Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

There is legitimate reason to be excited about the Husky defense

GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
Sark and his merry band of yes-men makes me lament our offense, but year two under Wilcox, Sermon, Tosh and co. with a loaded LB corps, what should be a decent group of DBs, and Jake willing a healthy Shelton -- the defense should be pretty fun to watch.

Wait we probably won't have any modicum of a pass rush though, huh? Fuck. Nevermind.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    No DL plus with Sark running this hurry up bullshit our defense is going to get tired and worn out during this games.

I expect a regression. Like Race said with UW just when you think you've fixed one problem and moved onto the next another problem pops up.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,110
    I'm frightened that a guy who has sat out 2 years with injury (Jamora/Kikane or whatever) has already leap-frogged Littleton,who last year leap-frogged our 1st round draft pick Josh Shirley for the rush end position. Why are we using this made-up position if we have no one who is any good at it? It's like playing with 10 guys on defense in exchange for 2 sacks a game
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    The key for the defense is getting a pass rush. Without Trufant & Glenn, you really need to have a better pass rush to have the same pass D numbers as last season. The projected depth charts show that Joe Mathis could be starting as he said he would. Evan Hudson is also potentially a starter as is Jamora. There are some nice pieces there. Shelton is an all-pac 12 guy. Shirley and Jamora are productive pass rushers. Andrew Hudson had 4.5 sacks the last 6 games. I think the DL could be a positive surprise and we will see a better pass rush.

There are a lot of good pieces on the defense but the big issue will be finding the best 11 to play against the likes of Arizona, Oregon, and Arizona St. Against Stanford & OSU, you can sub more often and that benefits our D because we have enough personnel to fit the specific situation. However, against the others you can't do that. For example, it renders guys like Jamora and Shirley ineffective (good on passing downs but weak on rushing downs). Tutogi is good against Stanford but worthless against the other teams. Fuimaono has had a great camp but we'll have to see how they can fit him in.

The defense was good at home so I'm not too worried about Boise or Arizona. Oregon and Arizona St are going to be trouble for the D while UCLA, OSU & Stanford will tell us if we have a top 20 defense or simply an above average defense.

Hopefully Sark's shitty management of the offense doesn't tire out the defense. This is potentially a huge concern.
    The key for the defense is getting a pass rush. Without Trufant & Glenn, you really need to have a better pass rush to have the same pass D numbers as last season. The projected depth charts show that Joe Mathis could be starting as he said he would. Evan Hudson is also potentially a starter as is Jamora. There are some nice pieces there. Shelton is an all-pac 12 guy. Shirley and Jamora are productive pass rushers. Andrew Hudson had 4.5 sacks the last 6 games. I think the DL could be a positive surprise and we will see a better pass rush.

What does it say about our program in year five that we have a guy who was playing TE the last 3 years now starting on our DL along with a true frosh starting on our DL. Then another guy who hasn't played a snap in two years also starting on our DL.

Couple that with our lack of NFL prospects on the OL and that is why I'm not so excited about this year. Sark has neglected the beef on both sides of the ball and this year it is really going to show.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

What does it say about our program in year five that we have a guy who was playing TE the last 3 years now starting on our DL along with a true frosh starting on our DL. Then another guy who hasn't played a snap in two years also starting on our DL.

Couple that with our lack of NFL prospects on the OL and that is why I'm not so excited about this year. Sark has neglected the beef on both sides of the ball and this year it is really going to show.

If Sark's steakeater (lol!) neglect wasn't glaringly obvious long before this season then I really can't help you.

dnc said:

If Sark's steakeater (lol!) neglect wasn't glaringly obvious long before this season then I really can't help you.

It has been obvious but this year I feel like for once this team has some expectations so when we go 7-6 again it will be glaring.

This reminds me of those 2002 and 2003 teams that were always so hyped up because they had great skill players but no line doomed them.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    edited August 2013

There are a lot of good pieces on the defense but the big issue will be finding the best 11 to play against the likes of Arizona, Oregon, and Arizona St. Against Stanford & OSU, you can sub more often and that benefits our D because we have enough personnel to fit the specific situation. However, against the others you can't do that. For example, it renders guys like Jamora and Shirley ineffective (good on passing downs but weak on rushing downs). Tutogi is good against Stanford but worthless against the other teams. Fuimaono has had a great camp but we'll have to see how they can fit him in.

The defense was good at home so I'm not too worried about Boise or Arizona. Oregon and Arizona St are going to be trouble for the D while UCLA, OSU & Stanford will tell us if we have a top 20 defense or simply an above average defense.

Hopefully Sark's shitty management of the offense doesn't tire out the defense. This is potentially a huge concern.

Good points. I think a lot of people didn't appreciate how good Glenn was for our defense last year. He will not be easily replaced.
  • Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    edited August 2013
    There is No reason for optimism. Anything else I can help you with?

(Shelton is the only good/proven/healthy linemen. The LBs and DBs may be good units, but it won't mean much without linemen.)
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 effing years and we've had 1 decent interior DL. O-N-E.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

It's like what Race says. One things fixed but there is a leak somewhere else...

Accurate QB but no OL depth to protect him.

Better defense but worse offense.

Playmakers and depth at the skill spots but questionable OL & play calling.

More than a handful of good players on the D but huge holes at safety and DT- the two most important D positions.

Improved recruiting overall but no success in recruiting OL.
  • Mooser42Mooser42 Member Posts: 763
    Ive heard that next year will be a bumper crop for lineman on both sides of the ball, so ignoring them for the last 5 years isnt that big of a deal.
    Mooser42 said:

Ive heard that next year will be a bumper crop for lineman on both sides of the ball, so ignoring them for the last 5 years isnt that big of a deal.

I keep hearing that from doogs too and I'm like gee where have I heard that one before?

• ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    There hasn't been any pass rush at all since the advent of recruiting mostly guys with unpronounceable names. What we've needed for years is more recruiting from where the bullets are flying in LA and Chicago.
    edited August 2013
    Yep. Everyone of us half wits have high school level football smarts. As you say, how can the Dud, aka Cream Puff not know this?

His fixation with wideouts is laughable. First of all, a team constructed as below doesn't need to field more that one than can catch the ball plus a couple of guys for depth. Bigger issue, he doesn't even recruit well at WR. We have a bakers dozen of these guys and one, maybe two or any good. That's as much about development as talent.

Kasen may not be fast, but this inability to create separation is a total failure in coaching. There have been plenty of good to great wideouts that weren't fast. They had good hands, ran perfect routes, created separation and were tough. Outside of the hands, the rest is practice and coaching.

The 1984 team would have one the championship in a BCS world. They didn't have anybody with Kasen's talent. The guys from 84 were coached to play to their absolute maximum potential and were better on the field at crunch time.

(Sorry about getting off the defensive topic.)
    Swaye said:

The strategy for building a football team is simple. The keys are these:

1- Develop a fantastic offensive line.

The other number #1 - Develop a fantastic defensive line.

2- Get a good QB and develop him.

The rest is mostly icing on the cake, really. Toss in a decent tailback, a killer backer and a headhunter DB and you're Top 10 or close to it.

Simple formula, but tricky to execute. Our problem is Cream Puff is clueless about the formula. How can that be when he worked Carol?

Everyone knows this, and yet it has eluded Sark for 5 fucking years.

QB is the most important single position on the field. For position groups it goes OL as number 1, and DL a close second. Everything else is a distant third.

I am a fucking idiot and I know this. How the fuck does a guy getting paid over 2 million per to do this for living still need to figure it out?
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

Yep. Everyone of us half wits have high school level football smarts. As you say, how can the Dud, aka Cream Puff not know this?

His fixation with wideouts is laughable. First of all, a team constructed as below doesn't need to field more that one than can catch the ball plus a couple of guys for depth. Bigger issue, he doesn't even recruit well at WR. We have a bakers dozen of these guys and one, maybe two or any good. That's as much about development as talent.

Kasen may not be fast, but this inability to create separation is a total failure in coaching. There have been plenty of good to great wideouts that weren't fast. They had good hands, ran perfect routes, created separation and were tough. Outside of the hands, the rest is practice and coaching.

The 1984 team would have one the championship in a BCS world. They didn't have anybody with Kasen's talent. The guys from 84 were coached to play to their absolute maximum potential and were better on the field at crunch time.

Swaye said:

The strategy for building a football team is simple. The keys are these:

1- Develop a fantastic offensive line.

The other number #1 - Develop a fantastic defensive line.

2- Get a good QB and develop him.

The rest is mostly icing on the cake, really. Toss in a decent tailback, a killer backer and a headhunter DB and you're Top 10 or close to it.

Simple formula, but tricky to execute. Our problem is Cream Puff is clueless about the formula. How can that be when he worked Carol?

Everyone knows this, and yet it has eluded Sark for 5 fucking years.

QB is the most important single position on the field. For position groups it goes OL as number 1, and DL a close second. Everything else is a distant third.

I am a fucking idiot and I know this. How the fuck does a guy getting paid over 2 million per to do this for living still need to figure it out?
    Exactly. Michael Irvin wasn't fast, but who wouldn't want that guy on their team? Legit HOF guy who ran great routes, pushed off without getting flagged like it was his job, mastered the sideline, and caught everything thrown his way, made huge play after huge play and did it all while trash talking eveyone and playing with TONS of swagger...all while banging out hookers and smoking enough weed to make Cheech blush.

Well, Kasen has the weed smoking down...maybe with some coaching he could do the other shit...
    Nor was Steve Largent fast. He worked around it pretty well if Hall of Fame means anything.

Michael Irvin was good at blow but it didn't stop his thug personality from showing up on the field. Just make Kasen run plenty of gassers when he spaces out and he'll find the path to true enlightenment. Oh, but that would take some balls and toughness from the coaching staff.
  • chrisvashonchrisvashon Member Posts: 627

It is astounding that a true freshman may waltz into a starting position on the DL.

I remember when doogman posters were making fun of this kid because he predicted he would start. I goes JoJo knew the roster (shocker) better than the doogman crew.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

It is astounding that a true freshman may waltz into a starting position on the DL.

I remember when doogman posters were making fun of this kid because he predicted he would start. I goes JoJo knew the roster (shocker) better than the doogman crew.
    I'm sure Mathis will be a good one (unless Sark fucks up his development as per usual), but it is a HUGE indictment of our program to have almost ANY freshman show up and get significant time on either line in year 5.