had to cancel their game with South AL that would have been a 6th 8 win team yet to play a bowl.

9 win teams UW played:

Stanford (9-3). Stanford opened with two wins over KSU and USC. Then went on to get wins against SEVEN CONSECUTIVE TEAMS with losing records. S-E-V-E-N. That's pitiful. They have 9 wins because they beat a bunch of teams everyone else beat. Including a one score win over ND and a nice season ender against Rice.

Colorado (10-4). 7 of Colorado's 10 wins were against 6 teams with losing records and 7-6 Colorado St. They also lost 45-28 to Michigan, and 38-8 to Okie St. They were 0-4 against the 4 good/decent teams they played this year.

USC (9-3). Ahh yes, the "resurgent" USC team who got their poo pushed in by Alabama to open the season. 7 of USC's 9 wins were against teams with losing records. After their 4 point win over a trash Colorado team, they finished the season against teams who averaged 4 wins this season, plus Washington. Woooooooooo. Before their win against Colorado, they beat 5-7 ASU, 4-8 Utah St, and had 3 losses. They good. They real real good.

Utah (9-4) Ahhh yes. Utah. EIGHT. E-I-G-H-T of Utahs 9 wins came against 6 teams with losing records, FCS Southern Utah, and a 1 point win over a BYU team who 5-7 Miss St took to overtime.

Now, let's have a look at Alabama shall we?

USC (9-3). We've already done them. They've beaten nobody besides UW in what may have been a fluke.

WKU (11-3). Beat the same trash Rice team by a wider margin than Stanford did. And a bunch of nobodies.

Tenn (8-4). Beat 6 teams with winning records, 1 trash FCS team, and 1 team with a losing record. Beat the crap out of ACC division winning Va Tech.

Texas A&M (8-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records, 1 FCS, and 4 teams with losing records.

LSU (7-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records, and Ole Miss (healthy Chad Kelly), FCS JVille St, 6-7 Miss St, and crappy Mizzou.

Auburn (8-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records, and Ole Miss w/a healthy Chad Kelly.

Florida (8-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records but honestly Florida is trash too. They won their division by default. Would probably be a 3 point favorite against Colorado.

So literally all of the 8 win conference wins for Bama won beat more teams with winning records than any of the 9+ conf wins for UW.

But congrats on all the 9 win teams. That extra conference game with a win over 5-7 cal or 3-9 Arizona is a really big deal!

None of this means UW is bad. UW beat the crap out of all these teams. It just means the PAC12 sucked this year.
    Would have been easier to say that when other conferences (i.e. the PAC) has said that their clumped records is a sign of parity that's BS ... but when that slogan works for the SEC it is the truth
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Secfans said:

no_uh said:

I thought we were above academis smack talk on this bored?

From what I gather, this board has very few limits in regards to smack talk.
    This bored is all about being more better than the next person ... just ask PSALM Wooching
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,801
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Jesus christ this bored has gotten soft.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,244
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited December 2016

Secfans said:

HAHAHAHAHA from the study

Results from our study indicate that living in an area characterized by a one standard deviation greater proportion of racist Google searches is associated with an 8.2% increase in the all-cause mortality rate among Blacks
    Those also just happen to coincide with areas of higher poverty, more crime, and less access to healthcare and steady employment.

But lets ignore history's most obvious driving factors in mortality rates "because racism." Deer lowered this is why Trump won.

No. Trump won because lower middle class and lower class whites, the nation's largest demographics, felt that blaming minorities for their short comings is easier than dealing with their situation themselves. So they voted for the candidate that made them feel okay about being hateful

Wrong forum for this topic, tug tavern this belongs. However, while your "explanation" fits the SJW narrative it is in fact inaccurate and overly simplistic.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/shining-a-light-on-back-row-america-1483056652
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,770
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Secfans said:

doogville said:

Also, it's literally one of the worst states in the country by any metric you want to look at. But roll tide, baby!

According to whom? What are these metrics? The ones that have you paying 900 grand for a 1400sq ft 3/2 rancher built in 1978? The one where you have a super long commute and pay super high property taxes? The one where you have snow half the year?

I lived in NYC last year for work for a number of months. I was with my family in about a 7 million dollar condo rent free. I couldn't wait to get back to Alabama. And I wasn't even paying the taxes.

People are different. People like different things. I wouldn't live in the state of Washington if you paid me. But then again, I also realize that things I like aren't for everyone.

It's happening again. Every new poster eventually starts sounding like a whiny fag.

The breakthrough happens when they stop taking literally anything seriously and just fuck around with wittiness and sarcasm for no point other than surrendering to debauchery.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Secfans said:

doogville said:

Also, it's literally one of the worst states in the country by any metric you want to look at. But roll tide, baby!

According to whom? What are these metrics? The ones that have you paying 900 grand for a 1400sq ft 3/2 rancher built in 1978? The one where you have a super long commute and pay super high property taxes? The one where you have snow half the year?

I lived in NYC last year for work for a number of months. I was with my family in about a 7 million dollar condo rent free. I couldn't wait to get back to Alabama. And I wasn't even paying the taxes.

People are different. People like different things. I wouldn't live in the state of Washington if you paid me. But then again, I also realize that things I like aren't for everyone.

It's happening again. Every new poster eventually starts sounding like a whiny fag.

The breakthrough happens when they stop taking literally anything seriously and just fuck around with wittiness and sarcasm for no point other than surrendering to debauchery.
    WTF?
  • Options

Secfans said:

HAHAHAHAHA from the study

Results from our study indicate that living in an area characterized by a one standard deviation greater proportion of racist Google searches is associated with an 8.2% increase in the all-cause mortality rate among Blacks
    Those also just happen to coincide with areas of higher poverty, more crime, and less access to healthcare and steady employment.

But lets ignore history's most obvious driving factors in mortality rates "because racism." Deer lowered this is why Trump won.

No. Trump won because lower middle class and lower class whites, the nation's largest demographics, felt that blaming minorities for their short comings is easier than dealing with their situation themselves. So they voted for the candidate that made them feel okay about being hateful

Wrong forum for this topic, tug tavern this belongs. However, while your "explanation" fits the SJW narrative it is in fact inaccurate and overly simplistic.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/shining-a-light-on-back-row-america-1483056652
    That's a great Peggy Noonan article. But referencing a chic w/o titty pics is a party foul of epic proportions, sure to draw many wtfs and down votes.
  • Options
    Baseman said:

Secfans said:

doogville said:

WTF?
    Let me direct you to Cuntwaffle's comment upthread for further explanation.
  • Options
    79smoothdawg79smoothdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 710
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Secfans said:

'Bama is not the SEC. However a 14 team SEC has A SINGLE TEAM WITH more than eight wins. A twelve team Pac 12 has five teams with at least 9 wins.

Since you are, you know, from the south - I will do the math for you...

So, yes, there is a chance that 'Bama (while a giant among midgets) is not totally unbeatable by a real team.

What in the world does that have to do with anything? You have a bunch of teams who beat a bunch of trash PAC12 teams to get to a 9 win record. Since you're from, you know, the northwest...let me explain football to you. I'll even break down the math for you using my engineering degree.

*** I noticed you include Utah in that group of "9 win teams" even though their 9th win came in a bowl and only one of the SEC's 5 8+ win teams have played their bowls so far...and LSU had to cancel their game with South AL that would have been a 6th 8 win team yet to play a bowl.

9 win teams UW played:

Stanford (9-3). Stanford opened with two wins over KSU and USC. Then went on to get wins against SEVEN CONSECUTIVE TEAMS with losing records. S-E-V-E-N. That's pitiful. They have 9 wins because they beat a bunch of teams everyone else beat. Including a one score win over ND and a nice season ender against Rice.

Colorado (10-4). 7 of Colorado's 10 wins were against 6 teams with losing records and 7-6 Colorado St. They also lost 45-28 to Michigan, and 38-8 to Okie St. They were 0-4 against the 4 good/decent teams they played this year.

USC (9-3). Ahh yes, the "resurgent" USC team who got their poo pushed in by Alabama to open the season. 7 of USC's 9 wins were against teams with losing records. After their 4 point win over a trash Colorado team, they finished the season against teams who averaged 4 wins this season, plus Washington. Woooooooooo. Before their win against Colorado, they beat 5-7 ASU, 4-8 Utah St, and had 3 losses. They good. They real real good.

Utah (9-4) Ahhh yes. Utah. EIGHT. E-I-G-H-T of Utahs 9 wins came against 6 teams with losing records, FCS Southern Utah, and a 1 point win over a BYU team who 5-7 Miss St took to overtime.

Now, let's have a look at Alabama shall we?

USC (9-3). We've already done them. They've beaten nobody besides UW in what may have been a fluke.

WKU (11-3). Beat the same trash Rice team by a wider margin than Stanford did. And a bunch of nobodies.

Tenn (8-4). Beat 6 teams with winning records, 1 trash FCS team, and 1 team with a losing record. Beat the crap out of ACC division winning Va Tech.

Texas A&M (8-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records, 1 FCS, and 4 teams with losing records.

LSU (7-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records, and Ole Miss (healthy Chad Kelly), FCS JVille St, 6-7 Miss St, and crappy Mizzou.

Auburn (8-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records, and Ole Miss w/a healthy Chad Kelly.

Florida (8-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records but honestly Florida is trash too. They won their division by default. Would probably be a 3 point favorite against Colorado.

So literally all of the 8 win conference wins for Bama won beat more teams with winning records than any of the 9+ conf wins for UW.

But congrats on all the 9 win teams. That extra conference game with a win over 5-7 cal or 3-9 Arizona is a really big deal!

None of this means UW is bad. UW beat the crap out of all these teams. It just means the PAC12 sucked this year.
    To long. Dumb it down like saying pac 12 are fags and sec fucks the prom queen. Know your audience
  • Options
    "People are different. People like different things. I wouldn't live in the state of Washington if you paid me. But then again, I also realize that things I like aren't for everyone."

Depeche Mode, circa '85? Gay Abundance.
  • Options
    ThumpThump Member Posts: 793
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited December 2016
    PurpleJ said:

SEC is the best until proven otherwise. Prove it DAWGS.

In other words, PurpleJ wants Greg Gaines to say it to his face.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,008
    edited December 2016
  • Options
    DoogieMcDoogersonDoogieMcDoogerson Member Posts: 2,482
    @Secfans: A few quick things.

1) Fuck off. You're a douche.

2) Stats are for losers.

3) Don't make statements like "Nobody runs on Alabama." Is it hard to run on Bama? yep. Could we run on Bama? Yep.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,149
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Everyone needs to check their privilege and be thankful we have 12+ win seasons
  • Options
    DongJamesDongJames Member Posts: 69
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes

a. I'm sure they designed the study to look for the '-er' version of the word that black people do not use.

b. That said, analyzing it this way over represents overt racism (people who would have that word as daily vocabulary) and completely ignores more civil people with equally racist attitudes. Both are racists, but one is 100% invisible to this study.

I think there's a sampling bias at work, and broad Internet search trends are not a reliable proxy for regional racism.

c. To believe that map, I'd have to accept that racism was basically gone west of the Mississippi. Racism is alive and well, even in lefty green Seattle. Seattle people treat racism like it's fucking polio and they found the vaccine.

Secfans said:

Passion said:
    Please tell me this is a joke. Like you're messing with me.

"Area racism was the proportion of Google searches containing the “N-word” in 196 designated market areas (DMAs)"

Do you know who uses the N word the most? Black people. Do you know where the population density of black people is the highest? The south.

But nice to know based on this "scientific" study that the south is infinitely less racist than the northeast.

Be honest, you've never been to the south (Atlanta doesn't count).

• Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Secfans said:

People keep gushing over these DTs because they're fat. I don't get it. Has the PAC12 never had 300+ DTs before? I've never seen such a big deal made out of 3 fat defensive linemen in my life.

The SEC very well may be overrated. But Alabama ain't the SEC any more than Washington is Wazzou.

Haloti Ngata and Brandon Mebane were playing in the Pac at the same time.

The Pac-12 will never stack up on the line to the SEC because the black population out west is very small along with the small Polynesian population that produces a large percent of good lineman in the conference.

The number of NFL D-lineman from the SEC dwarfs every other conference, but every other conference has them. Greg Gaines will be one of them.