Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

It’s 2017 again

LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,118
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
Can’t help but see the parallels between now and after the Peach bowl.

- UW just finished a miracle run bringing themselves back to the national conversation
- Our stars took us the distance but we saw how we need true depth and a couple more dudes to get over the hump
- Lingering questions if our brand/style of football is good enough to win it all
- Emotional/transitional core of the team is leaving, new leaders need to emerge
- We know we now have tier 1 coaches, need to see if we have tier 1 recruiters/org.

Kalen has the energy and drive to push the program forward in a way that Petersen just didn’t, but we still need to assess the coaches and broader org if it’s ready to consistently be here. NIL/recruiting needs to take a step forward and be an unquestioned differentiator not just try to keep up. We will not have enough talent fall on our lap through local or legacy guys year in year out. Not enough diamonds in the rough to be tier 1 in a crowded new conference.

2017-19 didn’t play out the way we wanted or expected, and the road forward is more daunting and unknown than it was then. Lets see how busy Kalen and the AD gets this offseason

Winners win in January they don’t take vacation

Comments

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,924
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Who on the D staff would you consider tier 1? Can’t subscribe to that one but think you nailed everything else.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,283
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Excellent poast.

Still never really figured out why the offense in 2016 and moving forward was so clunky; probably a combo of Pete philosophy and skill limitations. Definitely good players on that offense; the overall skill level of the offense in that time period I think was higher than the current skill level of our defense.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Having Courtney Morgan I think will prove to a big, positive difference from 2017. Great Athletic article about how he recruited the Michigan class (especially the DL) that beat us(?). He’s organizing the roster and targeting recruits across HS and the portal. With the higher profile will come better players.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    We will be 8-4 next year
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    2017 had a lot more returning talent than 2024. If we can have a 2017 like season it will bode really well going forward.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,533
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

We will be 8-4 next year

I think next year depends on how much of a wizard DeBoer really is. I'm pulling for 10-2 as a realistic goal. I was cocky about UW's scheme being able to throw over and around the Big 10 but Monday has me really questioning that, especially on the road.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,983
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    AEB said:

Having Courtney Morgan I think will prove to a big, positive difference from 2017. Great Athletic article about how he recruited the Michigan class (especially the DL) that beat us(?). He’s organizing the roster and targeting recruits across HS and the portal. With the higher profile will come better players.

Recruiting was not our problem with Pete after 2016. It was his shitty offense and tightness in big games. Recruiting seems to be a bigger issue now and it has more to do with money.
  • Options
    sinceredawgsinceredawg Member Posts: 780
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Strengths are flipped, we have tier 1 offense, defense trying to keep up. In 17 it was a tier 1 defense and ultimately a clunky offense.

Not sure this is a valid conclusion. We had more talent on offense, it seemed. But there were too many games where it was our defense that won it, or kept us in it.
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,989
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Next year is clearly a transition year whilst waiting for the Mack show. 10 wins is feasible but that comes down to KDB genius (or not). There are more pieces missing/being lost compared to the 2017 team. Not a lot of younger guys flashing this year. Germie and ?
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    FireCohen said:

We will be 8-4 next year

5-7

@MikeDamone
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited January 10
    Either way it’s a big show me season… try to bolster against regressing, see how we can leverage success into recruiting and KDB installing his program even further

After 2016 I’m sure none of us thought that was the Petersen high point, in hindsight it was. Let’s see how KDB takes the next step.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited January 10

FireCohen said:

We will be 8-4 next year

I think next year depends on how much of a wizard DeBoer really is. I'm pulling for 10-2 as a realistic goal. I was cocky about UW's scheme being able to throw over and around the Big 10 but Monday has me really questioning that, especially on the road.
    I was on the same boat at 10-2, but that was with Polk returning. With Polk leaving 8-4 more realistic
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,924
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

We will be 8-4 next year

Top 12 finish or GFYS deboner.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,533
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I hate it but really feels like WE were in a much better place personnel wise going into 2017 and that's not even knowing how truly great Vita was gonna be. I don't think Deboer is burnt out like Petersen was though and he's not gonna ruin his QB the way that regime did with Browning.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Agreed 17 had better pieces coming back and had a higher ceiling as a result.

My point is that it’s now program building time. We need to recruit at an elite level now. Petersen struggled to convert 2016 into consistent talent and depth, this is a big show me off-season for KDB and the staff. I expect results on the field taking a step back this fall, however are we putting the pieces in place to get back to this point and go further.

If Dannen tries to nickel and dime, KDB shrivel dicks in recruiting, and/or we try to make this current style of football permanent then TPIO.

We failed to convert 2016 isn’t blue blood zone, eyes are on Dannen and KDB to cash in this equity