Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Gonzaga

124»

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,053
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

haie said:

I don't hate Gonzaga the way a lot of Husky fans do but you can probably trace the steady downfall of the quality, excitement, and general interest of college basketball with their rise.

Doogs hate Gonzaga.

I can't really hate a program that UW SHOULD be like. UW, through incompetence and indifference, instead is a fucking joke.

It's more like their fans act like they're Duke when their coach, who should at least be at Pepperdine or UCLA (or UW), chose to stay in Spokane.

There is nothing to suggest that they can sustain this after Few crashes into a stoplight.

And if you don't have a football program, then shut the fuck up.
    Meh. They can be as arrogant as the want. UW is their bitch in basketball.

If they talk smack outside of basketball, fuck em. But in basketball I say let them chirp. UW is an embarrassment.
    This
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Such doog in this thread.

Get on the Fire Hop! bandwagon or STFU.

Bunch of coogs.

You underestimate the cathartic value of hate.

Ask @haie and @RaceBannon for a remediation course on this. I would have previously directed you to @MikeDamone, but we all know what happened there.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,518
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    EwaDawg said:

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/worst-college-basketball-fans

8. Gonzaga University Bulldogs

Gonzaga fans make Florida fans seem grounded. By their logic, winning the vaunted West Coast Conference, getting an undeserved high seed, beating a couple of liberal arts schools then getting bounced by the first real team you face every year makes you a "perennial." Zag fans love to delusionally wax poetic about there being "something special at Gonzaga." Gonzaga, if you didn’t know, is in Spokane. What Zag fans don’t realize is they’re not a big fish in a small pond; they’re a big fish in a bathtub. Gonzaga’s roster mostly consists of guys from legit programs who transferred so they could see what winning was like by beating up on St. Mary’s and Loyola Marymount. The dirty fact no Zag fan wants to admit is when they face big state schools, the team is average. Beat Ohio State, lose to Florida. Beat Duke, lose to Tennessee. There’s a word for that in big-time basketball conferences: "mediocrity."

Literally its the fans. They keep comparing their accomplishments to Duke or Kentucky, but it was done by being an absolute Goliath. Remember Butler? Remember how they went to two finals in a row. The Gonzaga of the Midwest. Remember how once they joined the Big East it became much tougher to make the tourney every year? Gonzaga's run has been incubated by their presence in the WCC. The run is impressive, but lets not act like it happens in a major conference.

Most teams that a 1 or 2 seed make the sweet 16.

As the article states above most of those sweet 16 runs, were against a 16 seed, and a then an 8 or 9.
    This was after the ucla game:

It does not seem IMPOSSIBLE AT ALL. It actually fits the most accurate narrative if you have paid attention AT ALL during the past quarter century.
    It's kind of a stupid tweet and is written in a misleading way. All that says is they haven't faced a 1 or 2 seed. When you're the 1 or 2 seed every year you're never going to face another highly seeded team until the Elite 8. Making it that far most years is reflective of a pretty good program. That's also kind of how the tournament ends up going many years anymore given how diluted CBB now is.

I think the tournament should be completely overhauled and replaced with pods like in the World Cup. You'd still get some upsets, but more likely to see the best teams get through in more of a round robin format without shifting to actual best-of series.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,859
    edited March 2023

Such doog in this thread.

Get on the Fire Hop! bandwagon or STFU.

Bunch of coogs.

You underestimate the cathartic value of hate.

Ask @haie and @RaceBannon for a remediation course on this. I would have previously directed you to @MikeDamone, but we all know what happened there.
    It is easier to be filled with a lot of @haie in one’s interwebs life versus kicking the dog in real life

I’ll grant you that.
  • Options
    theLSkidtheLSkid Member Posts: 344
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Living in Spokane has given me the opportunity to truly get to know and hate GU.

Seeing that Drew and Strawberry like to party with a gay booster (usually in a private room in borrachos) at spokanes finest gay bars and clubs is something that shocked me, watching Anton Watson be a complete dickhead to bar staff, does not.

I was too old to get to play against his son but had plenty friends who did - that kid was TERRIBLE and the fact that he’s on the GU team proves they don’t have to have a high standard for recruiting because their conference is not competitive.

“Bio: Second-oldest child of Gonzaga coach Mark Few joins Bulldogs as a freshman walk-on after a two-year stint at Spokane’s Gonzaga Prep. Made 32 appearances for Bullpups, averaging 7.7 points per game as a senior while scoring season-high 23 points at Cheney. Played in state tournament as a junior, helping G-Prep go 18-18 and finish second in district with league record of 12-2.”

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    theLSkid said:

I was too old to get to play against his son but had plenty friends who did - that kid was TERRIBLE and the fact that he’s on the GU team proves they don’t have to have a high standard for recruiting because their conference is not competitive.

No it doesn’t. All it proves is that you don’t follow college basketball very closely.

Hate GU all you want, I hate them too. But don’t hate for retarded reasons.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,859
    edited March 2023
    theLSkid said:

Living in Spokane has given me the opportunity to truly get to know and hate GU.

Seeing that Drew and Strawberry like to party with a gay booster (usually in a private room in borrachos) at spokanes finest gay bars and clubs is something that shocked me, watching Anton Watson be a complete dickhead to bar staff, does not.

“Bio: Second-oldest child of Gonzaga coach Mark Few joins Bulldogs as a freshman walk-on after a two-year stint at Spokane’s Gonzaga Prep. Made 32 appearances for Bullpups, averaging 7.7 points per game as a senior while scoring season-high 23 points at Cheney. Played in state tournament as a junior, helping G-Prep go 18-18 and finish second in district with league record of 12-2.”

It's a thing now. Lots of D1 coaches kids are 13th man on the bench.

Danny Hurley's kid even got in for UConn during garbage time .

Joe is not good.

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    theLSkid said:

What's shocking about a couple of guysms being gay?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,377
    Swaye's Wigwam

theLSkid said:

Nothing

Still very rare in men's sports to come out

Is it the fans or the other players?

Certainly the sponsors and teams would welcome it for pride month and 81% of the media would be supportive
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,267
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    This is getting into @Fire_Marshall_Bill territory
  • Options
    theLSkidtheLSkid Member Posts: 344

theLSkid said:

Not shocking that they are gay - not that there’s anything wrong with that.
    The booster is known for being a major creep on young dudes at the bars, borderline stalker. That’s the more “shocking” part
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

theLSkid said:

Nothing.

Wanna cyber?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,053
    Founders Club
    @Swaye and @dnc's silence speak volumes
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992

Come for the Gonzaga trash talk, stay for the Spokane gay scene hawt talk

Tomato Tumahto
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,854
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dannarc said:

What does that mean?
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,022
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

dannarc said:

What does that mean?
    That we? want to light ourselves on fire after having a 4 page thread about Gonzaga on the football bored.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,267
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

dannarc said:

What does that mean?
    That we? want to light ourselves on fire after having a 4 page thread about Gonzaga on the football bored.
    This
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,854
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dannarc said:

What does that mean?

dannarc said:

What does that mean?
    Mods didn't move it...