Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Is DeBoer a More PC Version of Sark?

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    dannarc said:

Tequilla said:

dannarc said:

Fuck the fuck off Tequila, in regards to the Sark comparisons

Can't wait to see people here bitching about 7-win DeBoer
    Your headline " is KDB a more PC version of Sark?" Well? Whats that supposed to mean? KDB has been pretty honest with the assessment of play. As a head coach you may know and think it, but you can't come out and start tearing ass halfway into a season, he needs to remain calm and calculated and that's the difference between him and Jimmy(St. Ruperakes day miracle). How KDB will be judged is how he responds to the defense issue, unfortunately he doesn't have many bullets in the gun, and as you alluded to, recruiting isn't exactly on fire, so he's in a tough position to win with Jimmys rejects and some portal dudes. If he finishes strong, recruiting will bounce, if not, it will remain mediocre. Dudes in a tough position. He knows how to run a offense and he doesn't have shit innthe secondary to compete right now
    If he doesn’t have the dudes then he needs to be doubling down with recruiting

Doesn’t matter how good of a coach you are if you don’t have the talent
    Baseman said:

Jesus, Mary, and Joesph.

Deboner=Sark?

DeBoner: No excuses. No house money. No moral victories. Have it from good authority he arrives earlier to work and stays later than Sark, Peterman, and Lake. It's year 1.

Go look at any HOF, or "elite" Power-5 college coach and see what they did year 1. Except for Switzer and Osborne who both inherited top teams, most struggled or were mediocre

Rockne: 3-1-2
    Woody Hayes: 4-3-1
    Bear Bryant: Kentucky (7-3) Texas AM (1-9) BAMA (5-4-1)
    Switzer: 10-0-1 (inherited 11-1 team)
    James: Kent State (3-8) UW (6-5; Year 2: 5-6)
    Osborne: 9-2-1 (inherited 9-2 #5 ranked team)
    Saban: Mich State (6-5-1) LSU (8-4) Bama (2-6)
    Carroll: 6-6
    Urban: 9-3
    Swinney: 4-3

NIL remains an issue. QB Quinn Ewers has already received $3.2M, cash. $1.4M from Ohio State and a $1.8M deal from Texas. Meanwhile Pennix, who two weeks ago was considered a Heisman candidate received ~$2,000 for a t-shirt deal and scored $350 ($175 per) for two KJR interviews.

Yeah, sure excuses and big dick coaches can sell anything. We? are so far away from competitive when it comes to current blue-chip recruiting. It used to be $50,0000-$100,000, maybe $250k for the elite recruit. Not anymore.

Recruiting doesn't matter until it does. We didn't sign an inside linebacker for three years. In Jimmy's last recruiting class, DBU gave a second string high school corner a scholarship because stars didn't matter and we were elite. Meanwhile, former elite secondary coach Will Harris chose Clay Helton and Ga So. over offers from all Blue Bloods desperate for Will's elite recruiting and development.

Sark. Really?

The Sark referencing was more towards the 7-8 win ceiling that Sark had and barring items changing its hard to envision DeBoer getting past that

You’re right so much of the NIL stuff is comical and it takes every part of me not to take the gloves off anytime that some UW NIL talking piece tries to say they’re market competitive when we absolutely know that they aren’t.

The biggest fear I have with DeBoer is that he is the right coach but we’re so uncompetitive in recruiting that he’ll never get the talent to show that he is that guy.

The first year historically can be a tough one for many reasons … it’s also more true than ever that turnarounds can happen quite quickly with the ability to reshape rosters

The job is harder now than it ever has been
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,583
    Every coach is sark potd
  • Seven_ElevenSeven_Eleven Member Posts: 111
    Tequilla said:

The biggest fear I have with DeBoer is that he is the right coach but we’re so uncompetitive in recruiting that he’ll never get the talent to show that he is that guy.

That can't happen to "the right coach".
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,276 Swaye's Wigwam
    Well first season actual games I do see some comparisons. Both came out the gate and scored giant wins at home over highly ranked teams that turned out to just be horribly overrated. Both then had to go on the road and got clocked by solid, but unremarkable conference opponents.

Don't really see much other than that.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,176
    The endless Sark battered spouse posts are the biggest weakness of this bored. He hasn't coaches here for almost a decade at this point.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    Tequilla said:

Baseman said:

Jesus, Mary, and Joesph.

Deboner=Sark?

DeBoner: No excuses. No house money. No moral victories. Have it from good authority he arrives earlier to work and stays later than Sark, Peterman, and Lake. It's year 1.

Go look at any HOF, or "elite" Power-5 college coach and see what they did year 1. Except for Switzer and Osborne who both inherited top teams, most struggled or were mediocre

NIL remains an issue. QB Quinn Ewers has already received $3.2M, cash. $1.4M from Ohio State and a $1.8M deal from Texas. Meanwhile Pennix, who two weeks ago was considered a Heisman candidate received ~$2,000 for a t-shirt deal and scored $350 ($175 per) for two KJR interviews.

Yeah, sure excuses and big dick coaches can sell anything. We? are so far away from competitive when it comes to current blue-chip recruiting. It used to be $50,0000-$100,000, maybe $250k for the elite recruit. Not anymore.

Recruiting doesn't matter until it does. We didn't sign an inside linebacker for three years. In Jimmy's last recruiting class, DBU gave a second string high school corner a scholarship because stars didn't matter and we were elite. Meanwhile, former elite secondary coach Will Harris chose Clay Helton and Ga So. over offers from all Blue Bloods desperate for Will's elite recruiting and development.

Sark. Really?

The Sark referencing was more towards the 7-8 win ceiling that Sark had and barring items changing its hard to envision DeBoer getting past that

You’re right so much of the NIL stuff is comical and it takes every part of me not to take the gloves off anytime that some UW NIL talking piece tries to say they’re market competitive when we absolutely know that they aren’t.

The first year historically can be a tough one for many reasons … it’s also more true than ever that turnarounds can happen quite quickly with the ability to reshape rosters

DeBoners background shows a history of development, His NAIA success is stoopid. No resources, no bagman. No winning with Ron Zook's guyzm.

Courtney Morgan and J. Shepherd were good additions. Dante Williams was in as DB coach, asst D cordinator until he saw our NIL program and Jen.

I have zero affiliation with DeBoner other than what I see and have heard. He'll win in spite of the AD. I expected 8, maybe 9 wins this year from a 4 win team that lost to Montana. There will be portal-players like Pennix, good without a high NIL market, who will pick Washington because of DeBoner.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,523 Swaye's Wigwam
    @Tequilla needs to stick to power point slides and convincing his employer he's worth more than 0$.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

Baseman said:

Jesus, Mary, and Joesph.

Deboner=Sark?

Sark. Really?

I agree with this.

DeBoer is a good enough football coach in my opinion to win big. Would love to see this offense with the current players and a high level running back but that’s a dream at this point. He may be the type that has to spend big on a defensive staff to pull it off all together.

But the lack of commitment from the AD to what college football is now is likely going to hold back the program no matter who is in charge. If we don’t see an effort to go buy a defense in both staff and players after this season Burn it down.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    Tequilla said:

Baseman said:

Jesus, Mary, and Joesph.

Deboner=Sark?

Sark. Really?

Sark was also given a "recruiting budget" with enough leeway and creative lack of institutional oversight to sign Shaq Thompson. Meanwhile, we had a Woke Duck alumn with daddy issues running point for us.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,509 Standard Supporter
    Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

Baseman said:

Jesus, Mary, and Joesph.

Deboner=Sark?

Sark. Really?

I have zero affiliation with DeBoner other than what I see and have heard. He'll win in spite of the AD. I expected 8, maybe 9 wins this year from a 4 win team that lost to Montana. There will be portal-players like Pennix, good without a high NIL market, who will pick Washington because of DeBoner.
    Gonna run out of dudes he coached at Indiana pretty quickly.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,819 Swaye's Wigwam
    dtd said:

Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

Baseman said:

Jesus, Mary, and Joesph.

Deboner=Sark?

Sark. Really?

Gonna run out of dudes he coached at Indiana pretty quickly.
    Why do you hate Fresno State?
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,291 Swaye's Wigwam
    Those offensive numbers are lower than you’d think, but have you considered that we haven’t gotten to play us???
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    haie said:

@Tequilla needs to stick to power point slides and convincing his employer he's worth more than 0$.

that was a HARD wordle
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,450 Founders Club

I’m still bullish on DeBoer. Last week was really fucking concerning. Fresno State is absolutely terrible this year and it’s another data point in DeBoer’s favor. The schools he coaches at get better when he’s there and suck when he leaves.

The Sark stuff is a reach, but Morell so far looks like DeBoer’s Nick Holt. He needs to go if there isn’t big improvement by the end of the year. I guess he’s also been terrible on the road like Sark too.

DeBoer is a great offensive coach. We aren’t perfect on offense, but we are very good.

The defense is concerning. There are injuries and the talent in the secondary is not great, but that is not an excuse to be this bad. You gotta get these guys to play better. The pass rush was bad last week too. I suspect it will be better this week at home, but the effort needs to be there every week.

DeBoer needs to hit the portal hard for players on defense. If he’s the guy, he will. It’s easy on CFB to get better quickly because of the portal.

How much diff. maker talent is really in the portal? My back of the envelope calc. looks like a trading of kids who left and came to the program b/c the grass looked greener on the other side of the fence (ie playing time) and in 3/4 instances it ends up being the same for the player.

I’m still glad we hired DeBoer instead over Matt Campbell. I would love their DC instead of Morrell.

Campbell looks to me to have missed his window to move

At some point you move from the upstart coach that has pulled Iowa St to levels they’ve never seen to being the long term Iowa St coach that can’t get above 7-8 win seasons as your ceiling and there is no shine left

I can understand not wanting to hitch to Jen and the NIL program but was that a worse decision than staying at Iowa St?