Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

My Thoughts On The State of The 2015 Team

Comments

• HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732

HuskyInAZ said:

I love the "win or GTFO" crowd. WTF do you all expect with 3 FR and 1 SO starting on the OL, combined with a FR QB and 2 average (at best) SO WRs. Show me one P5 team that has that amount of youth. And if one exists/existed, I pretty certain the results of that offense sucked balls.

I expect to beat Cal at home.
    Expect, demand, bitch, whine and moan 'till the cows come home. It's not worth a hill of beans. Take off the entitled, purple glasses, and you'll see the overwhelming youth at nearly every position on offense is going to lead to some shitty games. I don't like it any more than anyone else on the board, but that doesn't change reality.

However, Smith/Petersen's offense, as you've pointed out before, is entirely to cutesy. At this point, my guess is Smith is DOA, and rightly so.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Even Petersen acknowledged that the future is NOW. UW had a chance to be 4-0 with just average offensive play and couldn't do it.

Sofuckingirritating.gif

I'm Cockusing this thread with so many poasts, but this. We're young. We are also losing close games to mediocre teams. It has happened way too much the past two seasons to not be sofuckingirrating.gif.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,591
    I expected to beat Cal before the season started too.

But then Charles had to retire and the other holdovers from the previous regime who backed up last year's OL looked pretty underwhelming so Strausser decided to blow it up and go with the young guys.

So having 3 freshmen starting on the OL and 4 total underclassmen in front of a true frosh QB, yeah there will be some growing pains.

Plus the Cal was favored by 4.5 to 6.5 points for much of the week going into the game and they have a top 10 QB who is going to take advantage of 5 TO's (4 by true freshmen and 1 by Dwayne Washington).

HuskyInAZ said:

I love the "win or GTFO" crowd. WTF do you all expect with 3 FR and 1 SO starting on the OL, combined with a FR QB and 2 average (at best) SO WRs. Show me one P5 team that has that amount of youth. And if one exists/existed, I pretty certain the results of that offense sucked balls.

I expect to beat Cal at home.

Even Petersen acknowledged that the future is NOW. UW had a chance to be 4-0 with just average offensive play and couldn't do it.

Sofuckingirritating.gif

What would you expect Petersen to say? That this is a rebuilding year, and the fans just need to be patient? Probably not too smart for a guy who is paid a ton of money to win.

And please don't go the "we could have been 4-0" route. You're a better poster than that.

I'll try this one more time. Show me one P5 team that has/had our youth on offense that didn't shit the bed more often than not.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 19,908 Founders Club
    HFNY said:

I had a back and forth with someone very close to the program (an "insider" if you will).

As far as Smith goes, it comes down to executing and knowing your guys. He's not a bad coordinator. But he has had his share of fuck ups. We'll see what happens with him but this person doesn't see him being around much longer.

Dear REAL God I hope your insider is Peterman.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,519 Founders Club
    I think the team will start to click around Helloween and November. That's not what people want to hear or deserve, and people have a right to impatience after one top 25 finish in 13 years, but it's just the reality of the situation.

I've said this numerous times, but if you are expecting PC, Rural Meyer or Saban, it's unlikely. Warshington has never gone 51-9 over five years since the 20s or some ancient leather helmet time.

If you're expecting fairly consistent top 25 finishes and a Rose Bowl every few years, that's definitely possible and failure of those objectives is grounds for termination.
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971
    Strausser is least of my concerns.

Go away:

Smiff and Peace

Still Open on:

Keith B - Warsh had fumbling issues predating Keith. At some point, it's on the player. Warsh isn't Wendell Tyler, so it's hard to tolerate his fumblitits. I don't think it's on Keith. I will say, he needs to recruit a second RB this class - the position depth is decidedly mediocre excepting Gaskin.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

You hate money betting on UW against USC. They have a better offense, defense, and even coach than Cal. And the game is on the road.

Do we know the line for the game yet? If it was a 10 point line, you're probably wise to bet on SC. If it is 20, I think I'd trust the UW defense.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    I think Strausser's resume is fairly strong ... he's the only offensive coach that I'm not overly concerned about.

The consensus that Smith may be in over his head is at least promising to hear ... he probably needs to go coordinate at the Mountain West level again for a few years.

I think Pease probably needs to be assessed as well.

I'm ok with the idea of growing pains this year ... but we should look to see at least one win this year where you can point to and say progress is being made. Arizona was that win last year ... and we blew it. Need something comparable this year.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,591
    What's interesting is that Cal is 1st in the Pac-12 in sacks after 4 games (12).

USC is tied with UW at 4th at 8.

USC has given up 8 sacks and UW has given up 11 (tied with Oregon for 10th in the league....ASU is last with at 14). After a bye week, not hard to imagine the pass-pro will be a little better against USC and that will help Browning.

But which team will be able to run the other out of their 2 deep looks? Babushka better not abandon the run, even if Kessler (USC #1 in passing efficiency) gets USC to 14-0. Hopefully BB comes back because we missed him vs. Cal. USC is 9th in rushing offense while UW is 11th. OTOH, UW is 1st in rushing D while USC is 6th.

So why not go more aggressively with 3 TEs and use less Mickens and Hall against USC to make life easier for Browning and physically establish the running game?

Can still spread the TEs out (especially Perkins and Daniels) to make Cravens worry about more things (in addition to Washington in the passing game out of the backfield) while hoping to isolate their true frosh LB Cam Smith in either facet of the game?

Unless there are severely extenuating circumstances, I will want to draw and quarter Babushka if he doesn't have around a 58% - 42% run to pass game against USC. Or maybe this would suffice

Sofuckingirritating.gif

• PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    edited September 2015
    HFNY said:

As far as Smith goes, it comes down to executing and knowing your guys. He's not a bad coordinator. But he has had his share of fuck ups. We'll see what happens with him but this person doesn't see him being around much longer.

Where do I send my $10.95?

FUCK

I suppose one of these times over the last 15 years or so this line of insider bullshit that we get after every new coach is exposed could actually be true BUT I WILL BELIEVE IT WHEN I FUCKING SEE IT.

Awfully young culture change next year or the year after fucking special as always.

What fucking entitled purple glasses are you talking about. Get the shit out of your eyes and your head out of pool boy's ass and grab a fucking clue.

As you know, we have not been good over the past 15 years or so. Lots of blame to go around, but the lions share goes to AD and up. But that doesn't change reality today. Our offense is historically young based on the shit for talent left by Sark. Expecting them to be clicking on most cylinders is ridiculous, unless of course, you're sporting entitled purple glasses.

I'm not a fan of pool boy, nor am I a fan of Smith. Regardless, how about you pull your head out of the past, get your cataracts corrected and get a clear view of our reality today.
    AEB said:

Removing the feces from my throat, terrible recruiting and roster management for 15 years has resulted in UW being Cal. At some point, UW was going to get a real coach and they'd have to rebuild the roster. I think Pete's that guy. He needs to make some changes, but TSIO in August so it's about progress. Don't make it right. Not happy. Skeptical still. But demanding improved offense play calling is probably the most immediate improvement HHB can agitate for.

Most rational post in the thread.