Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

what im hearing re: p12 network/tv contract/boofs bouncin

Comments

• Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,025
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    wilner out here saying its going to be special until it isnt:

with the Pac-12 football media festivities in July, the commissioner offers the opening remarks. But if Kliavkoff doesn’t have a media deal signed and announced by that point, the existential crisis will suck oxygen from a first-rate football product. In our opinion, it would be a PR nightmare.

p12 running out of runway here and there is so much fuckery in wilners quote im beyond it. 'first rate football product,' lmao, ok. 'pr nightmare,' this whole fucking thing has been a nightmare.

so he's saying 'if kliavkoff doesnt present then its bad?'

Kliavkoff can do whatever he wants so long as the presidents are on board with the strategy.
    He isn’t contractually bound to offer opening remarks and answer questions. The conference could simply introduce Colorado coach Deion Sanders, hand him the microphone for an hour and get on with the show.
    After all, Kliavkoff’s public presence at football media day shouldn’t have a material impact on the course of the negotiations.

so its no big deal? wtf.

regardless, this july date will come and go, just like wilner's 'the survival of the pac-12 drops by 3 points a week starting in march!' hot taek.

Because any league with the Huskies and Ducks naturally would include Washington State and Oregon State

i wouldnt bank on this.

two in the massive Bay Area media market

wilner must not have the latest stats on linear tv dying off. plus, cal/furd dont move the needle.

the conference could add San Diego State

i saw another poast about the zteks saying 'we want to leave mtn west.' they haven't joined the p12/10, yet. kliavkoff is pretty desperate (if you havent realized that by now then just wait until mora is hired as the UW coach! its his dream job!) and he's dangling them to the networks with the 'well, if we can get san diego state, will you up your offer.' its going to be one hell of a coincidence when the media deal is signed and it magically has a spot for two more teams.

again, all the screenshots you need.
  • Options
    i wanted to have a separate poast for this tidbit:

But based on the public comments at the time from several presidents, it’s reasonable to conclude that they believed a deal would be completed in March or early April.
    What happened? Three possibilities:
    — They misinterpreted the talking points provided by the conference office.
    — Something derailed Kliavkoff’s plans and forced him to start the negotiating process all over.
    — The conference agreed to the framework of a deal in March but was forced to delay taking the final step until this spring.

the first two definitely happened, the third, it doesnt matter.

league office - the clamor from the league was 'we're really close to a streaming and linear deal.' they are close for a streaming deal, either amazon or apple tv, tbh, i think its apple tv at this point. nothins changed with me on that, you have all the screenshots you need. that deal, however, was expected to be higher. media broadcasting rights are in a really fucked up spot right now, there's too many streaming channels/platforms, and iirc only nextflix is profitable. disney is going to start showing espn as a separate reporting entity, i dont know if this means theyre going to try to ipo them, they say they arent so that means they probably are, but short story long, they need to show theyre bringing profit. they can continue to sign the nfl, and to a lesser extent pat mcafee, but those draw viewers, our? third-rate conference does not. plus, you have nba media rights up next year, espn needs to hold on to all the money they can at this point. the streaming fun has ended, apple tv is somewhat excluded because its apple and apple is getting into sports. iirc, the current nfl media deal has an exit clause the league can execute in 2027 (i dont remember the year) but apple will try to re-up to get tnf from amazon.

the presidents agreeing to the grant of rights deal is nothing imo, none of them were going to say 'no, we're not going to follow along' because nobody else has a firm exit option, buffs be shopping but still want to see what george can pull off. i think the grant of rights is a big deal to wilner because its the only 'positive' thing to say about this shitshow.

tl;dr - shit hit the fan in march with networks, offers got pulled, streaming/linear environment is totally fucked.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options

TYFYS

I am way too invested in this eventual shit sandwich.

fyfmfe.
  • Options

“The leadership is better than it was, but it’s still not very good. I could give the new commissioner [George] Kliavkoff a pass maybe a year, year and a half ago because his predecessor literally ran this thing into the ground. But he’s had enough time. And I think so far, you have to give him a failing grade.”

wilner has to be so pissed about this, he has to be firing up the 'wait til kliavkoff gets his guys in there' article.

as much as big conferences dont want to expand at the moment, i think theyll be forced to take the cream of the crop, whether its the big 10 going after the northwest schools

we? gone?
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,987
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

the situation is fluid update:

• no p12 media deal will be announced during p12 media days.
    • the message on the deal is 'we're close.' the term 'close' is all pretty relative so the fuck do i know what 'close' is when it comes to talking about time
    • getting 'closer' with cbs to broadcast 8-10 primetime games (i believe this, cbs needs saturday night football to hype sunday football)
    • rest of p12 games go to amzn or apple (aint shit changed with me here)
    • will be 'close' to big 12 media deal
    • 'we?' still gone to the midwest rape league when that deal comes close to being up
    i report, you decide but again, get all the screenshots you need.
    We've never been wrong about rape here. Sounds legit to me.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,448
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2023

• the message on the deal is 'we're close.' the term 'close' is all pretty relative so the fuck do i know what 'close' is when it comes to talking about time
    • getting 'closer' with cbs to broadcast 8-10 primetime games (i believe this, cbs needs saturday night football to hype sunday football)
    • 'we?' still gone to the midwest rape league when that deal comes close to being up
    No CW?

Edit: Also, any word on SDSU and SMU joining in the future but not for 2024?
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

'we?' still gone to the midwest rape league when that deal comes close to being up

This is what bothers me. The expanded playoff after this year is prolonging the Pac as a barely viable league until 2026.

2026 the Pac won't be owed anything and the B1G can then "morally" poach Oregon and Washington.

So the two schools are going to agree to stay in this shit conference with equal revenue sharing because they don't have the balls to just come out and rip the band-aid off now.
  • Options

No CW?

No CW.

P10 is negotiating based on “10 or 12 members” so it’s not over for smu and sdsu.

probably gonna be a five year deal which puts us? “still in” the p10 until next big rape conference deal starts to get negotiated.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,922
    Founders Club

No CW?

No CW.

P10 is negotiating based on “10 or 12 members” so it’s not over for smu and sdsu.

probably gonna be a five year deal which puts us? “still in” the p10 until next big rape conference deal starts to get negotiated.
    Keep working those phones @rodmansrage!
  • Options

No CW?

No CW.

the CW sure as shit jumped all over the ACC as soon as bally's went tits up.
  • Options

TYFYS

fyfmfe.
    continuing with the shittiness of this post i present this:

Disney could soon sell its TV assets as Iger says business ‘may not be core’ to the company and then this article: Sports Media: Who could take a stake in ESPN? My sources weigh in

cliffs: iger would allow a PE firm to take a stake in espn. newspapers that have gone the PE route have been cut to the bone (which should have happened with where print media has gone) and its going to be interesting to see what happens to ESPN if they go that route.

wont impact the p12 but could be interesting to see what the nba media bid looks like and cornhole is probably done.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,527
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

TYFYS

fyfmfe.

Disney could soon sell its TV assets as Iger says business ‘may not be core’ to the company and then this article: Sports Media: Who could take a stake in ESPN? My sources weigh in

cliffs: iger would allow a PE firm to take a stake in espn. newspapers that have gone the PE route have been cut to the bone (which should have happened with where print media has gone) and its going to be interesting to see what happens to ESPN if they go that route.

wont impact the p12 but could be interesting to see what the nba media bid looks like and cornhole is probably done.
    No more Ocho?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

TYFYS

fyfmfe.

I'm surprised cornhole survived this long in the first place. It was one of the only sports that could be played/shown during covid and that was its only real appeal.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    I’d rather ESPN show cornhole than more of their talking head programs. Sitting in a bar day drinking? Cornhole is fucking perfect for that.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sitting in a bar day drinking? Shitpoasting is fucking perfect for that.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

TYFYS

fyfmfe.

I'm surprised cornhole survived this long in the first place. It was one of the only sports that could be played/shown during covid and that was its only real appeal.
    I'm pretty good at turning a blind eye to things that don't initially interest or appeal to me. I still don't even know WTF cornhole is. I assumed it involved throwing darts or bean bags or something at someone's asshole. I guess that must not be the case.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2023
    chuck said:

haie said:

TYFYS

fyfmfe.

I'm pretty good at turning a blind eye to things that don't initially interest or appeal to me. I still don't even know WTF cornhole is. I assumed it involved throwing darts or bean bags or something at someone's asshole. I guess that must not be the case.
    Most breweries should have it. Axe throwing is different and doesn't appeal to me. Also loud and obnoxious as fuck when people are playing and suck at it.