Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

How often do you hit the "gym" ?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,016 Founders Club

How often do you hit the "gym" ? 20 votes

I'm crushing WODs Mike Damone Style (i.e., almost every day)
15%
biak1DooglesBob_C 3 votes
A few times a week
50%
whlinderMad_SonhaiehuskyhooliganFenderbender123Pitchfork51YellowSnowEl_KBleachedAnusDawghopeless 10 votes
I get some exercise (e.g., running, walking, pushups, pull ups, sit ups, etc) but never go to a gym
30%
Fire_Marshall_BillchuckJoeyFishpo31houseofpain247wooderson92 6 votes
You can't "pull" fat as John Daly used to say (aka NEVER)
5%
CFetters_Nacho_Lover 1 vote

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,016 Founders Club
    A few times a week

Bulk of my fitness comes from a lot of Mt biking, skiing, and row peter puffer machine in my garage. But I try to hit the cuntry club gym twice a week to lift the heavy stuff. VO2 Max and muscle mass are the 2 leading indicators of what your life span is gonna be. I got the former covered in spades and am good enough at the latter.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,640 Founders Club

I was a three times a week guy until covid

Then i took up walking

• huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,347 Swaye's Wigwam
    A few times a week

I had a routine before covid and have been struggling since to get anywhere close to what that was. I get a C for effort. A lot of asian dong at my gym. 12 koreans 1 Hardcore Husky resident terrorist / uber driver.

A few times a week

If it saves one life (TITTT)! Walking is about the best old people exercise there is. Maybe mix in some pushups if possible. It amazing to travel to London or NYC and see very few if any fatties. Still gotta walk a couple miles a day to get around those towns to live life.

I tend to think gyms are pretty yuck from a sanitary standpoint. In a perfect word I'd have an in home set up with a squat/bench rack, but alas I'm too pour and like @CFetters_Nacho_Lover I think garages are for parking cars an not home gyms.

The rich MILFs are a nice amenity at our cuntry club gym.

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,612 Standard Supporter
    edited June 3
    A few times a week

I try to get to the gym 4-5 tims per week. Gym is for row peter puffer, leg weights in particular, certain arm weights and other ab/back exercises. I also try to run once a week or so, tennis once a week or so, walk the golf course and have arm weights at home (bench + arm + back + shoulders).

Oh and yoga, 4-5x per week in the morning on a youtube video.

A few times a week

Having an erg in the garage (and 900 miles of Mt Bike single track out the back door) cuts down the need on going to gym.

My Erg is UW surplus bought from the UW Rowboat Team. I bought in 2019 when it was 5 years old. I was trying to help @PurpleBaze get one in 2020 but Covid budget cuts caused row boat to pull back in the used erg purchase program for a few years.

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,612 Standard Supporter
    A few times a week

I've thought about buying a used surplus one but the gym is literally a 90 second drive or a 7 minute walk.

A few times a week

UW's program for alumni was a pretty sweet deal and good way to kick in a few bucks to help the squad.

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,945 Swaye's Wigwam
    I get some exercise (e.g., running, walking, pushups, pull ups, sit ups, etc) but never go to a gym

I heard gyms are where the gays go to meet tight body gays. @huskyhooligan, true?

I get a fair amount between work, golf and taking the dogs out to play. I wouldn't say I'm in shape, but I'm in better shape than your average, fat old man

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,197
    A few times a week

I have a home gym setup with heavy weights and all that. Also recently bought a bike to keep up with my oldest and it's good for trails and cruising the roads near home at a decent rate of speed. Three days a week is the minimum, usually 4.

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,547 Swaye's Wigwam
    A few times a week

Switched to a gym that was a lot nicer than my previous place except for the fact that it doesn't have an indoor track. Already kind of regretting that decision. Bikes/machines are lame.

• Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,391

Ten years or so ago I was 4-5 days a week in the gym, mostly spinning…we moved, job change to more physical work, and future hip and knee replacements have squelched that. Now it’s hoofing it, although we have been discussing joining a club with an indoor pool to get some swimming going. BTW, getting old sucks…

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,529 Swaye's Wigwam

If I think of exercising, I injure something.

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,953 Founders Club
    You can't "pull" fat as John Daly used to say (aka NEVER)

Huh?

• BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,028

Every day. Used to be generally a full body circuit most days but then changed to upper body/leg days with cardio days sprinkled in when my kids started working out with me. Today is weighted dips and pullups day

A few times a week

Indoor track? Vantucky is getting soft!!

A lot of bikes and machines are lame. Ellipticals and a lot of stationary bikes are crap.

Intervals in a good stair climber (don't hold the handles like a pussy) will kick yer butt. The Peleton is a great hack for getting in shape for Mt Bike season. And the Concept II Rowing Machine remains the greatest single piece of fitness equipment every invented. If all one did was erg, push ups and some type of squats you're basically covering all your bases.

A few times a week

You still doing the long distance erg work these days?

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,529 Swaye's Wigwam

Did a track day last year in 100 degree weather. Riders were packing up and dropping like flies due to the heat, and I joined them after lunch, putting only three sessions in. Those three sessions still kicked my ass. Got home early enough because of that to have a BBQ with my brother's family. Ended up racing my 6-year-old niece across my yard and back, giving her a huge head start. Made it halfway across my yard, POP POP in consecutive steps, and down I went. Partial tears in both hamstrings. Racing a 6yo girl.

Fast forward to February, I'm finally feeling fit enough in the legs to get back on the C2. Row a fairly lazy 5K and survive. Two days later, I wake up with no left arm. Dead, numb, random shots of some of the worst pain I've felt. So I'm in line for cervical spine surgery to fuse C6/C7 and take pressure off the nerve. Still can't hold a phone to my ear for 20 seconds with my left arm without getting tired.

So I'm pretty much just a fat fuck. I've put on 15 pounds since tearing my hamstrings. No riding this year, no working on the house, no C2, no mountain biking, no stranger in the shower…

• BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,028

I'll do 10k from time to time but I don't use the erg much anymore. Certainly no more marathons.

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,547 Swaye's Wigwam
    A few times a week

For my age and build track sprints and free weights are all I've ever really cared about. And maybe military press. Machines and vegging out on a Peloton/treadmill aren't my thing. The other reason I even care about a gym is pool laps which seem more efficient than doing all of the other previously mentioned things.