Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Priorities for 2017

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Point being nobody runs for 4 to 6 yards every play and nobody throws for 4 to 6 yards every play. That's a completely unrealistic expectation to put on the running game. If that's the standard we?'d abandon the run every game. Thankfully it's not.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Run/Pass stats for notable teams (that actually attempt to run the ball) against ASU this year:

Texas A&M:

Rushing: 45 for 178 (4.0 yards per carry)
    Passing: 19 of 35 for 247 (7.1 yards per attempt, 13.0 yards per completion)

USC:

Rushing: 32 for 76 (2.4 yards per carry)
    Passing: 20 of 34 for 379 (11.1 yards per attempt, 19.0 yards per completion)

UCLA:

Rushing: 28 for 62 (2.2 yards per carry)
    Passing: 22 of 40 for 280 (7 yards per attempt, 12.7 yards per completion)

Utah:

Rushing: 31 for 72 (2.3 yards per carry), included a 62 yard run
    Passing: 26 of 36 for 297 (8.25 yards per attempt, 11.4 yards per completion)

Oregon:

Rushing: 28 of 184 (6.6 yards per carry), included a 64 and 62 yard run
    Passing: 23 of 41 for 315 (7.7 yards per attempt, 13.7 yards per completion)

Washington:

Rushing: 34 for 152 (4.2 yards per carry), included a 53 yard run
    Passing: 28 of 52 for 405 (7.8 yards per attempt, 14.5 yards per completion)

Arizona:

Rushing: 34 for 109 (3.2 yards per carry), included a 40 yard run
    Passing 20 of 43 for 340 (7.9 yards per attempt, 17.0 yards per completion)

Cal:

Rushing: 22 for 138 (6.3 yards per carry)
    Passing: 30 of 51 for 542 (10.6 yards per attempt, 18.1 yards per completion)

West Virginia:

Rushing: 33 for 144 (4.4 yards per carry)
    Passing: 28 of 51 for 532 (10.4 yards per attempt, 19.0 yards per completion)

With all of these data points, it's impossible to not see that ASU in general is fairly good at slowing down running games. In the process, they'll give up a big run here and there but where you beat them is with explosive plays in the passing game.
  • Options
    dnc said:

And 14 of those passes were either (incompletions, 3rd down non conversions or the short Browning scramble). So the passing game was just as frequently disappointing as the running game if not moreso.

That's an argument that would make some sense if run plays and passing plays had the same frequency of chunk plays to them ... but they don't.

With respect to Washington's play against ASU, each completion on average got 14-15 yards ... so if you're able to get a 1st down on average with each completion, the incompletions, etc. are not quite the issue.

And the reason why 3rd down conversions can be a problem with ASU is because if they can get you behind the sticks on 3rd down it allows them to change how they play defensively. It's critical that you're able to get positive gains on 1st and 2nd down against them to keep them from being able to just sit back and keep everything in front of them on 3rd down.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Run/Pass stats for notable teams (that actually attempt to run the ball) against ASU this year:

Texas A&M:

Rushing: 45 for 178 (4.0 yards per carry)
    Passing: 19 of 35 for 247 (7.1 yards per attempt, 13.0 yards per completion)

USC:

Rushing: 32 for 76 (2.4 yards per carry)
    Passing: 20 of 34 for 379 (11.1 yards per attempt, 19.0 yards per completion)

UCLA:

Rushing: 28 for 62 (2.2 yards per carry)
    Passing: 22 of 40 for 280 (7 yards per attempt, 12.7 yards per completion)

Utah:

Rushing: 31 for 72 (2.3 yards per carry), included a 62 yard run
    Passing: 26 of 36 for 297 (8.25 yards per attempt, 11.4 yards per completion)

Oregon:

Rushing: 28 of 184 (6.6 yards per carry), included a 64 and 62 yard run
    Passing: 23 of 41 for 315 (7.7 yards per attempt, 13.7 yards per completion)

Washington:

Rushing: 34 for 152 (4.2 yards per carry), included a 53 yard run
    Passing: 28 of 52 for 405 (7.8 yards per attempt, 14.5 yards per completion)

Arizona:

Rushing: 34 for 109 (3.2 yards per carry), included a 40 yard run
    Passing 20 of 43 for 340 (7.9 yards per attempt, 17.0 yards per completion)

Cal:

Rushing: 22 for 138 (6.3 yards per carry)
    Passing: 30 of 51 for 542 (10.6 yards per attempt, 18.1 yards per completion)

West Virginia:

Rushing: 33 for 144 (4.4 yards per carry)
    Passing: 28 of 51 for 532 (10.4 yards per attempt, 19.0 yards per completion)

With all of these data points, it's impossible to not see that ASU in general is fairly good at slowing down running games. In the process, they'll give up a big run here and there but where you beat them is with explosive plays in the passing game.

UW was 24 for 135 on designed runs (5.625 ypc). I DGAF what other teams did against ASU when we had a far better running game than most of them. UW ran the ball well against ASU. We just didn't run it enough.
  • Options

Jesus fucking Christ @Tequilla, did you take your meds today? It's fucking February, we don't need to reanalyze how Peterman fucked up the ASU game. It's easy: they abandoned the run, case closed.

Dis-a-fucking-gree

We lost the ASU game due to a failure to execute. We had more than enough yardage and opportunities to win the game.

Big difference between failure to execute versus failure to have a reasonable game plan.

As the game stats show, we actually had more success running against ASU than most teams.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Not sure who was at the ASU game, but I was there, and is was clear UW had wide open receivers deep consistently (due to ASU stacking the box). Either Browning missed (most often) or our WRs didn't make plays.

The ASU game had everything to do with missed opportunities in the 1st half and turnovers. Anytime you turn the ball over 4 times and your defense doesn't get any, there's a 95% chance you lose. It had very little to do with Gaskin's touches. For fuck's sake, we gained nearly 550 yards.

Regardless, Fuck Babushka !!! Right?
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    HuskyInAZ said:

Not sure who was at the ASU game, but I was there, and is was clear UW had wide open receivers deep consistently (due to ASU stacking the box). Either Browning missed (most often) or our WRs didn't make plays.

The ASU game had everything to do with missed opportunities in the 1st half and turnovers. Anytime you turn the ball over 4 times and your defense doesn't get any, there's a 95% chance you lose. It had very little to do with Gaskin's touches. For fuck's sake, we gained nearly 550 yards.

While what you said is true, Smiff still is way below average.

• Options
    HuskyInAZ said:

Who was missing those opportunities and coughing up those turnovers? The true freshman QB on the road. I wonder if running the ball more than 30% of the time could have taken some pressure of him? Nah.
  • Options

After the ASU game, Tequilla said it was inexcusable and that Smith needed to be fired. Now, he's on here defending why dropping back 60+ times was okay. But how is @Tequilla the exact same as @Auburndawg?

Sometimes it's interesting how when you say some things off the cuff and emotionally charged how when you look at things later, with a different perspective, and perhaps some information that you hadn't considered previously, you see some things differently.

During and immediately after the game, there was no question that I was frustrated. I wasn't particularly happy with the execution during the game and I probably threw more of that on Petersen/Smith as a result. We had 557 yards of total offense and only 17 points. You've got to work really hard to be that inept. The two big things that really frustrated me after the game was putting the game all on Browning and the WRs (since we hadn't proved at that point that those guys could win a game for us) and that we allowed Gaskin to be taken out of the game. It's really the Gaskin issue that bothered me the most.

After looking at the stats of the game in more detail and understanding what ASU did throughout the season, the decision to focus on the passing game seems a little more understandable. And while it may not have seemed like it at the time, it does seem like Browning grew some from his failures in that game. Ultimately, it's why the difference between 7-6 and 8-5 or even 9-4 may not have mattered too much last year because so much of the year was about developing players and getting them the experience necessary.

Where I'd really challenge Smith in the aftermath of that game would be in finding more ways to get Gaskin the ball and handle ASU's pressure through the RB screen game and some swing routes. Now, what I don't know is how comfortable Gaskin is with some of those types of situations (i.e. the swing route) but I do think that they needed to find a few more ways to get him the ball and ideally in positions where he could have been isolated in space. I'd have to go look at the game log again but I seem to recall that there were some 2nd and short, 3rd and short, etc. opportunities where Smith called for pass plays versus run plays. For as much as forcing Browning to grow during a game can be stated, putting the OL in a position where they need to execute also was room for growth. Going jumbo a few times would actually have mitigated the traditional ASU blitz package and allowed the OL to be able to go more hat on hat instead of trying to feel like they were getting overrun like they were for large chunks of the day. But there were definitely some opportunities to be more dictated in our formation to get players in easier to execute situations. That's a giant criticism of Smith and general and why I'm still not sold on him as OC.

Regarding Smith, I do recognize some of the limitations that he has had to work with over the last couple of years. The production the last half of the season obviously was much better ... although the execution at times lacking (and also a product of some of the player limitations). He still has to prove that he's not a complete fucktard and I think there's a very good reason why Petersen only gave him a 1 year extension whereas everybody else got 2 years.

On the whole though, I was generally pleased with the growth of the team and players last year. I do see a strong foundation that has been laid for the 2016 season and beyond. I do think that there were times that we took some lumps that could have been avoidable. But on the other hand, some of the best ways to learn is to get smacked in the face a few times. When I look at the program as a whole at this point, the only real question marks that I have are Smith, whether we'll ever be able to develop/recruit WRs, and some AD related issues. Other than that, it's really hard for me to find much to criticize. After the last 15 years, while I'm not going to be happy until these items get proved to me, I'm also not going to go jump off of the Aurora Bridge. There's a lot of programs right now that have it a lot worse than we do.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

After the ASU game, Tequilla said it was inexcusable and that Smith needed to be fired. Now, he's on here defending why dropping back 60+ times was okay. But how is @Tequilla the exact same as @Auburndawg?

Sometimes it's interesting how when you say some things off the cuff and emotionally charged how when you look at things later, with a different perspective, and perhaps some information that you hadn't considered previously, you see some things differently.

During and immediately after the game, there was no question that I was frustrated. I wasn't particularly happy with the execution during the game and I probably threw more of that on Petersen/Smith as a result. We had 557 yards of total offense and only 17 points. You've got to work really hard to be that inept. The two big things that really frustrated me after the game was putting the game all on Browning and the WRs (since we hadn't proved at that point that those guys could win a game for us) and that we allowed Gaskin to be taken out of the game. It's really the Gaskin issue that bothered me the most.

After looking at the stats of the game in more detail and understanding what ASU did throughout the season, the decision to focus on the passing game seems a little more understandable. And while it may not have seemed like it at the time, it does seem like Browning grew some from his failures in that game. Ultimately, it's why the difference between 7-6 and 8-5 or even 9-4 may not have mattered too much last year because so much of the year was about developing players and getting them the experience necessary.

Where I'd really challenge Smith in the aftermath of that game would be in finding more ways to get Gaskin the ball and handle ASU's pressure through the RB screen game and some swing routes. Now, what I don't know is how comfortable Gaskin is with some of those types of situations (i.e. the swing route) but I do think that they needed to find a few more ways to get him the ball and ideally in positions where he could have been isolated in space. I'd have to go look at the game log again but I seem to recall that there were some 2nd and short, 3rd and short, etc. opportunities where Smith called for pass plays versus run plays. For as much as forcing Browning to grow during a game can be stated, putting the OL in a position where they need to execute also was room for growth. Going jumbo a few times would actually have mitigated the traditional ASU blitz package and allowed the OL to be able to go more hat on hat instead of trying to feel like they were getting overrun like they were for large chunks of the day. But there were definitely some opportunities to be more dictated in our formation to get players in easier to execute situations. That's a giant criticism of Smith and general and why I'm still not sold on him as OC.

Regarding Smith, I do recognize some of the limitations that he has had to work with over the last couple of years. The production the last half of the season obviously was much better ... although the execution at times lacking (and also a product of some of the player limitations). He still has to prove that he's not a complete fucktard and I think there's a very good reason why Petersen only gave him a 1 year extension whereas everybody else got 2 years.

On the whole though, I was generally pleased with the growth of the team and players last year. I do see a strong foundation that has been laid for the 2016 season and beyond. I do think that there were times that we took some lumps that could have been avoidable. But on the other hand, some of the best ways to learn is to get smacked in the face a few times. When I look at the program as a whole at this point, the only real question marks that I have are Smith, whether we'll ever be able to develop/recruit WRs, and some AD related issues. Other than that, it's really hard for me to find much to criticize. After the last 15 years, while I'm not going to be happy until these items get proved to me, I'm also not going to go jump off of the Aurora Bridge. There's a lot of programs right now that have it a lot worse than we do.
  • Options
    HUSKYFANATICHUSKYFANATIC Member Posts: 1,651
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Beat Oregon is 2016 top priority
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Beat Oregon Watch Taylor Rapp decepitate Gabe Marks in the Apple Cup is 2016 top priority

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,533
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    UW didn't run the ball enough with Shaq in 2014 and lost to Graham because of it. They were pounding his soft pussy every time, even when ASU loaded the box. No reason to think it would have been any different in 2015 with Gaskin in there, imo.

A dropped pass is a run for 0 yards where you didn't physically punish/wear out the defense at the point of attack. Passing the ball the majority of the time let ASU's defense off the hook. Pretty simple.

• Options

Beat Oregon in 2016 nothing else matters

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    HuskyInAZ said:

Coog logic. But we gained all the yards!
  • Options

HuskyInAZ said:

Coog logic. But we gained all the yards!
    What more do you want?