Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Position Grades

QB = Keith Price look mobile and confident. It was really impressive to see him come right back out after the INT and go 7-8 on their 1st long TD drive. You can tell he likes getting into a rhythm with the fast paced offense. Only bad news was that he appeared to be limping after a play in the mid 4th qtr. GRADE = A

RB = Sankey is so good at finding the hole and hitting it hard. The thing that still amazing me for a RB his size is how hard it is to bring him down. Sark needs to continue to feed him 25+ carries per game. Dwayne Washington looked really quick and I love how he ran hard after contact. Grade = A+

WR = It actually nice to look at the box score and see the reception totals spread out. Mickens, Smith and Ross all looked very dangerous with the ball in their hands. The best performance by this group had to be the blocking, either on the bubble screens or in the run game. This is one of the reasons Oregon hits you with so many big plays is their WR group is so good at taking out their defender. Grade = A+

TE = Nice to see Perkins get a TD, but we did not see much else from the group due to our formations. Grade = Incomplete

Oline = we knew they could run block based on Sankey's performances last year, but could they give Price time to throw? I know it had a lot to do with the quick passing game, but it is still impressive to only giving up the 1 sack, which I think is on Sark for not calling a timeout the play before. Riva needs to clean up his game, and you can correct me if I am wrong, but I only remember 1 holding call. Grade = A

Dline = this group played terrible. I am still not sure how we held them to 6 pts without even getting a sniff of the QB. Outside of Hau'oli, no one could get off their blocks. WTF happened to Shirley & Hudson? In the Vegas bowl they were causing havoc in the ball field on several occasions. Littleton just looks over matched when their OT would get hands on him. Even Shelton was getting pushed around on the inside. Shocker alert....we have no depth on the inside of the line. Grade = F

LB = I was really disappointed in this group. They did make a lot of tackles, but very few negative plays. Maybe it the fact is coming back from the surgery, but Feeney was not flying around the field like last year. I think the group combined for 1 TFL. You would think with all the sweeps plays, someone could shoot through the gap on occasion. I just felt like they did just enough to have a solid game. Grade = B

DB = I gotta admit I was a little scared having Ducre and Shamburger out their full time. Of all the players last night I think these 2 exceeded expectations. Peters looks the part of a #1 CB, but man he plays aggressive. It will be interesting to see how he does against some of the top WRs in the conference. Parker has another solid night. Grade = A

S/T = Did I actually see a K get 2 TBs? And the coverage units looks halfway decent. Return game did not get many opportunities, but I think we may see our TD drought come to an end. Grade = B+

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    Pretty much agree with all of this. I knew you couldn't quit this place.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Shamburger and Ducre were pleasant surprises.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I wasn't disappointed in the LB's. Timu had 13 tackles, Shaq was everywhere, Fuimaono had a nice couple of plays, and Feeney had his name called a few times as well. All four of these guys are bonafied Pac 12 starters, and I think Peter Sirmon does a great job with these guys. If the OL got an A (I'd give them a B+), the LB's are an A.

I don't know if the DL was so bad they deserve an F. Maybe a C or D would be better. It is probably the most alarming position unit on the team.

At DB, Ducre played great. I wasn't really worried about him. He played pretty well towards the end of last year in the Nickel, is one of the fastest guys on the team. He also is jacked for a corner. I honestly think he will possibly get drafted. At the least, he will be in a training camp in the NFL next year.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,110
    Yeah, I'd give the OL a B+ because of the penalties and not getting a push on the 4th and 1 but they were much improved.
    D-Line gets a D. Every play it seems like the Boise OL was shoving them back 3 yards and there's no way that Baltazar and that other RB should have been ripping off as many 8 yard runs on draw plays. They did, however, stop Boise when they absolutely needed to, didn't allow a TD, and stopped them on the 4th and 1 so they get a little credit. Overall I agree with everything else though. The team as a whole looked great.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    building off of peter's agressive play, we can bitch about it all we want but pac-12 refs aren't gonna let the players play. he needs to back off
    Did that kid we got from Alabama (DB) play at all? I was too drunk to notice the finer details. I don't even know his name. I am bad at this.
  • QB - Nick Price is the best player on the field and will do anything to win. Enough said on that.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,110
    Swaye said:

Did that kid we got from Alabama (DB) play at all? I was too drunk to notice the finer details. I don't even know his name. I am bad at this.

Travell Dixon. From reading practice reports, it sounds like we ma have been sold a lemon with him.
    A lemon, or a Lemon Party?
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

Swaye said:

Travell Dixon. From reading practice reports, it sounds like we ma have been sold a lemon with him.
    I think Alabama wanted him at safety and he wanted to play corner. We thought he could be a corner. Turns out Alabama was right. He's a junior so lets hope we can move him to safety or at least coach him up to take over for Ducre next year.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    If we suffer injuries on the D-line man are we screwed. Let's hope everyone stays healthy
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,485 Swaye's Wigwam
    dhdawg said:

If we suffer injuries on the D-line man are we screwed. Let's hope everyone stays healthy

We will just convert more TE's to dt.

215 lb Josh Perkins will be a force
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622

RB = Sankey is so good at finding the hole and hitting it hard. The thing that still amazing me for a RB his size is how hard it is to bring him down. Sark needs to continue to feed him 25+ carries per game. Dwayne Washington looked really quick and I love how he ran hard after contact. Grade = A+

Dline = this group played terrible. I am still not sure how we held them to 6 pts without even getting a sniff of the QB. Outside of Hau'oli, no one could get off their blocks. WTF happened to Shirley & Hudson? In the Vegas bowl they were causing havoc in the ball field on several occasions. Littleton just looks over matched when their OT would get hands on him. Even Shelton was getting pushed around on the inside. Shocker alert....we have no depth on the inside of the line. Grade = F

Bishop Sankey's vision is as good as any Husky RB that I can remember. I thought Kenny James had really good vision, but Sankey's speed and quickness is way ahead of James.

Our D-line will cost us games this year...and I'm still not convinced about the O-line, despite the good game they had. Price will get hit this year. A LOT.
  • Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    edited September 2013
    Disagree about the O line. They get a C+ which is a huge improvment.

Three holding calls a chop block and three false starts.....sloppy. Many of Sankey's big runs were not due to big holes. He made something out of nothing several times. We have to see these guys with good games against the power houses before they deserve an A.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Swaye said:

I think Alabama wanted him at safety and he wanted to play corner. We thought he could be a corner. Turns out Alabama was right. He's a junior so lets hope we can move him to safety or at least coach him up to take over for Ducre next year.
    If he is already behind Wallace and Kelly, I doubt he has much of a chance to take over for Ducre.

• TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959

QB = Keith Price look mobile and confident. It was really impressive to see him come right back out after the INT and go 7-8 on their 1st long TD drive. You can tell he likes getting into a rhythm with the fast paced offense. Only bad news was that he appeared to be limping after a play in the mid 4th qtr. GRADE = A

WR = It actually nice to look at the box score and see the reception totals spread out. Mickens, Smith and Ross all looked very dangerous with the ball in their hands. The best performance by this group had to be the blocking, either on the bubble screens or in the run game. This is one of the reasons Oregon hits you with so many big plays is their WR group is so good at taking out their defender. Grade = A+

TE = Nice to see Perkins get a TD, but we did not see much else from the group due to our formations. Grade = Incomplete

Oline = we knew they could run block based on Sankey's performances last year, but could they give Price time to throw? I know it had a lot to do with the quick passing game, but it is still impressive to only giving up the 1 sack, which I think is on Sark for not calling a timeout the play before. Riva needs to clean up his game, and you can correct me if I am wrong, but I only remember 1 holding call. Grade = A

LB = I was really disappointed in this group. They did make a lot of tackles, but very few negative plays. Maybe it the fact is coming back from the surgery, but Feeney was not flying around the field like last year. I think the group combined for 1 TFL. You would think with all the sweeps plays, someone could shoot through the gap on occasion. I just felt like they did just enough to have a solid game. Grade = B

DB = I gotta admit I was a little scared having Ducre and Shamburger out their full time. Of all the players last night I think these 2 exceeded expectations. Peters looks the part of a #1 CB, but man he plays aggressive. It will be interesting to see how he does against some of the top WRs in the conference. Parker has another solid night. Grade = A

S/T = Did I actually see a K get 2 TBs? And the coverage units looks halfway decent. Return game did not get many opportunities, but I think we may see our TD drought come to an end. Grade = B+

Full blown doog.

Your retardo logic of how you were critical of Sark makes a nice appearance here. Look, Irish said the d line was bad, he's so objective. Those are doog grades on the offensive line and Price. Look, Irish said he was disappointed in the linebackers, he's so objective. Then gives a B grade.

Your worst post yet.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited September 2013

Full blown doog.

Your retardo logic of how you were critical of Sark makes a nice appearance here. Look, Irish said the d line was bad, he's so objective. Those are doog grades on the offensive line and Price. Look, Irish said he was disappointed in the linebackers, he's so objective. Then gives a B grade.

Your worst post yet.
    I'm with you on some of this but I don't see an A as way out of line for Price. He blew his first pass and missed Ross deep, but other than he was borderline flawless. He avoided the rush well, put the ball where his receivers could not only catch it but run with it afterwards, and generally made fantastic decisions. I'd probably give him an A- for the pick and the overthrow, but I don't think an A is indefensible at all, and I was a major Price critic last year and throughout the offseason. I'm not convinced he's back, but I loved what I saw from him. What would you give him?
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    dnc said:

Full blown doog.

Your worst post yet.
    I'm with you on some of this but I don't see an A as way out of line for Price. He blew his first pass and missed Ross deep, but other than he was borderline flawless. He avoided the rush well, put the ball where his receivers could not only catch it but run with it afterwards, and generally made fantastic decisions. I'd probably give him an A- for the pick and the overthrow, but I don't think an A is indefensible at all, and I was a major Price critic last year and throughout the offseason. I'm not convinced he's back, but I loved what I saw from him. What would you give him?
    Price has never been the problem. HTH.
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    dnc said:

Full blown doog.

Your worst post yet.
    B. I like Price. I watched every game in 2011 and only 3 last year so my impression of him is still pretty good. He just wasn't asked to do very much against Boise. He had a few nice throws, a couple bad ones and a bunch of screen passes. I'm not going to be the guy that drafts Tim Couch number 1 overall.

Level of competition factors into my grade also. We don't know how good Boise will end up being. We know they're well coached but we also know they have less talent.

I didn't see enough from Price that I thought resembled the kind of quarterback play that it takes to beat great teams. And I think that's what an A grade should be.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Full blown doog.

Your worst post yet.
    Price has never been the problem. HTH.
    He's never been THE problem but he was pretty damn bad the second half of last season. It got to the point where even when he had time he couldn't find open receivers. Thankfully, that's not the Price we saw yesterday.

Honk 'em