Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

How Much Talent did Sark waste in 2013?

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    whlinder said:

whlinder said:

Would love to see a comparison to the 2000 team.
    Big difference is the QB and OL was better back then.

I'm not sure the QB was that much better. Tui was certainly a better runner. Quite HonestlyI think the difference was coaching, coaching, coaching.
    Tui had innate leadership which Price did not and I don't think Tui's leadership was because of coaching. He had that independently and the coaching enhanced it. Price was a better passer but Tui raised the level of play for everyone around him.
    I'm not a strong believer in the QB intangibles thing. I will concede that Tui was better at making big plays when the team needed them though.
    whlinder said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

I'm not sure the QB was that much better. Tui was certainly a better runner. Quite HonestlyI think the difference was coaching, coaching, coaching.
    Tui had innate leadership which Price did not and I don't think Tui's leadership was because of coaching. He had that independently and the coaching enhanced it. Price was a better passer but Tui raised the level of play for everyone around him.
    I'm not a strong believer in the QB intangibles thing. I will concede that Tui was better at making big plays when the team needed them though.
    Perhaps I can interest you in some summer reading?

(yes, DJ is my source)

Whatever you want to call it, QB intangibles, culture, missing WASHINGTON dammit, it's the same thing Race has talked about that once the losing stench gets in a program it is really hard to get out. Price had it on him and it may not be his fault, but Tui definitely didn't have it. Tui reflected the Husky culture at the time and made it better. Price reflected the Husky culture at the time and failed to make it better. Of course coaching but the QB can wield a lot of power.

tl;dr: Tui refused to lose, Price tried to win.
    That culture comes from the head coach on down.

Hope this helps.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,591 Standard Supporter
    Pickett had more talent that Tui and the same coach; what happened with him?

QBs impact the culture like no other position.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

(yes, DJ is my source)

Whatever you want to call it, QB intangibles, culture, missing WASHINGTON dammit, it's the same thing Race has talked about that once the losing stench gets in a program it is really hard to get out. Price had it on him and it may not be his fault, but Tui definitely didn't have it. Tui reflected the Husky culture at the time and made it better. Price reflected the Husky culture at the time and failed to make it better. Of course coaching but the QB can wield a lot of power.

Hope this helps.
    Please boobs, do elaborate on Skippy's HC brilliance and downplay Tui's QB brilliance. I really think you're on to something here.
    Gladstone said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

(yes, DJ is my source)

Hope this helps.
    Please boobs, do elaborate on Skippy's HC brilliance and downplay Tui's QB brilliance. I really think you're on to something here.
    Tui was a great playmaker and the Huskies don't win the Rose Bowl and pop off without him.

However, the quarterback is responsible for one part of the game while the head coach is responsible for all three.

You don't see Nick Saban winning titles with great quarterbacks.

Shall I continue?
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,545 Founders Club
    The Stanford game was everything for that team. That overturned call killed the last bit of doog in me.

Washington wins that game, who knows how the rest of the season goes.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Keith Price was very good early in his sophomore year and obviously in the Holiday Bowl. He got beat to shit because of a bad OL and was never the same. He was pretty bad in 2012 and very average his senior year. 2nd in passer rating, but 7th in QBR. He also had an embarrassment of riches at the skill positions. He had one good game his entire career against a good defense, and that was Stanford his senior year.

Price's performance basically summed up Sark's tenure. Some flashes early, sometimes very good against bad teams, and almost always shit against the good ones. He didn't even make a training camp in the NFL and is a 3rd string QB in the CFL. Stats are for losers. He was mediocre. On a great team he's good enough to win. That's about it.
    edited August 2015

I remember when Doogs were excited to see Price leave and the Miley era begin. Now we are going on 2 years strong without having at least a FCS level quarterback. Doogs deserve everything that is happening to them.

Guilty as charged. Price was fucking horrible in the Apple Cup and Fight Hunger Bowl despite his high completion percentage. Little did I know.
  • SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611

I remember when Doogs were excited to see Price leave and the Miley era begin. Now we are going on 2 years strong without having at least a FCS level quarterback. Doogs deserve everything that is happening to them.

Guilty as charged. Price was fucking horrible in the Apple Cup and Fight Hunger Bowl despite his high completion percentage. Little did I know.
    Yeah that is true. I thought the Price hate was way overblown but he definitely did regress. The offensive line and shitty best playcalling in America had a lot to do with it though. He was pretty solid and had some bad games here and there, and was a multi-year starter. I couldn't believe people thought it was a given that the next guy was going to be way better than him.
  • SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    Gladstone said:

Of course he regressed. He got absolutely destroyed in 2012. Sacked 50+ times. Probably still has nightmares of LSU DL chasing and hitting him. Those scars don't heal and he pretty much always had happy feet after that.

I'll always remember how after the LSU game, their players were amazed at how surprisingly easy it was and how soft our players were.
    Gladstone said:

Of course he regressed. He got absolutely destroyed in 2012. Sacked 50+ times. Probably still has nightmares of LSU DL chasing and hitting him. Those scars don't heal and he pretty much always had happy feet after that.

Yep. During and after 2012 he felt pressure even when it wasn't there because he was getting hit every other play. I remember one play against ASU his senior year where a WR burned his man and was open by five to ten yards deep. He wasn't kind of open, it was an easy TD. The OL surprisingly picked up the blitz perfectly. All Price had to do was step up in the pocket. He probably could have even planted and thrown. Instead he slides right and into the only place where any pressure was fucks up the play. Fucking infuriating. The shitty OL made him a mess and completely changed him.

Against Cal in 2011, he was moving around, avoiding pressue, and dropping dimes. Same for the Holiday Bowl.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    Sark is like the hot chic that doesn't fuck.

Looks good to those who don't know she ain't ever going to produce.

whlinder said:

Pickett had more talent that Tui and the same coach; what happened with him?

QBs impact the culture like no other position.

You know who else had "talent"?

Gladstone said:

Of course he regressed. He got absolutely destroyed in 2012. Sacked 50+ times. Probably still has nightmares of LSU DL chasing and hitting him. Those scars don't heal and he pretty much always had trust issues after that.

• DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,545 Founders Club
    @RoadDawg55 you say holiday bowl one more time...

Como se dice Alamo?