Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Immigrant Recovery...

HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,967
This came out a while back in zerohedge...some issues with how they handle some of the data and conclusions on QE, but overall there is a lot of truth to it. I think it is one of the reasons why if Trump keeps talking immigration he'll have some legs for a while, especially with a divided Republican field. Also one reason (of many) why Obama's economic record has been so sh!tty...wages have been stagnant/falling because companies have been importing workers to fill them instead of pushing up wages. Its a simple supply/demand curve, and as long as the supply (worker) side is more flexible with both legal and illegal immigration than the demand side on creating jobs you won't see a steady increase in overall take-home pay/standard of living for the folks below the median income.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-06-06/illegal-immigrant-recovery-presenting-most-stunning-number-may-jobs-report

But while all of these comparisons are apples to oranges, using the BLS' own Native-Born series, also presented on an unadjusted basis, we find the following stunner: since the start of the Second Great Depression, the US has added 2.3 million "foreign-born" workers, offset by just 727K "native-born".

Comments

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Ok, fair point. Generally zero hedge is FS.. But another point I want to make. There's been roughly zero migration from Mexico the last 4 years.

Here's the chart showing the trend, but this stops at 2011.

photo 2012-phc-mexican-migration-01a_zpslyykeoyx.png

Then what about after 2011?

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/jun/22/bill-clinton/bill-clinton-zero-net-migration-mexico-2010/

Clinton said that between 2010 and 2014, there was zero net in-migration from Mexico. The census data to prove that is not in for 2014, but the numbers up to 2013 support his point, as do very preliminary 2014 data.The population of people living in America but born in Mexico fell by about 40,000 since 2010. That’s not a perfect measure, but the experts we reached said it is a strong indication of a prevailing trend.

Yes we need border security, and yes illegal immigrants are an issue and always will be an issue. But it seems like the incredible growth in illegals has ceased. So it appears if we build a fence, we actually would be holding the immigrants in our country.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,644
    2001400ex said:

Ok, fair point. Generally zero hedge is FS.. But another point I want to make. There's been roughly zero migration from Mexico the last 4 years.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/jun/22/bill-clinton/bill-clinton-zero-net-migration-mexico-2010/

Clinton said that between 2010 and 2014, there was zero net in-migration from Mexico. The census data to prove that is not in for 2014, but the numbers up to 2013 support his point, as do very preliminary 2014 data.The population of people living in America but born in Mexico fell by about 40,000 since 2010. That’s not a perfect measure, but the experts we reached said it is a strong indication of a prevailing trend.

Yes we need border security, and yes illegal immigrants are an issue and always will be an issue. But it seems like the incredible growth in illegals has ceased. So it appears if we build a fence, we actually would be holding the immigrants in our country.

Our?
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    dnc said:

2001400ex said:

Our?
    We?
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,322
    2001400ex said:

You do realize that immigrants from guatemala, el salvador, belize, nicaragua, honduras, panama, colombia, venezuela, etc. use the Mexico/US border to get to the US as well? And that these immigrants make up a large portion of the illigal migration, which would not show up on your fancy little graph.

I know, but still............................

2001400ex said:

You do realize that immigrants from guatemala, el salvador, belize, nicaragua, honduras, panama, colombia, venezuela, etc. use the Mexico/US border to get to the US as well? And that these immigrants make up a large portion of the illigal migration, which would not show up on your fancy little graph.

Great, then show me that support.
    edited July 2015
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Not as much as I thought, but you can still see that while Mexico is trending down, you are still seing an increase in the South American and Central American immigrant population. If you add the net change to the Mexican population net change, you get a net positive. So no, border security is still a major problem.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

More Asians and Less Latinos. Good for the economy, bad for NTD, BB material.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,101 Founders Club

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

More Asians and Less Latinos. Good for the economy, bad for NTD, BB material.
    Pepsi likes the Latinos.
    edited July 2015
    I can't wait to see how Clinton *cough *cough Honda responds to the new data. And yes the Center of Immigration Studies was my source
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499

I can't wait to see how Clinton *cough *cough Honda responds to the new data. And yes the Center of Immigration Studies was my source

He's currently staring at it to try and figure out a way to flip it in his favor.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,091 Founders Club

PurpleJ said:

NTD, BB.
    Vuelvo enseguida , la masturbación
    edited July 2015
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

NTD, BB.
    *vuelvo pronto
  • unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    As an old cab driver once told me in San Diego - illegal or legal, there's just too damn many of them

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Not as much as I thought, but you can still see that while Mexico is trending down, you are still seing an increase in the South American and Central American immigrant population. If you add the net change to the Mexican population net change, you get a net positive. So no, border security is still a major problem.
    Ok, so there's a net 25,000 from Mexico, central, and south america. Out of over 300 million people. I would imagine most people from south america get here by plane or whatever, not through Mexico, but whatever. And keep in mind, your chart also includes legal immigrants.

Like I said, it's an issue for sure. But I find it comical that is being magnified as a much bigger issue than it should be, and basically just killed the Latino vote. The same exact reason Sean hannity said after the 2012 election that he's evolved and believes in a path to citizenship.
  • HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

NTD, BB.
    *vuelvo pronto
    For my clarification, VE, LM, P = NTB, BB = BRB, JO ?????

This place is becoming quite the melting pot.
    edited July 2015
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Ok, so there's a net 25,000 from Mexico, central, and south america. Out of over 300 million people. I would imagine most people from south america get here by plane or whatever, not through Mexico, but whatever. And keep in mind, your chart also includes legal immigrants.

Like I said, it's an issue for sure. But I find it comical that is being magnified as a much bigger issue than it should be, and basically just killed the Latino vote. The same exact reason Sean hannity said after the 2012 election that he's evolved and believes in a path to citizenship.
    First you argued a decrease in Mexican immigrants and I successfully argued why your logic is skewed. A nice tap dance though of trying to cover up your cherry picked use of data.

Second being for Illegal immigrants in order to get their vote is exactly what is wrong with this country. It's the very example of how the left uses race and guilt to increase power. And why you are everything that is wrong with the left and shows your lack of morality, as you want to use race for the sole purpose of strengthening your political stance. You are a worthless puppet of the abuse of power.