Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Priorities for 2017

124»

Comments

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited February 2016
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I hope we don't become pussified if/when we get some good WR's. The scary thing is we know Petersen would prefer to air it out. He likes balance like Sark did. Saban and Meyer aren't getting giddy about the passing game finally overshadowing the run game (actual quote after Arizona). We won't ever hear Petersen say anything about being stubborn with the pass, even though they are certainly stubborn with bubble screens that never work.

I like to say that Urban Meyer doesn't give a shit about the passing game while blacking out the fact that Urban started Cardale Jones because of his abilities in the passing game ahead of JT Barrett and his obvious advantages in the running game ... that's what I like to do.
    Saban also gives a shit about his passing game. Way to completely miss the point though.
    Way to deflect since you know you've stepped in your own shit ...

You aren't sold on Petersen so you'll go after any little thing that you can ...

There's plenty of things that you can go after him that are legit on ... but criticizing him for wanting to have balance on offense isn't one of them. As the passing game caught up at the end of the year, the offense was obviously far better.
    WTF are you talking about? We ran the ball more to end the year. That was after throwing it 60+ times against ASU. You're an idiot.
    You aren't particularly good at this ...

They threw the ball a ton against ASU because outside of a couple of runs by Gaskin the running game wasn't working.

Then, you cite that we ran the ball more at the end of the year as some evidence that Petersen doesn't want balance and to dispute my claim that the offense grew at the end of the year as the passing game caught up. Let's actually see how bad you suck at this analysis thing:

Oregon State: ran the ball 59 times versus 21 passes ... running game as much driven by insane score line (as @CokeGreaterThanPepsi has stated a few times, we ran the same run play over and over and over in the 2nd half) ... Browning was 18 of 20 for 211 yards and 4 TDs. I'd call that an effective day in the passing game.

Washington State: another blow out victory (45-10) where we ran the ball 55 times versus 20 passes. Browning was 14 of 20 for 203 yards with an INT ... probably had a TD or two taken off the boards with some poor work by the WRs in those instances. That kind of skewed play calling is often indicative of these kinds of scores/games when you know that the defense just needs to do what it is doing to win.

Southern Miss: closer game equals more balance with 34 passes and 44 runs. Once again, Browning was efficient in the passing at 23 of 34 for 284. The run mix got a little skewed towards the end of the game as we started getting a comfortable 2 score lead in the 4th quarter.

Over the last 3 games, Browning was 55 for 74 (74.3% completion percentage) for 698 yards (9.4 yards per attempt). If he produces anything in that range going forward and is able to give that kind of balance, this team will have no problem winning 10+ games next year.

You seem to associate having "more balance" with a "50/50 mix" in the play calling. I never said that. But the games where we're running it 50+ times and only throwing it 20 times is going to be reserved for the games where we're blowing out the opposition. In closer games you're probably going to see running plays account for about 55-60% of the total plays going forward. There will be some instances and matchups where teams stack the box to take away the running game that will force more passes (like what happened at ASU).

But the premise is very simple though ... for this team to have a solid offense going forward, it will be dependent on Browning and the passing game being productive forcing teams to have to honor the threat of both the passing AND running games.