Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Leveling Down Update

13»

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

FireCohen said:

penis is a 6 star QB....last generational QB was Tui

The portal has completely changed the game. Saban hates the portal for exactly this reason. I remember a time before scholarship limits when schools like Alabama would use excess scholarships to take kids off the street, basically cut out the competition. Can't do anything remotely close to that now. Now, a school like UW can instantly grow a 6 star Penis. Good times I say.
    What’s bad for Satan is good for America.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,236
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

FireCohen said:

The portal has completely changed the game. Saban hates the portal for exactly this reason. I remember a time before scholarship limits when schools like Alabama would use excess scholarships to take kids off the street, basically cut out the competition. Can't do anything remotely close to that now. Now, a school like UW can instantly grow a 6 star Penis. Good times I say.
    What’s bad for Satan is good for America.
    Agree
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,236
    Founders Club

Florida State played 17 transfers, Clemson 0

This is college football

If you get REAL 5 stars out of high school there is a far greater chance you will lose them in the portal. What if UW had a stud 5 star freshman receiver this year - he'd be gone after never seeing the field

I actually do trust DeBoer to do both and do both well. But I think Portal acquisition is more important

Couldn't agree with this more.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Once you actually see what a player looks like in a college game all the conjecture about how good they could be (the star ratings) becomes moot pretty quick.

Jacob Bandes is a good example of someone who was ranked high as a 4* but we have ample evidence that he is a middling quality player. Tybo is the opposite.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,573
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Canadawg said:

wobidbus said:

We have something the 5 star factories don't: Big Penix Energy!

If we win the Pac 12 and make it the Natty game, it will be the biggest indictment of TBS cult in human history.
    If we win the Pac 12 and make it to the Natty game, Boner will have his pick of the portal and the high school recruiting should level up more than enough.

TCU is finally up to Rutgers and Maryland levels!

@Sandra6
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

FireCohen said:

Edit: By the way, the best player to ever play at UW, IMHO, was Stan Empterman. That guy was a fucking beast and a number one overall NFL draft pick. As a D Lineman. And as we all know, he was a three star recruit!!!!111111!!! Stars matter to some degree, fuck you up kick ass on the field eye test play matters more.
    2 star
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,909
    Founders Club

I used to think I understood recruiting and star rankings but I just don’t. I’ve given up.

I can't tell the difference between 3 and 4 stars anymore.

And I assume any 5 star we get (from WA state) will probably suck.
    Was Reggie Williams the last 5 star who went to UW and actually played like one?
    Shaq was and generally played like one. I think Reggie was.
    Shaq played like one. Good call. Those teams were mostly forgettable. Could have used him during the Manu/Wellington era.
    Shaq and Reggie are the only clearcut 5-5 guys signed by UW. Was ASJ a 5 star in the end? If so I think he can be added.

Instate during recruiting rankings I feel like a lot haven't panned out or at least underwhelmed:

Heaps - Bust. Original JT Daniels.
    Max Browne - Massive bust
    Eason - Underwhelmed.
    Jonathan Stewart - 5*-5*
    Reggie - 5*-5*
    Emeka - 5*-5*
    Kavario - Bust
    ASJ - 5*-5* but still kind of underwhelming
    Schilling - 5*-4*
    Garnett - 5*-5* I guess but I'll stand by that he was kind of just decent and McCaffrey was making plays and with Stanford's OLine pedigree at the time he slotted into a bunch of accolades then Chipper reached for him like way before anyone else would have.
    Sarrell - underwhelmed big time
    Taylor Mays - 5*-5*
    JTT - Jury is out. Let's see how the next 1-2 years actually go
    Sam Huard - Yikes fucking yikes - has there ever been a five star recruit and that high of a five star who ended up in FCS, and that quickly?
    Smalls - More yikes - can't crack the two deeps on Colorado's atrocious Line

Locker and Budda should have been 5*-5*s
    Not an in state guy but another 5* guy UW landed was Donny Mateaki and he played the equivalent of Cameron Elisaras career which was like a a Damian Turpin career
    Still working at UW

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

I used to think I understood recruiting and star rankings but I just don’t. I’ve given up.

I can't tell the difference between 3 and 4 stars anymore.

And I assume any 5 star we get (from WA state) will probably suck.
    Was Reggie Williams the last 5 star who went to UW and actually played like one?
    Shaq was and generally played like one. I think Reggie was.
    Shaq played like one. Good call. Those teams were mostly forgettable. Could have used him during the Manu/Wellington era.
    Shaq and Reggie are the only clearcut 5-5 guys signed by UW. Was ASJ a 5 star in the end? If so I think he can be added.

Instate during recruiting rankings I feel like a lot haven't panned out or at least underwhelmed:

Heaps - Bust. Original JT Daniels.
    Max Browne - Massive bust
    Eason - Underwhelmed.
    Jonathan Stewart - 5*-5*
    Reggie - 5*-5*
    Emeka - 5*-5*
    Kavario - Bust
    ASJ - 5*-5* but still kind of underwhelming
    Schilling - 5*-4*
    Garnett - 5*-5* I guess but I'll stand by that he was kind of just decent and McCaffrey was making plays and with Stanford's OLine pedigree at the time he slotted into a bunch of accolades then Chipper reached for him like way before anyone else would have.
    Sarrell - underwhelmed big time
    Taylor Mays - 5*-5*
    JTT - Jury is out. Let's see how the next 1-2 years actually go
    Sam Huard - Yikes fucking yikes - has there ever been a five star recruit and that high of a five star who ended up in FCS, and that quickly?
    Smalls - More yikes - can't crack the two deeps on Colorado's atrocious Line

Locker and Budda should have been 5*-5*s
    Not an in state guy but another 5* guy UW landed was Donny Mateaki and he played the equivalent of Cameron Elisaras career which was like a a Damian Turpin career
    Still working at UW

Hope he's more effective developing than when he played
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,608
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    edited September 2023
    I think the 4* ratio argument was a proxy for a team that had a higher probability of having quality contributors, based on evaluations done when kids were 16.

After a year or two in a P5 system those evaluations mean nothing. What percentage of 5* players are below average contributors? If it's even 3 or 4 that's a bad ratio.

A portal evaluation is probably a more accurate and efficient system.

Penix, Polk, Dillon Johnson, Nixon, Muhammad...Pretty good hit rate compared to the 4 and 5 stars of the last 4 cycles IMO.
  • Options
    vadawgvadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 466
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No. Fuck, we’re so over the top Doogin on this team it’s nuts.

They’re good. Talent on D isn’t there…not even close. We’ve played dreg.

Wow. Just wow

Looks like we're down to 27 x 4 Stars "In Progress"

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Only Clempson has won the whole thing in the CFP era with less than the magic number or 40 (they had 39 in 2016).

TCU has 17 last year. I don't recall were Oregon was in 2014 but it was low 30's, right?

Can UW be the first to do it with well below 40? We had 21 in 2016 including 4 star QB Jake Browning.

• Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    Swaye's Wigwam
    vadawg said:

No. Fuck, we’re so over the top Doogin on this team it’s nuts.

They’re good. Talent on D isn’t there…not even close. We’ve played dreg.

Wow. Just wow

Looks like we're down to 27 x 4 Stars "In Progress"

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Only Clempson has won the whole thing in the CFP era with less than the magic number or 40 (they had 39 in 2016).

TCU has 17 last year. I don't recall were Oregon was in 2014 but it was low 30's, right?

Can UW be the first to do it with well below 40? We had 21 in 2016 including 4 star QB Jake Browning.

I have had many concerns about my beloved defence but Jordan Perryman was the injury that kept us? from winning the conference and 13 games last year. This year he wouldn't be in the 2 deeps.