Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Leveling Down Update

Comments

• Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited September 2023

There are 4 teams in the AP Top-15 that are not Top-15 in 2023 composite talent.

UNC-17
    FSU-20
    UW-26
    Utah-33

Three are Top-10 with UNC #15.

Miami and Florida are the Top-15 composite talent teams currently outside the Top-15.

TAM and Clempson are by far the biggest busts with the #4 & #5 composite talent and currently unranked.

LIPO.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

There are 4 teams in the AP Top-15 that are not Top-15 in 2023 composite talent.

UNC-17
    FSU-20
    UW-26
    Utah-33

Miami and Florida are the Top-15 composite talent teams currently outside the Top-15.

TAM and Clempson are by far the biggest busts with the #4 & #5 composite talent and currently unranked.

LIPO.

It's not really a question of whether you'd want to take the current UW route. The answer is no, for me at least.. I'd rather have 50+ blue chip HS recruits on the roster supplemented by the portal.

It's really about whether or not it will stay this way and whether Deboer can sustain top 10 performance by recruiting top 25 HS talent. Most seem to think so. I think so too but agree with lipo (not that there's a choice).
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    chuck said:

46XiJCAB said:

UNC-17
    FSU-20
    UW-26
    Utah-33

LIPO.

It's not really a question of whether you'd want to take the current UW route. The answer is no, for me at least.. I'd rather have 50+ blue chip HS recruits on the roster supplemented by the portal.

It's really about whether or not it will stay this way and whether Deboer can sustain top 10 performance by recruiting top 25 HS talent. Most seem to think so. I think so too but agree with lipo (not that there's a choice).
    That theory will be tested in the next couple of years for uw. I'm on the side of top HS talent playing early and having them for 3 years, while sprinkling in solid players from the portal to fill gaps. Oregon's best LB is most likely a portal guy who hasn't seen the field due to injury so it's a gamble too. Hasn't hurt them, yet.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,372
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2023
    It will be chinteresting to see how many high school recruits don’t end up portaling. Seems like the odds are stacked against them sticking to their commitment.

And it’s probably not even close.

Good progrums will have to use the portal bigly to stay good.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    chuck said:

46XiJCAB said:

UNC-17
    FSU-20
    UW-26
    Utah-33

LIPO.

How does the #16 stack up?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,043
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kaepsknee said:

chuck said:

46XiJCAB said:

UNC-17
    FSU-20
    UW-26
    Utah-33

LIPO.

How does the #16 stack up?
    Kewg at 57 but had a tough 4th quarter against Beav who is 67.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

This is pro-football. Hth.

The portal>recruiting. Never would have thought it would have come to this but here we are, Recruit the top kids, keep in touch if they sign somewhere else. Roster mgmt.

Penix, Muhammad, Bernard (took him back). Keep winning and there will be more kids--college game ready--desirous to plug in with winning coaches.

Looks like we're getting top WRs. Huff's recruits--hard working athletes--keep the QB upright. Defensively the coaches have upgraded where needed.

We still need better players across the bored but don't see the holes --LB, QB, and most of the time WRS-- the Peterman (FTG) teams had

You want as many good players from all avenues. Saying that the portal is more important is unsustainable. Coaches knowing what their next season is going to look like for getting a couple of players is much more realistic than every single year hoping they hit perfect in the portal.

Two kicks at the can > one
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Looks like we're down to 27 x 4 Stars "In Progress"

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Only Clempson has won the whole thing in the CFP era with less than the magic number or 40 (they had 39 in 2016).

TCU has 17 last year. I don't recall were Oregon was in 2014 but it was low 30's, right?

Can UW be the first to do it with well below 40? We had 21 in 2016 including 4 star QB Jake Browning.

Don’t forget about the two 5 stars that left the team. How can UW survive without them
  • Options
    DoogmanRefundDoogmanRefund Member Posts: 761
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary

I used to think I understood recruiting and star rankings but I just don’t. I’ve given up.

I can't tell the difference between 3 and 4 stars anymore.

And I assume any 5 star we get (from WA state) will probably suck.
    Was Reggie Williams the last 5 star who went to UW and actually played like one?
    Shaq was and generally played like one. I think Reggie was.
    Shaq played like one. Good call. Those teams were mostly forgettable. Could have used him during the Manu/Wellington era.
    Shaq and Reggie are the only clearcut 5-5 guys signed by UW. Was ASJ a 5 star in the end? If so I think he can be added.

Instate during recruiting rankings I feel like a lot haven't panned out or at least underwhelmed:

Heaps - Bust. Original JT Daniels.
    Max Browne - Massive bust
    Eason - Underwhelmed.
    Jonathan Stewart - 5*-5*
    Reggie - 5*-5*
    Emeka - 5*-5*
    Kavario - Bust
    ASJ - 5*-5* but still kind of underwhelming
    Schilling - 5*-4*
    Garnett - 5*-5* I guess but I'll stand by that he was kind of just decent and McCaffrey was making plays and with Stanford's OLine pedigree at the time he slotted into a bunch of accolades then Chipper reached for him like way before anyone else would have.
    Sarrell - underwhelmed big time
    Taylor Mays - 5*-5*
    JTT - Jury is out. Let's see how the next 1-2 years actually go
    Sam Huard - Yikes fucking yikes - has there ever been a five star recruit and that high of a five star who ended up in FCS, and that quickly?
    Smalls - More yikes - can't crack the two deeps on Colorado's atrocious Line

Locker and Budda should have been 5*-5*s
    Completely forgot ASJ.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,043
    Swaye's Wigwam

Looks like we're down to 27 x 4 Stars "In Progress"

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Only Clempson has won the whole thing in the CFP era with less than the magic number or 40 (they had 39 in 2016).

TCU has 17 last year. I don't recall were Oregon was in 2014 but it was low 30's, right?

Can UW be the first to do it with well below 40? We had 21 in 2016 including 4 star QB Jake Browning.

Don’t forget about the two 5 stars that left the team. How can UW survive without them
    Well, technically speaking, this metric is about 4/5 start croots.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    Canadawg said:

Baseman said:

This is pro-football. Hth.

The portal>recruiting. Never would have thought it would have come to this but here we are, Recruit the top kids, keep in touch if they sign somewhere else. Roster mgmt.

Penix, Muhammad, Bernard (took him back). Keep winning and there will be more kids--college game ready--desirous to plug in with winning coaches.

Looks like we're getting top WRs. Huff's recruits--hard working athletes--keep the QB upright. Defensively the coaches have upgraded where needed.

We still need better players across the bored but don't see the holes --LB, QB, and most of the time WRS-- the Peterman (FTG) teams had

You want as many good players from all avenues. Saying that the portal is more important is unsustainable. Coaches knowing what their next season is going to look like for getting a couple of players is much more realistic than every single year hoping they hit perfect in the portal.

Two kicks at the can > one
    So, we still need better players across the bored?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    jesus....are we really impressed with their star?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    penis is a 6 star QB....last generational QB was Tui
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,167
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I used to think I understood recruiting and star rankings but I just don’t. I’ve given up.

I can't tell the difference between 3 and 4 stars anymore.

And I assume any 5 star we get (from WA state) will probably suck.
    Was Reggie Williams the last 5 star who went to UW and actually played like one?
    Shaq was and generally played like one. I think Reggie was.
    Shaq played like one. Good call. Those teams were mostly forgettable. Could have used him during the Manu/Wellington era.
    Shaq and Reggie are the only clearcut 5-5 guys signed by UW. Was ASJ a 5 star in the end? If so I think he can be added.

Instate during recruiting rankings I feel like a lot haven't panned out or at least underwhelmed:

Heaps - Bust. Original JT Daniels.
    Max Browne - Massive bust
    Eason - Underwhelmed.
    Jonathan Stewart - 5*-5*
    Reggie - 5*-5*
    Emeka - 5*-5*
    Kavario - Bust
    ASJ - 5*-5* but still kind of underwhelming
    Schilling - 5*-4*
    Garnett - 5*-5* I guess but I'll stand by that he was kind of just decent and McCaffrey was making plays and with Stanford's OLine pedigree at the time he slotted into a bunch of accolades then Chipper reached for him like way before anyone else would have.
    Sarrell - underwhelmed big time
    Taylor Mays - 5*-5*
    JTT - Jury is out. Let's see how the next 1-2 years actually go
    Sam Huard - Yikes fucking yikes - has there ever been a five star recruit and that high of a five star who ended up in FCS, and that quickly?
    Smalls - More yikes - can't crack the two deeps on Colorado's atrocious Line

Locker and Budda should have been 5*-5*s
    Not an in state guy but another 5* guy UW landed was Donny Mateaki and he played the equivalent of Cameron Elisaras career which was like a a Damian Turpin career
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,609
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I personally am a fan of the 2019 skwaad that was loaded with DDY 4s and DDY cum

Great fucking sqwaad
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited September 2023
    FireCohen said:

penis is a 6 star QB....last generational QB was Tui

The portal has completely changed the game. Saban hates the portal for exactly this reason. I remember a time before scholarship limits when schools like Alabama would use excess scholarships to take kids off the street, basically cut out the competition. Can't do anything remotely close to that now. Now, a school like UW can instantly grow a 6 star Penis. Good times I say.

Edit: By the way, the best player to ever play at UW, IMHO, was Stan Empterman. That guy was a fucking beast and a number one overall NFL draft pick. As a D Lineman. And as we all know, he was a three star recruit!!!!111111!!! Stars matter to some degree, fuck you up kick ass on the field eye test play matters more.