Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Maybe Peterman is What You Want Helfrich To Be

Comments

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

What safety net?

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Helfrich and Coker are different. This isnt Chip's roster. Coker took over a returning juggernaut. Other than Fife not being better than Harrington Oregon always comes up with a QB. Mariota is a system QB. Maybe the best ever but not irreplaceable. Rogers replaced Farve and Young replaced Montana.

Helfrich has proved a lot this year. Petersen hasn't. But AZ is also right in that no one was turning uw in one year.

Petersen has to do something next year to give us hope. Like finding a fucking QB that can play. And actually changing the loser culture even if they lose 4 or 5 games again

I Iike to point to extreme outliers like Montana to Young and Favre to Rodgers as if this happens everyday.

It's what I like to do.
    I could have listed every Oregon qb since 2007 instead

Me, laptops and your overrating of Jeremiah Masoli are havin a little snicker over that gem.
    Masoli was fine on the field and Oregon is a great organization like the Packers and the old Niners. Of course that concept is an outlier to a coog.
    You were the guy who thinks that Youngs. Rodgers and Mariotas grow on trees.

And then when pointed and laughed at, you say that Oregon's QB's have gotten better year after year since '07.

And then when shown the error of your ways there. You use comparisons to the Niners and Packer organizations and how a Coog wouldn't know what a good organization looks like.

All the while inferring that YOU do, because you had a good program 23 years ago.

As a Packer fan for the last 25 years, I think I'm more familiar with what a good organization looks like. More than an 'ol Duckfighter.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,732
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I didn't say any of that but good effort good job anyway
  • Options
    MuttzenMuttzen Member Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Peterman, its still not easy to know if he will succeed. Actually, by one of my better metrics, his first year is better than any of Sarks, believe it or not. Next year will tell us a lot, we should know by next season whether he is what we thought he could be. Starting with the QB situation.

Helfrich, I also don't know what to think. It's possible that Chip revamped the whole org and it will keep going at its current pace. I think the more likely outcome is they end up somewhere between the latter Bellotti era and the Chip era for a few years after Mariota graduates. Chip was a special coach, probably the best in the pac in the past decade with Harbaugh behind Carroll. They hired from within to try and eliminate as much shakeup as they could, don't rock the casbah. (Insert "I'm surprised that you're surprised that they are succeeding"). I don't think they will fall to pre -94 level anytime soon.
  • Options
    ThumpThump Member Posts: 793
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    AZDuck said:

Yet, under Peterman, this kid rode the pine behind Joe fucking Southwick, who, as you may recall from your games against Boise, sucks.

What do you have against kids that have urinated off of hotel balconies?
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Muttzen said:

Peterman, its still not easy to know if he will succeed. Actually, by one of my better metrics, his first year is better than any of Sarks, believe it or not. Next year will tell us a lot, we should know by next season whether he is what we thought he could be. Starting with the QB situation.

Helfrich, I also don't know what to think. It's possible that Chip revamped the whole org Petand it will keep going at its current pace. I think the more likely outcome is they end up somewhere between the latter Bellotti era and the Chip era for a few years after Mariota graduates. Chip was a special coach, probably the best in the pac in the past decade with Harbaugh behind Carroll. They hired from within to try and eliminate as much shakeup as they could, don't rock the casbah. (Insert "I'm surprised that you're surprised that they are succeeding"). I don't think they will fall to pre -94 level anytime soon.

So... taking a team from 0-12 to 7-6 is less than taking a 9-4 team with a gimme 4-0, to 8-6?

While Chip Kelly didn't accomplish as much as Carroll did in his time at Oregon, I'd have to say that he is the most influential coach of the last 15 years.

Half of the FBS, if not more, is trying to run some sort of version of his offense. Even Alabama runs a no huddle these days.

You never know these things, but I think Kelly would have accomplished everything that Carroll did if he stuck around a few more years.
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

So... taking a team from 0-12 to 7-6 is less than taking a 9-4 team with a gimme 4-0, to 8-6?

While Chip Kelly didn't accomplish as much as Carroll did in his time at Oregon, I'd have to say that he is the most influential coach of the last 15 years.

Half of the FBS, if not more, is trying to run some sort of version of his offense. Even Alabama runs a no huddle these days.

You never know these things, but I think Kelly would have accomplished everything that Carroll did if he stuck around a few more years.

It's a little more complicated than that, I analyzed the pac-12 games only in terms of score differential. It actually came out fairly well (teams that you think would be good were, teams that looked bad were bad). I haven't finished labeling some of these yet.

For UW, it came out like...
    Blue is weighted points for in pac 12 games, red is weighted points against. Formula was designed to eliminate outliers performances, good and bad.

Owen 12 wasn't an accurate measure of talent so much as it was a measure of the DGAF in the program.

Also, the first year alone isn't very good to judge a coach. If we expect Peterman to eventually be a Harbaugh, etc level coach, we should see improvement next year, regardless of losing players.

• Options
    Stanford... the best season were with Luck. You can see the improvement starting in Harbaugh's second year, even though they weren't good yet.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Mosster47 said:

Well all we know for certain is Boise is still doing what they've been doing since the late 90's and UW is still doing what they've been doing since the late 90's.

Nothing is concrete yet, but it's fair to assume Peterman is a system coach.

Like Rich Rod?
    :-*
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Shaw didn't make the final

Chizik won a ring.

Making a final don't mean shit.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Chizik won a ring.

Kinda like wins and losses :smiley:
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Jave said:

Who gives a fuck what youthink about Petersen duck. Petersen didnt get a heisman qb giftwrapped like Helfrich. Helfrich is Larry fucking Coker

Only Helfrich recruited Mariota to Oregon............so theres that.

Sark recruited Mariota and he considered Washington seriously
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Chizik won a ring.

No but recruiting and winning with freshmen and sophomores does. You need to dig deeper. Helfrich is a different case which is what AZ was saying. Not every coach is Coker
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Chizik won a ring.

Boob can you just shut your cunthole for a change? 8-20 posts per thread is overkill. Spend a little more time warming skin with Thomas and a little less time here. Nobody should be so psycho attatched to a message board. Its not normal, healthy or appropriate for a grown "man".
  • Options
    MortonhuskyMortonhusky Member Posts: 54
    5 Up Votes Testing 1 5 Awesomes First Comment
    AZDuck said:

I think we are always bashing hippies here

NOT COOL!!

The Dirty Fuckin Hippies Were Right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8964iLV2M6w

• Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    My two cents is that great coaches don't really give a crap about system. They play the hand their dealt to the best of their ability. When Harbaugh saw his best chance at winning in San Francisco was running a zone-read, he ran it. And if Chip Kelly thought he could win a Super Bowl using the Stanford seven OL set, he'd do it.

With that said, Peterman seemingly spent the entire year trying to figure out how to turn the club sandwich he was delivered into a chicken salad sandwich. Guys like Ross and Mickens aren't perfect players, but they have strengths. And you win by playing to your guys' strengths, not by trying to hammer square pegs into round holes.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,898
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Coker at Miami:
    12-0 (NC)
    12-1
    11-2
    9-3
    9-3
    7-6

It'll start to show up next year. Really it showed up in Helfired's first year. Kelly doesn't get blown out by AZ and isn't down by three touchdowns to Stanford.
  • Options
    SevenElevenSevenEleven Member Posts: 318
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    F
    haie said:

AZDuck said:

haie said:

Petersen goes 8-6 with Sark's roster in year 1.

Helfrich makes it to the natty with Chip's roster in year 2.

What inherent truths were we supposed to pull out of these results again?

All rank speculation at this point, but the "Helfrich is Chip paint fumes + Mariota" routine is lazy. What has Peterman done to improve the program in Seattle to date? If you look at another similar rebuild at Texas, you can see Strong having done a 180 with the defense and cut tons of dead wood even if the team still has a ways to go. UW looks mentally weak, the QB development was atrocious. I find it hard to believe there isn't one serviceable D-1A QB on that roster.
    There's not some magic badass powder that emanates from the fucking blue field that keeps Boise being Boise while coaches leave and fail. That is why Mosster is so fucking stupid, and anyone else who tries to connect Petersen to Cudder and Hookins. UW is much more supportive and fruitful for building a program than fucking Colorado and ASU, for reasons that have been iterated here over and over.

It's not a secret, Boise has a winning culture, just like Oregon. It's a matter of changing the culture of UW from one of losing, and that's fucking hard to do. Hence good coaches coming in cleaning house while having mediocre to bad years in year 1. Helfrich hasn't had to change a culture or even deal with any adversity at that program yet.
    Who instilled the winning culture at Boise? It wasn't Peterman. This is the first time this has fallen on his shoulders and so far, he has not shown much ability to do so.

As long as Slingblade is at UO, he probably won't have to and if for some reason he goes elsewhere to rebuild, i would expect him to struggle at it.
  • Options
    JaveJave Member Posts: 43
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Testing 1

Jave said:

Who gives a fuck what youthink about Petersen duck. Petersen didnt get a heisman qb giftwrapped like Helfrich. Helfrich is Larry fucking Coker

Was just pointing out that Helfrich was the coach who found Mariota, not Kelly. At one point we had both Mariota and Manziel committed so Helfs (Oregons) ability to find quality quarterbacks is pretty good. Of course Oregon won't be contending for the national championship every year. Outside of Alabama no one can sustain that level of success, but I have no doubts Oregon will continue to contend for the Pac-12 championship most years, even once Mariota leaves.

While I don't think that Peterson is the goddly coach you all had hoped, getting rid of Sark will = at lest 2-3 wins a season. Sark is a special needs coach and I'm still lol'ing at USC for hiring the bumbling idiot.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Jave said:

Jave said:

Was just pointing out that Helfrich was the coach who found Mariota, not Kelly. At one point we had both Mariota and Manziel committed so Helfs (Oregons) ability to find quality quarterbacks is pretty good. Of course Oregon won't be contending for the national championship every year. Outside of Alabama no one can sustain that level of success, but I have no doubts Oregon will continue to contend for the Pac-12 championship most years, even once Mariota leaves.

While I don't think that Peterson is the goddly coach you all had hoped, getting rid of Sark will = at lest 2-3 wins a season. Sark is a special needs coach and I'm still lol'ing at USC for hiring the bumbling idiot.

Sark was just trying to steal Chip's recruit.