Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

"I have a dream..."

13»

Comments

• Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    edited September 2013
    Unless Woody and the PC Upper Campus are deal killers we don't know about, UW is a plum job. (The PC crap is intrenched in academia most everywhere, even in the SEC.)

Aaaaaaaaandy and Fleenor say UW will always be second tier coaching job because of the weather. BS. Columbus Ohio? Sun and Fun? Hardly, and Columbus is at par with Auburn or Kent as a place to live. (Funny how no one mentions the weather in Chicago or Boston, but they're really fun places?)

Seattle is a way hipper place than it was in the 70s when DJ got there. Seattle has been a happening place since the 90s, an international city with big time job ops for kids. Not to mention the best stadium in the country and a loyal (but stupid) fan base. If a coach can't make it happen at UW, he won't anywhere.

Sometimes this stuff gets overlooked until you move.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Unless Woody and the PC Upper Campus are deal killers we don't know about, UW is a plum job. (The PC crap is intrenched in academia most everywhere, even in the SEC.)

Aaaaaaaaandy and Fleenor say UW will always be second tier coaching job because of the weather. BS. Columbus Ohio? Sun and Fun? Hardly, and Columbus is at par with Auburn or Kent as a place to live. (Funny how no one mentions the weather in Chicago or Boston, but they're really fun places?)

Seattle is a way hipper place than it was in the 70s when DJ got there. Seattle has been a happening place since the 90s, an international city with big time job ops for kids. Not to mention the best stadium in the country and a loyal (but stupid) fan base. If a coach can't make it happen at UW, he won't anywhere.

Sometimes this stuff gets overlooked until you move.

January is really the best time to go to South Bend or Ann Arbor. Handy Andy and Bleenor retards.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    edited September 2013
    Race I hardly disagree with you but if you are going to yell doog at everyone who is a UW optimist, then I'll say the same at those who have grandiose expectations for UCLA. Based on DawgPassion206's rankings (which are based on championships, major bowl wins, conference winning seasons) UW is ahead of UCLA. If not for two things UCLA would be higher and a better job. It's a basketball school first and foremost and it has a national power in its backyard. Like I said, thats why it has never reached the heights UW did.

Mora could build a powerhouse at UCLA for sure. To say on a Saban level, hell no. And its FS to not see that UW as is right now is one of the best jobs in the country and better than its been a real long time. FWIW I think Sark leaves after this year or next.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Race I hardly disagree with you but if you are going to yell doog at everyone who is a UW optimist, then I'll say the same at those who have grandiose expectations for UCLA. Based on DawgPassion206's rankings (which are based on championships, major bowl wins, conference winning seasons) UW is ahead of UCLA. If not for two things UCLA would be higher and a better job. It's a basketball school first and foremost and it has a national power in its backyard. Like I said, thats why it has never reached the heights UW did.

Mora could build a powerhouse at UCLA for sure. To say on a Saban level, hell no. And its FS to not see that UW as is right now is one of the best jobs in the country and better than its been a real long time. FWIW I think Sark leaves after this year or next.

I know you were being sarcastic, but that's not what Race does.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,372 Founders Club

Derek and Race are basically UCLA/Mora doogs. Derek makes bombastic statements while Race is a parrot yelling doog at everyone. I like Mora and wish he was our coach, but he's not. Fuck Emmert and Hedges. He should have been hired twice. But when they did offer he said no.

He won 9 games last year with the easiest schedule in the conference and a mediocre defense. LIFPO. While I bet he does well, UCLA's program has never reached the heights UW's has and probably because of USC's presence. UW has better tradition, better facilities, stronger fan base, and probably higher assistant salaries.

FWIW, Fleenor agrees with you. Thinks Mora would never leave UCLA.

So, playing Devil's advocate, if Nick Saban went to UCLA you don't think within 3-4 years he would have one college football's premier programs?

If you agree with that statement, then it disproves your comments about tradition, etc. It goes to show, as always, that it starts at the top with leadership and the willingness to pay for that level of leadership.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Derek and Race are basically UCLA/Mora doogs. Derek makes bombastic statements while Race is a parrot yelling doog at everyone. I like Mora and wish he was our coach, but he's not. Fuck Emmert and Hedges. He should have been hired twice. But when they did offer he said no.

He won 9 games last year with the easiest schedule in the conference and a mediocre defense. LIFPO. While I bet he does well, UCLA's program has never reached the heights UW's has and probably because of USC's presence. UW has better tradition, better facilities, stronger fan base, and probably higher assistant salaries.

So, playing Devil's advocate, if Nick Saban went to UCLA you don't think within 3-4 years he would have one college football's premier programs?

If you agree with that statement, then it disproves your comments about tradition, etc. It goes to show, as always, that it starts at the top with leadership and the willingness to pay for that level of leadership.
    I believe Saban would make UCLA one of cfb's premier programs.

I don't think he would make it far and away THE premier program, which is what he has done at Bama.
  • Derek and Race are basically UCLA/Mora doogs. Derek makes bombastic statements while Race is a parrot yelling doog at everyone. I like Mora and wish he was our coach, but he's not. Fuck Emmert and Hedges. He should have been hired twice. But when they did offer he said no.

To be fair in most of our lifetimes you can count on one hand a program who has won three out of four national titles. I can think of Alabama and Nebraska of the 90's that's it.

You have to go back to the 1930's to find a team who 3-peated. What Saban has done at Bama is rare and to suggest Mora could do that is a little insane.

If the roles were reversed and Sark was 11-5 and a Doog said that you'd be all over him. Yet you are doing the same with Mora?

Let's wait until Mora wins a conference title before we start dropping Saban comparisons.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,372 Founders Club

To be fair in most of our lifetimes you can count on one hand a program who has won three out of four national titles. I can think of Alabama and Nebraska of the 90's that's it.

You have to go back to the 1930's to find a team who 3-peated. What Saban has done at Bama is rare and to suggest Mora could do that is a little insane.

If the roles were reversed and Sark was 11-5 and a Doog said that you'd be all over him. Yet you are doing the same with Mora?

Let's wait until Mora wins a conference title before we start dropping Saban comparisons.
    I agree with your opening statement, but my thoughts toward Mora stem from the potential I see in him, in much the same way I was so excited the first few times I saw Napoleon Kaufman carry the football as a freshman.
  • Derek and Race are basically UCLA/Mora doogs. Derek makes bombastic statements while Race is a parrot yelling doog at everyone. I like Mora and wish he was our coach, but he's not. Fuck Emmert and Hedges. He should have been hired twice. But when they did offer he said no.

I agree with your opening statement, but my thoughts toward Mora stem from the potential I see in him, in much the same way I was so excited the first few times I saw Napoleon Kaufman carry the football as a freshman.
    You are still doing what the Doogs did with Sark though. You should let it play out.

Mora could be the next Saban/Carroll but he could also be another solid coach who can't get over the hump. Last year for year one was solid but he did get his ass handed to him in the bowl game, to a terrible Cal team and lost back to back to Stanford.

Again, I like Mora but if you can't see how you are talking up Mora is how Doogs talk up Sark then I can't help you.

You are still doing what the Doogs did with Sark though. You should let it play out.

Mora could be the next Saban/Carroll but he could also be another solid coach who can't get over the hump. Last year for year one was solid but he did get his ass handed to him in the bowl game, to a terrible Cal team and lost back to back to Stanford.

Again, I like Mora but if you can't see how you are talking up Mora is how Doogs talk up Sark then I can't help you.
    We shall agree to disagree. If you can't see how Mora's results and incredible recruiting put to shame Sark's first 1.2 years at UW, I can't help you.

We shall agree to disagree. If you can't see how Mora's results and incredible recruiting put to shame Sark's first 1.2 years at UW, I can't help you.
    Again this isn't about Sark this is about you claiming why would Mora leave UCLA when he is building an Alabama like dynasty to come to UW?

You just said Saban could turn around any program into a power house because ultimately coaching matters.

So why couldn't Mora turn UW into this Alabama like dynasty?

If Mora can make UCLA into Alabama of the west(which historically says really tough to do as it's difficult to go 3 out of 4) then why can't he at UW?

Again this isn't about Sark this is about you claiming why would Mora leave UCLA when he is building an Alabama like dynasty to come to UW?

You just said Saban could turn around any program into a power house because ultimately coaching matters.

So why couldn't Mora turn UW into this Alabama like dynasty?

If Mora can make UCLA into Alabama of the west(which historically says really tough to do as it's difficult to go 3 out of 4) then why can't he at UW?
    Don James couldn't make UW into the Alabama of the West, so why would Mora be able to? But what I think Mora could do, is to make UW the UW of the West...the one that existed a couple a decades ago. For starters, he would patch the God Damn fence.
    BTW, I agree with you 100%. I think Derek's suggestion of Mora making UCLA being Bama of the west so why leave? Was a little out there.

Mora would bring back the alums, no more former players kids choosing to go elsewhere, the "overrated" fence would now be praised on Doogman, we'd be a tough team. Basically be what Stanford has been the last three years.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754

DJ didn't say UCLA was Bama he said it could be built. Some of you need to learn the difference

Straight out of the Broon handbook.