Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Gonzaga

Comments

• EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,989
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I don't hate Gonzaga the way a lot of Husky fans do but you can probably trace the steady downfall of the quality, excitement, and general interest of college basketball with their rise.

Doogs hate Gonzaga.

I can't really hate a program that UW SHOULD be like. UW, through incompetence and indifference, instead is a fucking joke.

I would say the exact opposite.

Zags are similar to cuogs in that they could be a natural in-state rival for the specific UW program.

As a true DWAG, not a DOOG, you are REQUIRED to strongly dislike all things cuog and zag.

Hate? All the better.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

They make the s16 or e8 almost every year. I can't hate them when I've seen I think 2 UW s16 in my life.

Yes. Yes you surely can. Give it a try and see.
    They're not Oregon, it'll feel too Cougy for me.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Doogles said:

Gonzaga has been to the Natty game twice recently. It's not a fluke.

They also recruit like a big boy school now, always seem to have some eurotrash skilled big, and talented roll players.

They will be fine in any conference they play in, it's weird to assume they wouldn't.

Dialed in, as usual.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Doogles said:

They also recruit like a big boy school now, always seem to have some eurotrash skilled big, and talented roll players.

They will be fine in any conference they play in, it's weird to assume they wouldn't.

"Fine" as in make the tourney every year? Surely you jest.
    They've made the sweet 16 8 years in a row or something ridiculous. Please stop it's corny at this point.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

They've made the sweet 16 8 years in a row or something ridiculous. Please stop it's corny at this point.

Shut up.

Doogles said:

I've stopped caring so I wouldn't have a problem if they finished the deal. After they beat my Bruins I was ready to see it happen

I watched a recording of the Conn game. To the end. Still enjoy a good curb stomp. Can't help it

I had no idea the Huskies were that good
    Top 3 metrics wise on offense. Top 5 on defense. Chest's darling. They were super underseeded they had a weird start to conference play.
  • Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I don’t hate Gonzaga, I just hate their stupid fucking fans.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/worst-college-basketball-fans

8. Gonzaga University Bulldogs

Gonzaga fans make Florida fans seem grounded. By their logic, winning the vaunted West Coast Conference, getting an undeserved high seed, beating a couple of liberal arts schools then getting bounced by the first real team you face every year makes you a "perennial." Zag fans love to delusionally wax poetic about there being "something special at Gonzaga." Gonzaga, if you didn’t know, is in Spokane. What Zag fans don’t realize is they’re not a big fish in a small pond; they’re a big fish in a bathtub. Gonzaga’s roster mostly consists of guys from legit programs who transferred so they could see what winning was like by beating up on St. Mary’s and Loyola Marymount. The dirty fact no Zag fan wants to admit is when they face big state schools, the team is average. Beat Ohio State, lose to Florida. Beat Duke, lose to Tennessee. There’s a word for that in big-time basketball conferences: "mediocrity."

Literally its the fans. They keep comparing their accomplishments to Duke or Kentucky, but it was done by being an absolute Goliath. Remember Butler? Remember how they went to two finals in a row. The Gonzaga of the Midwest. Remember how once they joined the Big East it became much tougher to make the tourney every year? Gonzaga's run has been incubated by their presence in the WCC. The run is impressive, but lets not act like it happens in a major conference.

Most teams that a 1 or 2 seed make the sweet 16.

As the article states above most of those sweet 16 runs, were against a 16 seed, and a then an 8 or 9.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,395
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Gonzaga fans make Florida fans seem grounded. By their logic, winning the vaunted West Coast Conference, getting an undeserved high seed, beating a couple of liberal arts schools then getting bounced by the first real team you face every year makes you a "perennial." Zag fans love to delusionally wax poetic about there being "something special at Gonzaga." Gonzaga, if you didn’t know, is in Spokane. What Zag fans don’t realize is they’re not a big fish in a small pond; they’re a big fish in a bathtub. Gonzaga’s roster mostly consists of guys from legit programs who transferred so they could see what winning was like by beating up on St. Mary’s and Loyola Marymount. The dirty fact no Zag fan wants to admit is when they face big state schools, the team is average. Beat Ohio State, lose to Florida. Beat Duke, lose to Tennessee. There’s a word for that in big-time basketball conferences: "mediocrity."

Literally its the fans. They keep comparing their accomplishments to Duke or Kentucky, but it was done by being an absolute Goliath. Remember Butler? Remember how they went to two finals in a row. The Gonzaga of the Midwest. Remember how once they joined the Big East it became much tougher to make the tourney every year? Gonzaga's run has been incubated by their presence in the WCC. The run is impressive, but lets not act like it happens in a major conference.

As the article states above most of those sweet 16 runs, were against a 16 seed, and a then an 8 or 9.
    Those are generally the perks of earning a high seed.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,395
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

This was after the ucla game:

Top-10 of the field (as in overall ranking), not 1-10 seed?
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I don’t hate the Huskies, I just hate their stupid fucking fans.

• CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,047
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2023

Doogles said:

"Fine" as in make the tourney every year? Surely you jest.
    Exactly. Winning four games in a row against decent teams is very hard (winning the first two games as a high seed is almost automatic and isn't unlike GU's conference schedule). There is a good reason why the Zags have never won the NCAA tournament. If they were half as good as their fans think, they would have put together one good string of wins in 25 years. NOTE: They HAVE NOT.

I think I see the problem. GU doesn't offer any classes in logic. And, I guess, for good reason.

This was after the ucla game:

It does not seem IMPOSSIBLE AT ALL. It actually fits the most accurate narrative if you have paid attention AT ALL during the past quarter century.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Such doog in this thread.

Get on the Fire Hop! bandwagon or STFU.

Bunch of coogs.

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Such doog in this thread.

Get on the Fire Cohen! bandwagon or STFU.

Bunch of coogs.

FTFY to reflect the root cause