Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Husky Football: ‘It Is Very Cool To Be Smart’

Comments

• ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904

We get it AoG, you couldnt get admitted into UW and quit the CWU football team after 3 practices

I actually enjoyed this post, since to my knowledge you are the only one that has actually taken account of the fact I played college football if only in a minor way! And that includes the real world too. Also, it was three weeks, not 3 practices. Not listed on the depth chart, I did enough to take a few hits and run a few sprints.

If anything, UW is a populist school. When the coach says "elite" I take that in the common sense usage that only a very select few are accepted, and then of those there is a very high degree of academic rigor. A statement like that would apply to places like Stanford and MIT. Look, I ~know~ people who went to the UW and they are just fine. I like them. But to say that they went to an elite school is pushing it way too far. Now, in engineering at the undergraduate level, possibly it is elite. I'll grant that. It is very tough to get into UW engineering. Even 4.0 students do not make it necessarily into EE. But at the undergraduate level which is what would concern the football players, the education is about like every other school at this level. In fact, the classes are huge, so you get less professor interaction in general, so arguably it is not as good.

Don't get me wrong, the UW is a good school, but there is a certain unjustified snobbishness which accompanies some attitudes. Maybe the UW is elite compared to BSU. Fine.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    edited July 2015

We get it AoG, you couldnt get admitted into UW and quit the CWU football team after 3 practices

I actually enjoyed this post, since to my knowledge you are the only one that has actually taken account of the fact I played college football if only in a minor way! And that includes the real world too. Also, it was three weeks, not 3 practices. Not listed on the depth chart, I did enough to take a few hits and run a few sprints.

If anything, UW is a populist school. When the coach says "elite" I take that in the common sense usage that only a very select few are accepted, and then of those there is a very high degree of academic rigor. A statement like that would apply to places like Stanford and MIT. Look, I ~know~ people who went to the UW and they are just fine. I like them. But to say that they went to an elite school is pushing it way too far. Now, in engineering at the undergraduate level, possibly it is elite. I'll grant that. It is very tough to get into UW engineering. Even 4.0 students do not make it necessarily into EE. But at the undergraduate level which is what would concern the football players, the education is about like every other school at this level. In fact, the classes are huge, so you get less professor interaction in general, so arguably it is not as good.

Don't get me wrong, the UW is a good school, but there is a certain unjustified snobbishness which accompanies some attitudes. Maybe the UW is elite compared to BSU. Fine.
    Take your ass-raping like a man and suffer in silence, shitball.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    edited July 2015
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,717 Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

I wonder what these guys think when they realize UW has the shittiest looking coeds in the Pac-12. I barely recall several Apple Cups when it hit me that the WSU sluts looked better than our pasty granola heifers. This was the 90's too. It has to be even worse now. Jesus.

#sundevils

You should spend some time with Splooge and develop yellow fever.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,568 Founders Club
    edited July 2015

also, you assholes twisted this into a CWU/EWU argument, which it isn't.

Yeah, but it made it more fun.
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904

it sounds like dennis needs a bit of a timeout. But, this kind of temper tantrum happens with an elitist poseur. Especially when I say it is a good school.

Just not elite.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Gladstone said:

At the Tiki I was expecting goons of the filthiest order but everyone was pretty normal looking.

but there was a very disappointing sweatpant effort ... still very disappointing to me
    If we're going to bash on the undergrad education at the UW ... then it is what it is. You realize as a cog in the machine that you aren't the focal point. But it's ok, you get a great foundation to build upon ...

Now, if we were going to bash TCU MBA's, I'd have the flaming pitchfork out ... particularly if anybody started comparing a TCU MBA to institutions that could DIAFF like Baylor or SMU.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    Gladstone said:

At the Tiki I was expecting goons of the filthiest order but everyone was pretty normal looking.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with that. I thought we'd have guys showing up in sweatpants and cheeto stained t-shirts. At least @tequilla made an effort.
    I tried to be at my blowhard best that night
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    HFNY said:

UW isn't elite but they are trying to get there.

I love good football players who happen to be smart. They pick up things quickly (important with mandated limited practice time unlike the NFL) and tend to remember opponent tendencies from scouting reports.

First play that comes to mind about a player being smart was Mason Foster's interception off the foot of an Arizona WR on a spread screen. He freelanced a little but his smarts paid off with a Pick 6 for the win.

You're confusing instincts coupled with great athletic ability with smarts.

You can get away with that on a degenerate MB

My advice would be to not let it happen if on a walkabout with splooge though.

Hth
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,087 Founders Club

QPOTD!!
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Swaye said:

I wonder what these guys think when they realize UW has the shittiest looking coeds in the Pac-12. I barely recall several Apple Cups when it hit me that the WSU sluts looked better than our pasty granola heifers. This was the 90's too. It has to be even worse now. Jesus.

#sundevils

Sad but true.

Though if you like Asians, its moving in the right direction.

Remember there are 1000s of chicks at all these schools and plenty of hot sluts for football guys to lay whether you go to Utah or USC.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,586 Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

#sundevils

I'm probably in the minority in saying that while they were some fugly girls at UW, there were some absolute dimes there as well. Yes, dumb hot chicks get into UW all the time. A lot of the them from California as well.