Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Program Is Over

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,561
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't argue faith or politics on the internet

Allegedly
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,833
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2023

Canadawg said:

TheHB said:

Hey B1G …

Why does college football insist on making this so fucking hard? 32 best programs into four 8 team divisions.

- Gay NFL Fan
    Bruh, I've got letters in the most traditionalist, change averse college sport in America. We (?) fucking invented college sports by the way.

No one on this board is more of luddite about college football than Yella. But the dickheads in charge (along with the kids and their parents) ruined everything that was great about the sport a long time ago. What's worth saving about the traditional conferences at this point? Bring on the gay ass NFL 32 best teams super conference.

One of the things I struggle to accept is the notion that UCLA's soccer team will have to fly to fucking New Jersey to play Rutgers in a conference match. And that West Virginia tennis teams fly to the Texas Panhandle to play a conference match against the Red Raiders. Etc. That whole notion of regional rivalries and traditions that go back a century, none of it matters enough in the end. So to that end, I agree with you.
    I feel like I'm always saying this.
    One thing seems simple to me that football should be different than the other sports conference wise, even basketball. These sports should possibly be made even more regionals since no one gives a fuck. College football put wheels in motion to make it really only survive eventually with super conferences.

I feel like this overall created a situation that forced all the Pac-12 schools to be in lose-lose situations but to make a jump for survivability. The LA schools were just the first to get offered a semi-life raft.

The best choice is probably for UW to go to the Big Ten, if they can get an offer. They could be fine in a zombie Pac-12 but they will absolutely have to dominate and find a way to immediately schedule more marque non-conference games.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

TheHB said:

Hey B1G …

Why does college football insist on making this so fucking hard? 32 best programs into four 8 team divisions.

- Gay NFL Fan
    Bruh, I've got letters in the most traditionalist, change averse college sport in America. We (?) fucking invented college sports by the way.

No one on this board is more of luddite about college football than Yella. But the dickheads in charge (along with the kids and their parents) ruined everything that was great about the sport a long time ago. What's worth saving about the traditional conferences at this point? Bring on the gay ass NFL 32 best teams super conference.

You contradict yourself. Do you support college football becoming the NFL or do you support it keeping its traditions?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,728
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

TheHB said:

Hey B1G …

- Gay NFL Fan

One of the things I struggle to accept is the notion that UCLA's soccer team will have to fly to fucking New Jersey to play Rutgers in a conference match. And that West Virginia tennis teams fly to the Texas Panhandle to play a conference match against the Red Raiders. Etc. That whole notion of regional rivalries and traditions that go back a century, none of it matters enough in the end. So to that end, I agree with you.
    I'm no expert but that seems like some unacceptably bad economics. It's not my money but that much waste bugs me. There has to be a better way that keeps non revenue sports from leaving their region and traditional rivalries.
    If the economy does have some sort of epic crash, the economics of conference realignment may prove infeasible
    That's an interesting notion. How epic does an economic crash have to be before it has a meaningful, lasting impact on the sports world? It hasn't happened in my lifetime that I'm aware of.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,482
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I don't argue faith or politics on the internet

Allegedly

Link?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Christianity is a subversive religion that thrives under oppression

State religion is the worst thing that ever happened to it

I'd like to see this play out a little more in the Tug.
    I could argue his point both ways. America became great in large part because of its protestant Christian foundation. Its water-down tolerance has arguably led to its downfall too, but that's another story.
    Let's talk abortion.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

I could argue his point both ways. America became great in large part because of its protestant Christian foundation. Its water-down tolerance has arguably led to its downfall too, but that's another story.
    You’re both right, integration into government is the worst thing that ever happened to the church but the best thing that happened to the government.

Abundance.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's the individual who made America great
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,577
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

TheHB said:

Hey B1G …

- Gay NFL Fan

You contradict yourself. Do you support college football becoming the NFL or do you support it keeping its traditions?
    Your logic is flawed my Canuck fren. What are the traditions left for saving at this point? It's not what I wanted, but you can't stop "progress" as they say.

USC and UCLA are gone. The Rose Bowl isn't a match up of the winner of the Pac vs winner of the Big most of the time. We're going to a 12 team (a la NFL style play off).

A format where UW plays USC, UCLA, and Oregon, every year matters more to me than saving a rump of the Pac-12. In fact, this does more to save the most important traditional regional games. You've gotta kill the Pac to save West Coast Football.
    The 12 team playoff I hope causes some realignment along with better money for some of the not blue bloods/elite schools. I would prefer six 8 team leagues (all conference winners make the playoffs) then the other 90 schools can fight for playoff spots.
    I get tired of having the existing 5 premier leagues champions not making the 4 team play off - one champion (I should have said PAC12) is always getting screwed.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The individual comes from the Protestant reformation.
    That was the rebirth of it

The printing press made it happen

For centuries the church kept the Bible under lock and key

The reform movement was co opted like all movements are

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,723
    Founders Club

Can’t wait to drive 15min to watch the dwags with up to 32k of Dallas’ douchest dbags

Real facts: SMU might have the hottest coeds in the conference

Apparently SMU is doing a $100 million stadium expansion. Maybe they're serious about football.
  • Options
    Sandra6Sandra6 Member Posts: 147
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Can’t wait to drive 15min to watch the dwags with up to 32k of Dallas’ douchest dbags

Real facts: SMU might have the hottest coeds in the conference

Apparently SMU is doing a $100 million stadium expansion. Maybe they're serious about football.

What good will stadium expansion do if you’re not even selling out your current stadium?

Honestly, selling 20,000 Sears in a 40,000 seat stadium looks even more embarrassing than selling 20,000 seats in a 30,000 seat stadium. A TV viewer will see 20,000 empty seats rather than 10,000 empty seats.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited February 2023

I tried badly to make this argument in the tug and got it crammed up my cram hole. I was told that Western values are Christian values, that they are instrinsic to our culture, our institutions, and our basic ideas about morality, and that therefore there need not, and should not, be a wall separating [that] church and state. I used to disagree.

With my new found views on abortion and related moral imperatives, I've now come around to that line of thinking and, therefore, sir, must disagree. It is [Western] God that made America great. Manifest destiny. Look it up.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,674
    Founders Club

The country's protestant Christian tradition wasn't a state religion though. Quite the opposite. And the side benefits of it are critical as to why the US (or Great Britain or Germany or the Dutch) became so wealthy and successful. No one here articulated the argument better than noted Tug Con @Dennis_DeYoung .

#NotATugComment
    Bretton Woods combined with the psychological effects of a protestant Christian tradition is what led to all the wealth.