Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Priorities for 2017

Comments

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I hope we don't become pussified if/when we get some good WR's. The scary thing is we know Petersen would prefer to air it out. He likes balance like Sark did. Saban and Meyer aren't getting giddy about the passing game finally overshadowing the run game (actual quote after Arizona). We won't ever hear Petersen say anything about being stubborn with the pass, even though they are certainly stubborn with bubble screens that never work.

I like to say that Urban Meyer doesn't give a shit about the passing game while blacking out the fact that Urban started Cardale Jones because of his abilities in the passing game ahead of JT Barrett and his obvious advantages in the running game ... that's what I like to do.
    Saban also gives a shit about his passing game. Way to completely miss the point though.
    Way to deflect since you know you've stepped in your own shit ...

You aren't sold on Petersen so you'll go after any little thing that you can ...

There's plenty of things that you can go after him that are legit on ... but criticizing him for wanting to have balance on offense isn't one of them. As the passing game caught up at the end of the year, the offense was obviously far better.
    Or the schedule got easier...
  • Options
    kh83kh83 Member Posts: 596
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    Theoretically, the coaches like replacing what's leaving with the same position...seniors inbound are

Beaver
    Brostek
    Cooper
    Daniels
    Eldrenkamp
    King
    Kniep
    Lindquist
    Mathis
    Turpin
    Van Winkle
    Walker
    Wooching

So looks like we'll add a QB, TB, TE, 3 OL, 2 DL, LB, 3 DB and a K. Figure in a couple wr for the couch sellers and there's our next class.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    kh83 said:

Theoretically, the coaches like replacing what's leaving with the same position...seniors inbound are

Beaver
    Brostek
    Cooper
    Daniels
    Eldrenkamp
    King
    Kniep
    Lindquist
    Mathis
    Turpin
    Van Winkle
    Walker
    Wooching

So looks like we'll add a QB, TB, TE, 3 OL, 2 DL, LB, 3 DB and a K. Figure in a couple wr for the couch sellers and there's our next class.

Add Mangna to that list as a Montana State transfer,
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I hope we don't become pussified if/when we get some good WR's. The scary thing is we know Petersen would prefer to air it out. He likes balance like Sark did. Saban and Meyer aren't getting giddy about the passing game finally overshadowing the run game (actual quote after Arizona). We won't ever hear Petersen say anything about being stubborn with the pass, even though they are certainly stubborn with bubble screens that never work.

I like to say that Urban Meyer doesn't give a shit about the passing game while blacking out the fact that Urban started Cardale Jones because of his abilities in the passing game ahead of JT Barrett and his obvious advantages in the running game ... that's what I like to do.
    Saban also gives a shit about his passing game. Way to completely miss the point though.

You aren't sold on Petersen so you'll go after any little thing that you can ...

There's plenty of things that you can go after him that are legit on ... but criticizing him for wanting to have balance on offense isn't one of them. As the passing game caught up at the end of the year, the offense was obviously far better.
    WTF are you talking about? We ran the ball more to end the year. That was after throwing it 60+ times against ASU. You're an idiot.
    You aren't particularly good at this ...

They threw the ball a ton against ASU because outside of a couple of runs by Gaskin the running game wasn't working.

Then, you cite that we ran the ball more at the end of the year as some evidence that Petersen doesn't want balance and to dispute my claim that the offense grew at the end of the year as the passing game caught up. Let's actually see how bad you suck at this analysis thing:

Oregon State: ran the ball 59 times versus 21 passes ... running game as much driven by insane score line (as @CokeGreaterThanPepsi has stated a few times, we ran the same run play over and over and over in the 2nd half) ... Browning was 18 of 20 for 211 yards and 4 TDs. I'd call that an effective day in the passing game.

Washington State: another blow out victory (45-10) where we ran the ball 55 times versus 20 passes. Browning was 14 of 20 for 203 yards with an INT ... probably had a TD or two taken off the boards with some poor work by the WRs in those instances. That kind of skewed play calling is often indicative of these kinds of scores/games when you know that the defense just needs to do what it is doing to win.

Southern Miss: closer game equals more balance with 34 passes and 44 runs. Once again, Browning was efficient in the passing at 23 of 34 for 284. The run mix got a little skewed towards the end of the game as we started getting a comfortable 2 score lead in the 4th quarter.

Over the last 3 games, Browning was 55 for 74 (74.3% completion percentage) for 698 yards (9.4 yards per attempt). If he produces anything in that range going forward and is able to give that kind of balance, this team will have no problem winning 10+ games next year.

You seem to associate having "more balance" with a "50/50 mix" in the play calling. I never said that. But the games where we're running it 50+ times and only throwing it 20 times is going to be reserved for the games where we're blowing out the opposition. In closer games you're probably going to see running plays account for about 55-60% of the total plays going forward. There will be some instances and matchups where teams stack the box to take away the running game that will force more passes (like what happened at ASU).

But the premise is very simple though ... for this team to have a solid offense going forward, it will be dependent on Browning and the passing game being productive forcing teams to have to honor the threat of both the passing AND running games.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

WTF are you talking about? We ran the ball more to end the year. That was after throwing it 60+ times against ASU. You're an idiot.

They threw the ball a ton against ASU because outside of a couple of runs by Gaskin the running game wasn't working.

Then, you cite that we ran the ball more at the end of the year as some evidence that Petersen doesn't want balance and to dispute my claim that the offense grew at the end of the year as the passing game caught up. Let's actually see how bad you suck at this analysis thing:

Oregon State: ran the ball 59 times versus 21 passes ... running game as much driven by insane score line (as @CokeGreaterThanPepsi has stated a few times, we ran the same run play over and over and over in the 2nd half) ... Browning was 18 of 20 for 211 yards and 4 TDs. I'd call that an effective day in the passing game.

Washington State: another blow out victory (45-10) where we ran the ball 55 times versus 20 passes. Browning was 14 of 20 for 203 yards with an INT ... probably had a TD or two taken off the boards with some poor work by the WRs in those instances. That kind of skewed play calling is often indicative of these kinds of scores/games when you know that the defense just needs to do what it is doing to win.

Southern Miss: closer game equals more balance with 34 passes and 44 runs. Once again, Browning was efficient in the passing at 23 of 34 for 284. The run mix got a little skewed towards the end of the game as we started getting a comfortable 2 score lead in the 4th quarter.

Over the last 3 games, Browning was 55 for 74 (74.3% completion percentage) for 698 yards (9.4 yards per attempt). If he produces anything in that range going forward and is able to give that kind of balance, this team will have no problem winning 10+ games next year.

You seem to associate having "more balance" with a "50/50 mix" in the play calling. I never said that. But the games where we're running it 50+ times and only throwing it 20 times is going to be reserved for the games where we're blowing out the opposition. In closer games you're probably going to see running plays account for about 55-60% of the total plays going forward. There will be some instances and matchups where teams stack the box to take away the running game that will force more passes (like what happened at ASU).

But the premise is very simple though ... for this team to have a solid offense going forward, it will be dependent on Browning and the passing game being productive forcing teams to have to honor the threat of both the passing AND running games.
    Gaskin in the first half ran 12 times for 98 yard. He only got 6 more carries in the second half in a game we were winning 17-3 at halftime.

Effin a...
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Gaskin in the first half ran 12 times for 98 yard. He only got 6 more carries in the second half in a game we were winning 17-3 at halftime.

Effin a...
    And if you go back and look at the game log, or the log of Gaskin's runs that I put together after the ASU game, you'll realize that the balance of Gaskin's yardage came on just a couple of runs. The vast majority of his runs for the game were for 2 yards or less and ended up putting UW in a lot of 2nd and long situations.

You need to find ways to get Gaskin the ball because of his big play potential ... but to say that the run game was particularly effective against ASU would not be accurate. It hit a few big plays, but that was it. It was far from consistent ... which ultimately is what you're looking for if you're going to be running the ball an overwhelming percentage of the time.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Gaskin for 17
    Gaskin for 1
    Gaskin for 2
    Gaskin for 11
    Gaskin for 6
    Gaskin for 53
    Gaskin for 1 (TD)
    Gaskin for 6
    Gaskin for -1
    Gaskin for 4
    Gaskin for -2
    Gaskin for 0

His first half was aok...take out the 53 yard run (and 1 yd TD run) and he still averaged 4.4 YPC

• Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,998
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Gaskin for 17
    Gaskin for 1
    Gaskin for 2
    Gaskin for 11
    Gaskin for 6
    Gaskin for 53
    Gaskin for 1 (TD)
    Gaskin for 6
    Gaskin for -1
    Gaskin for 4
    Gaskin for -2
    Gaskin for 0

His first half was aok...take out the 53 yard run (and 1 yd TD run) and he still averaged 4.4 YPC

Thank for showing @Tequilla that HE sucks at this analysis thingy. Fucking Christ he is dense.
  • Options
    Take out the 3 double digit runs and he was 9 for 17. In the 2nd half the trend continued.

Point being that the running game was not an effective source of ball movement in the game with the exception of the instances when Gaskin was able to break one ... which ended basically at the start of the 2nd quarter.

Some of you fucktards will argue anything to try to get one up on me ... but this isn't the argument.
  • Options
    Absolutely disagree.

Relying on your running game to me means that you're able to consistently rely on it and move the chains. If you're going heavy in the running game, then it means to me that you're valuing the 4-6 yards per carry way more than you are the chunk carries.

With respect to Gaskin and the ASU game, what the chunk yardage tells me is that he's obviously explosive and there are opportunities to find ways to get him in positions to make big gains. When you take out the chunk yardage though, it tells me that the running game wasn't being sustainable when it comes to moving the chains and lengthy drives.

Let me ask you the following from that game:

Was there anything in the ASU game that would have indicated to you that you would have expected say a 13 play, 80 yard drive where 9 of the 13 plays were running plays?

If you can't answer yes to that question, then you probably aren't working with a sustainable running game.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Take out the 3 double digit runs and he was 9 for 17. In the 2nd half the trend continued.

Point being that the running game was not an effective source of ball movement in the game with the exception of the instances when Gaskin was able to break one ... which ended basically at the start of the 2nd quarter.

Some of you fucktards will argue anything to try to get one up on me ... but this isn't the argument.

Take out the 3 runs that didn't get positive yardage and he was 9 for 101.

Taking out 25% of the runs on either end to suit your narrative is FS.
    ...and ignoring 75% of the runs to suit your narrative may be even more FS.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited February 2016
    HuskyInAZ said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Take out the 3 runs that didn't get positive yardage and he was 9 for 101.

Taking out 25% of the runs on either end to suit your narrative is FS.
    ...and ignoring 75% of the runs to suit your narrative may be even more FS.
    Who's ignoring 75% of them? Of those 12 runs, you could call 5 of them disappointments (the three that didn't gain positive yards, plus the non scoring 1 yard and the 2 yarder, assuming neither of them gained first downs). Maybe the 4 was disappointing, depending on down and distance, though it's unlikely. That leaves 6 runs, or half that were good or better. A touchdown, 2 6 yarders and three in double digits.

You can't ignore the three long runs just like you can't ignore the three stuffs. They're both part of the story. But there's no sane way to look at that collection of rushing totals and conclude the rushing game was not sustainable.

And that's if you just look at the numbers. When you add in that it was Myles Gaskin running the ball and Jake Browning throwing the ball it should be plainly obvious we? should have ran the ball more.
  • Options
    Browning first half dropbacks

Mickens for 21
    Lenius for 5
    Incomplete
    Incomplete (3rd down failure)
    Jake run for 3 (assuming this was called a pass)
    Lenius for 3 (3rd down conversion)
    Renfro for 13
    Incomplete
    Hall for 19
    Incomplete
    Daniels for 12
    Incomplete
    Jake run for 7 (assuming this was called a pass) (3rd down conversion)
    Mickens for 17
    Incomplete (4th down failure)
    Daniels for 12
    Perkins for 11
    Incomplete
    Renfro for 6
    Gaskin for 3 (3rd down failure)
    Daniels 29/TD
    Lenius 5
    Pettis 7
    Incomplete

So Browning dropped back 28 times in the first half versus 12 Gaskin runs. If we take out the best 25% of those dropbacks you get 21 dropbacks for 50 yards. This seems like a great way to judge how well the passing game was working.
  • Options
    NEsnake12 said:

Sticking to the run game is about a lot more than the yardage. It keeps the opponents pass rushers and safeties honest if we consistently run the ball, even if it isn't 100% successful. It opens up play action and more opportunities in the pass game.

I agree with that 100%.

But at the same time, when you look at what ASU does in how they blitz, they pretty much make most between the tackle running plays ineffective. Everything they do on defense is all about consistent blitzing and forcing the QB to have to make throws under pressure while getting hit early and often. They don't want to sit back and get picked apart. Instead, they want to go after 3 and outs and turnovers at the expense of giving up big plays.

Where you can hurt their defense is with quick throws behind the blitz where your receivers cleanly win the 1 on 1 game as well as finding ways to get your RBs into space 1 on 1 against LBs or Safeties.

In the running game, you're not going to change what they are going to defensively. Instead, what you can get out of the running game is some opportunities to break some plays if you can get them overrunning the run play, get a play call away from their blitz, etc.
  • Options
    And 14 of those passes were either (incompletions, 3rd down non conversions or the short Browning scramble). So the passing game was just as frequently disappointing as the running game if not moreso.