Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

How Much Talent did Sark waste in 2013?

Comments

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    whlinder said:

whlinder said:

Would love to see a comparison to the 2000 team.
    Big difference is the QB and OL was better back then.

I'm not sure the QB was that much better. Tui was certainly a better runner. Quite HonestlyI think the difference was coaching, coaching, coaching.
    Tui had innate leadership which Price did not and I don't think Tui's leadership was because of coaching. He had that independently and the coaching enhanced it. Price was a better passer but Tui raised the level of play for everyone around him.
    I don't think it's fair to expect a QB to put a team on his back the way Tui did. KP was a great college QB.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Gladstone said:

...And it better fucking mention how Sark won 8 (not 9) with that team.

7 if you dont count Idaho St...
    5 if you don't count the 2 that Ross won singlehandedly.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sark isn't terrible, he just needs the winds to blow his way perfectly to be successful.

I hate to sound like Puppy, but he has amassed serious talent in Compton. His teams will never respond well to adversity, but he might have enough fire power to steam roll the south.

Take your screenshots.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    topdawgnc said:

Doogles said:

Sark isn't terrible, he just needs the winds to blow his way perfectly to be successful.

I hate to sound like Puppy, but he has amassed serious talent in Compton. His teams will never respond well to adversity, but he might have enough fire power to steam roll the south.

Take your screenshots.

I don't think he will "steam roll" the south, but he will be a contender with 9-10 wins a year.

He has too much talent not to.

But he doesn't have enough coaching talent or disclipne to beat the good coaches with similar talent, or the excellent coaches.
    What excellent coaches?
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2015
    topdawgnc said:

Doogles said:

Take your screenshots.

I don't think he will "steam roll" the south, but he will be a contender with 9-10 wins a year.

But he doesn't have enough coaching talent or disclipne to beat the good coaches with similar talent, or the excellent coaches.
    I don't disagree, he needs things to go perfectly because he doesn't have the skill to keep the team together in hard times.

But to discount the talented individuals he has is doogish. LIPO.

Edit: Fenwick nailed it with his comment about individuals vs a cohesive team. Sark appeals to the dreamer athletes. Most of them have talent and professional aspirations, but when things don't go as scripted there is no foundation to help them persevere.
  • Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

topdawgnc said:

Doogles said:

Take your screenshots.

What excellent coaches?
    Paging @SonnyDykes
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,371
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    edited August 2015

whlinder said:

Pickett had more talent that Tui and the same coach; what happened with him?

QBs impact the culture like no other position.

You know who else had "talent"?

I know you're being sarkastic but we're talking about QB, not safety.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,535
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    So you're a strong believer in QBs like Jay Cutler, Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, JaMarcus Russell, etc etc?

Good to know.

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

I'm not sure the QB was that much better. Tui was certainly a better runner. Quite HonestlyI think the difference was coaching, coaching, coaching.
    Tui had innate leadership which Price did not and I don't think Tui's leadership was because of coaching. He had that independently and the coaching enhanced it. Price was a better passer but Tui raised the level of play for everyone around him.
    I'm not a strong believer in the QB intangibles thing. I will concede that Tui was better at making big plays when the team needed them though.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,982
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

Take your screenshots.

Agreed.

He's competent enough to be a power five coach, but he's never going to be an elite or really good coach. He's one of those people who can talk his way through life for a while, even for a few years. Eventually most figure out he's a soft fraud though.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,236
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Good thread. That team was loaded with playmakers. It did have some weak spots too. And Price, despite the hype was an average QB in the PAC 12.

Timu making the Bears would be interesting because everyone always said he sucked.

Timu making da' Bears roster is more an indication of how bad da' Bears defense is.
  • Options
    HFNY said:

So you're a strong believer in QBs like Jay Cutler, Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, JaMarcus Russell, etc etc?

Good to know.

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

I'm not a strong believer in the QB intangibles thing. I will concede that Tui was better at making big plays when the team needed them though.
    No. Those guys fucking sucked.

I believe in quarterbacks that actually make good plays, not "talented" gun slingers who suck.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Josh Shirley had a sack yesterday for the Raiders. No idea what his status is but thats another guy from the 2013 squad.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    All of those guys were very good college players but lacked the intangibles to succeed at the next level (things like leadership, work ethic, absolute will to win etc etc etc).

QBs like Russell Wilson and Joe Montana don't / didn't have ideal height and weight but they have those innate intangibles that has them not only making plays but also winning the Super Bowl.

Same for Drew Brees.

HFNY said:

Good to know.

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

I believe in quarterbacks that actually make good plays, not "talented" gun slingers who suck.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

All of those guys were very good college players but lacked the intangibles to succeed at the next level (things like leadership, work ethic, absolute will to win etc etc etc).

QBs like Russell Wilson and Joe Montana don't / didn't have ideal height and weight but they have those innate intangibles that has them not only making plays but also winning the Super Bowl.

Same for Drew Brees.

HFNY said:

Good to know.

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

I disagree with Boobie about QB intangibles, but Montana and Russell Wilson produce and win. Same with Drew Bree's for the most part. Leaf, George, Russell, Locker, etc have talent, but they all suck.
  • Options
    HFNY said:

Same for Drew Brees.

HFNY said:

Good to know.

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

They also were missing actual quarterback skills like accuracy and decision making.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Yep and I agree with you that intangibles are no substitute for talent.

At the same time, someone like Jeff George was clearly very talented but never won in part because he didn't many intangibles (wasn't a leader, was a jerk, openly fought with coaches, etc etc etc). He was still talented enough to play in the NFL for 14 years, throwing for 27,602 yards and 154 career TDs.

Ryan Leaf kinda reminded me of George, except he had serious behavioral issues that ultimately manifested via his pill addiction and criminal behavior.

HFNY said:

Same for Drew Brees.

HFNY said:

Good to know.

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

I disagree with Boobie about QB intangibles, but Montana and Russell Wilson produce and win. Same with Drew Bree's for the most part. Leaf, George, Russell, Locker, etc have talent, but they all suck.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    For real make this a front page article